WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sporting Goods Clerks

Boolit Master

Sporting Goods Clerks

My granddaughter is going to shoot a ODF&W free youth pheasant hunt this month.
    It is held on the local game commission wildlife area so steel shot is mandatory.
    She was low on ammo, 20 ga 3in shells.
    We are all aware of the ammo shortage and she found 2 boxes of 3 in. steel shot ammo at the local Bi Mart.
    She was unaware that you have to be 18 to buy ammo in Oregon . She is 14.
    The clerk refused to sell to her because she was too young.
    We a ok with that, BUT.
    She came back with mom and dad to purchase it for her.
    The clerk refused to sell it to them.
    I had talked to this clerk before and knew he was a real jerk .
    Now there is a really upset grandpa, me.
    I called the store manager and told him what happened and explained that was legal for parents to buy ammo for their children and that he had better talk to his clerk. How else would kids get ammo if parents didn`t buy it for them.
    He said he would take care of it and to have the parents come in and buy the shot shells.
    I was amazed it lasted long enough for them to come back to buy them.
    Mom and dad came back and bought both boxes.
    Alls well that ends well.
    End of rant.

Banned
    When something like that happens you need to call corporate too give them the store location and time and date. The clerk was correct in the age requirement however when the youngster is accompanied by a adult the sale point is moot and is a judgement call by a clerk who is now denying a lawful sale of goods.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The clerk just wasn't educated on what constitutes a straw purchase.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Maybe, or maybe he's just a horse's patoot! OP stated that this clerk is a known jerk, and I have run into my share of those in my lifetime, too. The sad truth about low wage help, you frequently get low quality work.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    The clerk just wasn't educated on what constitutes a straw purchase.
    This^^^^^
    He equates ammo with firearm sales. Probably to smart for his own good.

Boolit Grand Master

A few Christmas ago I bought the grandsons a red Ryder bb gun at the local wall-marts store policy was fill out 4473 and the back ground check. The 2 daisy slingshots were probably more powerful LOL

Moderator Emeritus

well, I'm glad to hear she got the shells she needed.
    I have one friend looking for a certain flavor of shotgun shells and has been coming up empty from all the usual sources...and this person asked me to be on the lookout...I suspect there will be some at the local gunshow next month.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

How things have changed. I remember being 9 or 10 and buying .22 shorts at a little general store at my grandmother's in KY.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    How things have changed. I remember being 9 or 10 and buying .22 shorts at a little general store at my grandmother's in KY.
    Yep; .22's, 410's, 20 Gauge, 16 Gauge, and 12 Gauge at that age - AND those little general stores would break up a box so we could buy a couple to a handful of rounds from the box.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

I find it interesting that the antis want training, background checks etc. for buying guns and ammo but any idiot can sell the stuff.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    A few Christmas ago I bought the grandsons a red Ryder bb gun at the local wall-marts store policy was fill out 4473 and the back ground check. The 2 daisy slingshots were probably more powerful LOL
    There has to be more to this story, Give it up please ?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    I find it interesting that the antis want training, background checks etc. for buying guns and ammo but any idiot can sell the stuff.
    Yeah that’s so true. Had a cop friend that was murdered because of a idiot dealer. Let’s just say the FFL took himself on a vacation to the illustrious grey bar hotel.

Boolit Grand Master

No My daughter Son and law took me Christmas shopping I saw the boys eyeing the red ryder display. So I put 1 in the cart with some other items. It was out on the floor a pallet load of them. When I got to the checker register I was informed the bb gun had to be ran thru sporting good counter due to paper work. I gave the son in law the money and he went back, ID, 4473 and back ground check just like a gun behind the counter.

I used to skip my last study hall walk up to the hardware and by 22s and shotgun shells walk back and ride the buss home. The owner never had a problem but the it was only him and me that knew

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Same here at my uncle's country store in 1962 when I was 11.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Banned

Wal Mart seriously requires a background check and 4473 for a BB gun?

I doubt I ever would, but sure won't be buying a gun from them now.

Boolit Master

Walmart considers BBs ammo
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Moderator Emeritus

Ha, try Jersey. The bb gun requires the 4473 but those slingshot are considered weapons of mass destruction and are illegal in New Jersey. So glad I left there.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    dale - sorry for what happened - I just wanted to say that it is always nice to hear about young folks who are learning to shoot the right way and enjoying the fun of hunting and the outdoors - that was the way it was when I was a kid and the way it should be = kudos to your grand-daughter and I'm sure that you are really proud of her.

Boolit Master

At least they have jobs, not sitting at home on the public dole!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

In the early 50s when I was 10-11 years old my dad would call the hardware store and tell them I would be stopping in to get a box of .22 or 3 or 4 shotgun shells. By the time I was 15 or so no phone call was necessary.

BBs we bought on our own whenever we had the money. No age restriction. We were always collecting empty pop bottles to cash in for BBs.
    Chuck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast