Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lyman bullet lube sizer die to caliber

Boolit Bub

Lyman bullet lube sizer die to caliber

I'm new and need to know if there is a die chart to caliber for bullet/lube dies and top punch for each caliber so I'm not guessing on buying any help is appreciated.

Boolit Master
    ideally you want to slug your bore to get a measurement of what size you want your cast bullets to be. I try to size cast bullets as big as I can as long as the loaded round will chamber in the gun. for 9mm bullets I lube size at .358 and it does well in the gun I have. in 45 colt for my rifle I lube size at .454.
    there are lots of folks here that can tell you about 45acp and 223 that know a whole bunch more than I do.
    if you look at Lyman web site it will have a top punch number for each bullet mold. or order a catalog from them for most recent printed version.

On their web site catalog:

Boolit Grand Master

You realy ... realy ... realy need to invest in a copy of Lymans Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition is in print and easily available .
    It has more information in there than you you would believe .
    There are answers to questions you haven't thought to ask .
    The first 18 Chapters , 94 pages , are information you would be wise to read . The remainder of the book is cast boolit Load Data Rifle and Handgun ... 320 pages !
    My advice ...Buy It and Read It !
    The inter web and forums are nice but the Cast Bullet Handbook is a necessity for the boolit caster and loader .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Bub
    I use a flat top punch for almost all bullets. The flat punch lets the bullet center going into the sizer. It does put a slight flat point on round nosed bullets, but that does no harm. I don't shoot many pointed cast bullets. If you don't want to slug the bore, check fit in a fired case. A slightly snug fit usually works fine. I don't mess with gas checks in revolvers. They shoot just fine plain based. Size revolver bullets to a snug passage through the chamber exits.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Rules of thumb , size .001-2 over groove dia in anything that doesn't have a cylinder gap . Size for a friction fit in the cylinder for those with a cyl gap .

9mm, 38/357 are one caliber and it's not unusual to find a .357 dia 9mm and I've seen first hand a .356 barrel on a 357 mag . 380 so far seems to hold close to it's called out .355/6 .

223/556 tends to be .223/4 I haven't seen one enough under .223 or over .224 to worry about .

All of my 45 pistols have .452 grooves but cylinders run from .453-.4545 for both ACP and Colts . The single auto is a cheap carbine and digests .454 as well as anything else .
    The Colts Carbine has a .450 groove but chambers , shoots , and feeds .454 without issue .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    You realy ... realy ... realy need to invest in a copy of Lymans Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition is in print and easily available .
    It has more information in there than you you would believe .
    There are answers to questions you haven't thought to ask .
    The first 18 Chapters , 94 pages , are information you would be wise to read . The remainder of the book is cast boolit Load Data Rifle and Handgun ... 320 pages !
    My advice ...Buy It and Read It !
    The inter web and forums are nice but the Cast Bullet Handbook is a necessity for the boolit caster and loader .
    Gary
    Thank you sir I ordered that very book

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewbaby View Post
    On their web site catalog:

thank you for this reply I saved the pics to my phone and tablet for quick reference

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    ideally you want to slug your bore to get a measurement of what size you want your cast bullets to be. I try to size cast bullets as big as I can as long as the loaded round will chamber in the gun. for 9mm bullets I lube size at .358 and it does well in the gun I have. in 45 colt for my rifle I lube size at .454.
    there are lots of folks here that can tell you about 45acp and 223 that know a whole bunch more than I do.
    if you look at Lyman web site it will have a top punch number for each bullet mold. or order a catalog from them for most recent printed version.
    this is why I really like this site thanks for your knowledge sir

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 5614estell View Post
    I use a flat top punch for almost all bullets. The flat punch lets the bullet center going into the sizer. It does put a slight flat point on round nosed bullets, but that does no harm. I don't shoot many pointed cast bullets. If you don't want to slug the bore, check fit in a fired case. A slightly snug fit usually works fine. I don't mess with gas checks in revolvers. They shoot just fine plain based. Size revolver bullets to a snug passage through the chamber exits.
    I need to read up more on slugging the bore thanks sir