Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sporting Goods Clerks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lksmith View Post
    Unfortunately that seems the norm in left coast states. Around here at the local gun shops they will let "kids" buy ammo. chains like walmart or atwoods won't. My daughter is 3 and as soon as she can handle it she has a cricket 22 that I refinished for her.
    Those stores are violating FEDERAL LAW.

Doing so is a great way to get a visit from a BATFE agent. The clerk that sells ammo to underage people is the one that will take the hit. At a minimum it's going to cost them several thousand dollars, either in fines or shyster fees.

Doing so is also food for those that would want us to return to having to log ammo (handgun and rimfire at the time) ammo purchases in a bound book AFTER seeing ID.

Walmart and Atwood's are following Federal Law and keeping their clerks and the store out of trouble.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd2 View Post
    In the early 50s when I was 10-11 years old my dad would call the hardware store and tell them I would be stopping in to get a box of .22 or 3 or 4 shotgun shells. By the time I was 15 or so no phone call was necessary.

BBs we bought on our own whenever we had the money. No age restriction. We were always collecting empty pop bottles to cash in for BBs.
    Depends on where you were, I guess. Mom and Dad had to get married because I was on the way. Mom was 15, Dad was 17. Mom had to buy BB's for his BB gun because she was a legal adult as a married woman. I was born the middle of the year, and she turned 16 the next month. Dad's birthday was in February, when he turned 18. He was not a legal adult until he hit age 21. This was SoCal in the mid-50's.

Bill

Boolit Master
    I can remember my brother and I leaving home early in the mornings with our .22's. We'd spend all day hiking to the top of Grizzly Peak, returning home late in the evening. Nobody ever said a word about a couple of kids about 12 years old packing rifles, walking the streets of Ashland. My dad always took us to Eberhardt's Sporting Goods the night before, we'd plunk down our pennies and nickels, (22 shells were a penny apiece/50 cents a box), the clerk always had an open box. I don't know if an adult needed to be present in the early '60s for the purchase to be legal. I do remember Mr. Eberhardt always grinned when the money would come out of our pockets.

Boolit Master
    I grew up in small town Indiana, and as a teenager, it was not strange to see a teen walking or riding a bike with a rifle or shotgun slung over the shoulder, and as long as we weren't being stupid, the town sheriff never gave it a second thought. I was even enlisted one timeto take out a stray that had bitten several people over a period of weeks. You won't see that happening today.

Boolit Master
    Many years ago a friend called and asked if I needed any 38 or 357 reloaded. His family had bought him a Dillon for Christmas and he was having a great time. He had loaded a lot of rounds. I asked, what powder he used? He said it was called Bullseye. I said, I will be right over. When I got to his house I saw that it was indeed Bullseye. I asked how many grains he used and he replied, 7.5. He went on to say that the clerk had told him that it was a recommended load. I informed him that it was a good thing he had called me, otherwise he could have lost his right hand at least or worse. I asked why he bought bullseye and he said the young clerk had told him, since it and Unique were both made by the Hercules company and 7.5 grains of Unique was the recommended load, Bullseye should be OK. I gave him the sad news that he would have to pull every bullet and start over again with Unique powder. I should have gone to the gun shop and told the owner what happened, sadly I didn't.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123