Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: tang sight Lyman vs marbles vs Varner vs MVA

Boolit Master

tang sight Lyman vs marbles vs Varner vs MVA

anyone have experience with recent production tang sight.

The Marbles I bought for my Uberty 1873 had a windage knob. the Lyman was only shown with elevation. I had a New Lyman on my old 1894 Winchester and it also had only elevation.
    It was ok as windage was right on with front sight centerd anyway.
    A Boy in a Old Man's Body. I Shoulda Been a Cowboy

Boolit Master
    I’ve got new marbles tang sights on my first year Marlin 39a, Miroku 1892, and Rossi 92. All good.

I have no experience with the Varner & MVA sights; but have owned/used several different Lyman & Marbles tang peep sights.

Since I want a sight that's "set-n-forget", both the Lyman & The more expensive Marble's are equal for my needs.

The reason the Marble's a bit more expensive is because it has built-in windage adjustment; whereas the Lyman's windage is easily adjusted via shimming under one side or the other of the installed tang sight base.

Both sights have adequate elevation adjustments.

Last edited by pietro; 09-05-2021 at 09:46 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    MVA sights are in a class all by themselves. Since the early 90's they have produced a modern reproduction of original sights. However the fit and finish is to a standard far superior to a 120 year old original. They're Soule line of tang sights, with a true windage adjustable base is a shooters dream come true. MVA might be the most noted of the high quality tang sight makers, however Baldwin, Kelly and Shaver vernier sights should not be overlooked.

The Lyman and Marbles sight are fine for a plinking or hunting rifle. With a Soule windage adjustable base on a vernier tang sight one can make a quick adjustment and be shooting dead center. The Lyman and Marble tang sights do not have a vernier scale for making quick repeatable elevation adjustments either. An elevation adjustment on a quality vernier tang sight takes 15-20 seconds.

The sights from the Vernier makers are expensive. But you get what you pay for! Lee Shaver makes an economical Soule with less attention to the finishing at 260$.
    Rick

Boolit Master

my 2 cents-the Lyman/Marbles are for hunting rifles, i.e. not buffalo hunting. Within the effective range of the rifle, off hand, the sight is good enough. Windage is just hold a bit this side or that. Verniers come into play at 300 yds and out. They are an incumbency on a fast action lever brush gun. Really depends on what your shooting. that said, I have used a new Lyman tang sight on a '94 Winchester. It needed to be shimmed. It worked fine. It was in no way equal to the quality of a period correct Marbles sight. The Marbles was all machined out while the Lyman seemed to be cast pot metal. I don't think the Lyman would survive being dropped on a rock.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a tang sight from Lee Shaver and it fills my need for an accurate and adjustable sight but they aren't cheap. But you pay for what you get.

Boolit Master
    A quality (windage adjustable) tang sight for a target rifle
    Reciever mounted peep for hunting.
    I have a marbles as well - it sits between the two - works ok - looks kinda cool .....But .....on a lever gun, has the disadvantages of both, while lacking the advantages of either

Good tang sights on a sharps and an 1876 Uberti

Williams peeps on a Browning 71 and winchester 94

The marbles is in its box - I use it from time to time when I wanna accuracy test a load in one of my open sighted lever guns - it does that job well enough .

Boolit Master
    I have a Marbles for my 1895 Marlin, it did well enough as far as accuracy. My biggest problem is that the base is large, never found a comfortable place for my thumb. I installed a Williams FP with an old Redfield disc with multiple size apertures, up front a Lyman 17A. I don't hunt or shoot over 100 yards very often so it works well for me.

Boolit Bub
    It doesn't sound like you're after a long range vernier sight, but a post type tang sight. If so, I think the Marbles are a little better than a Lyman but they do displace your thumb. If for a single shot, you gotta spend some money.

Go look at the MVA offerings,you will not find anything made of aluminum. They do make a Pope style , barrel sights and tang sights of various refinements. If I can fit a MVA anything on my rifles that’s what I use with better than average accuracy. One base fits all of their tang sights, if they make a base for your rifle you can use any of their tang sights. I don’t waste money on Williams,Lyman’s inferior materials and tolerances.

I’ve had both and prefer the Marbles sight for a few reasons. I never could get the wobble out of either of the Lyman’s, the post would flop on its vertical axis decreasing the size of the aperture. I never found a way to keep it solidly centered. Even tried Teflon tape on the shaft which reduced the wobble but never to my satisfaction. A call to Lyman was pointless. They acknowledged the wobble and essentially said it was the nature of the beast. The Marble is solid, no fore and aft wobble, no twisting of the shaft and as mentioned, it’s windage adjustable. Marbles service is first rate. If you call Marble with a question, you speak to a person. Once the armorer was at lunch and wonder of wonders, he called me back upon return. Patiently listened to my problem and sent a repair kit. Another time, after speaking directly to a person, I was told to send it in, fixed for free and had it back within two weeks of mailing it in.

Boolit Bub
    If I want a receiver sight, I look for an old steel Lyman or Redfield. I don't care for the new aluminum ones.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    Go look at the MVA offerings,you will not find anything made of aluminum. They do make a Pope style , barrel sights and tang sights of various refinements. If I can fit a MVA anything on my rifles that’s what I use with better than average accuracy. One base fits all of their tang sights, if they make a base for your rifle you can use any of their tang sights. I don’t waste money on Williams,Lyman’s inferior materials and tolerances.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with the williams for a hunting sight - had one on my 348 over twenty years and its never been a problem - tang sights on a lever gun are a PITA for field shooting

I do not agree,tang sights have been used for a long time on all kinds of rifles with great affect and depends on your willingness to learn to use them. You find something that works better for you wonderful use that but don’t discount their effectiveness given the time to learn what works and what doesn’t. The problem with the Williams sight is one size hole to look through, a small Hadley cup gives me seven different sizes for different light conditions that alone gives me more options than the Williams.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the williams for a hunting sight - had one on my 348 over twenty years and its never been a problem - tang sights on a lever gun are a PITA for field shooting
    Last edited by Randy Bohannon; 09-05-2021 at 05:24 AM.

Boolit Master

I've got a Marbles tang on my 73. Love it!

Boolit Buddy
    Regardless, whether you prefer a tang sight or a receiver sight mounted on your rifle. The addition of a Hadley Style Eyecup on a Tang Sight. Or a Merit Iris Target Disc or smaller, Hunter sized adjustable Iris Disc. Is by far, the greatest improvement one can make to target shooting at the range. Being able to adjust the rear aperture to the current lighting condition, improves the sight picture immensely. For quick close range hunting, I would remove it. For longer range situations where time is not so critical, I would use one.
    Rick
    PS Had a friend in Alaska that was enamored with Krag Sporters. He was moose hunting one fall when a large bull appeared about 200 yards away. He had time to adjust his Merit Disc installed in his receiver sight. He then proceeded, to made a very good shot on the bull.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    I do not agree,tang sights have been used for a long time on all kinds of rifles with great affect and depends on your willingness to learn to use them. You find something that works better for you wonderful use that but don’t discount their effectiveness given the time to learn what works and what doesn’t. The problem with the Williams sight is one size hole to look through, a small Hadley cup gives me seven different sizes for different light conditions that alone gives me more options than the Williams.
    Randy I didnt say they (tang sights) are not effective - I have a couple (that I built myself) - windage, vernier staff, hadley cup on one - sure they are effective - but that is for target shooting,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	soule sight.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	288311
    On my 76 Uberti made the sight - picked the Hadley Cup off a trade blanket for ten bucks and yeah I like it for target work - got another on a sharps and made one for my son's roller

just a PITA on a hunting rifle - you like em thats cool - I dont (for field use) thats also cool -

when I throw that 348 up in a hurry my thumb is over the tang - not something I want to train me not to do at this stage of life ..

the eyepiece on the Williams you can drill it (bigger hole) or fill it or turn up a new one - I have shot mine quite a bit with the eyepiece removed - you'll still shoot a four inch group at 50 yards and it is QUICK.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails workin guns.jpeg  
    Last edited by indian joe; 09-05-2021 at 06:43 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have several old tang sights and love them for 100 yards and under. I have several long range soule sights on my single shot rifles and love them. When hunting the tang sights are faster to use but for range the soule sight is the best and you can repeat the settings. Tang sights are on my .45 Colt and smaller lever guns. Stay away from the Italian soule sights, they cost but are not near as good IMO than other ones talked about. With tang sights you can use just about any front sight, the soule sight needs one of the Lyman glob sights to get the best from it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
    Regardless, whether you prefer a tang sight or a receiver sight mounted on your rifle. The addition of a Hadley Style Eyecup on a Tang Sight. Or a Merit Iris Target Disc or smaller, Hunter sized adjustable Iris Disc. Is by far, the greatest improvement one can make to target shooting at the range. Being able to adjust the rear aperture to the current lighting condition, improves the sight picture immensely. For quick close range hunting, I would remove it. For longer range situations where time is not so critical, I would use one.
    Rick
    PS Had a friend in Alaska that was enamored with Krag Sporters. He was moose hunting one fall when a large bull appeared about 200 yards away. He had time to adjust his Merit Disc installed in his receiver sight. He then proceeded, to made a very good shot on the bull.
    Merit was shut down for a while, they are back in business. I ordered two hunter disk a couple months back, they were $60 each including shipping. I talked to Ed Grant, he was on the road when I called ,returned the call about 15 min. later. Didn't take credit cards, just cash or checks. He sent them out the next day, how many businesses will do that. Great people to do business with.