Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication

Thread: WARNING re some old powders!

Moderator Emeritus

WARNING re some old powders!

I am a subscriber to AmmoGuide, receiving the September newsletter this morning. Mr Haas, publisher. posted quite an article re some Accurate brand powders he has/had... If you have interest -- for safety -- the link to web article is https://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/news.cgi?em=agnews2109 .

His article started with, "I kept smelling powder as if a fresh bottle was open somewhere. I had pulled down several left over handloads and had about a half pound of powder sitting on the bench, but holding it close to my nose, I detected very little scent. The smell was so strong it burned my lungs tonight, so I started the arduous task of opening every bottle of powder I had in the cabinet. What I found was a little scary."..........

I know I will be checking some of my powders! As this is a safety issue for many of us, I reckoned I'd share.

geo

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the heads-up as I have about 25 lbs of assorted Accurate powder in the reloading room. I'm on a mission to check it right now. If I find a problem I will report back. I don't want to dump out powder that cost me $20+ dollars a pound but that is a small cost compared to the alternative............. Just came back from checking my stockpile and found nothing to be alarmed about. And I don't have 25 pounds of Accurate powder...I guess the last powder I bought was IMR 4895.
    Last edited by 762sultan; 09-01-2021 at 10:56 AM. Reason: added comments

Thanks George....I'll spread the word elsewhere.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    I wonder if that is the smell of automatic ignition working its magic. Where is Murphy when you need him?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I love Accurate Arms powder, but I have loaded every scrap I have...so I don't think I have much to worry about. Can't find any more. No handloads of mine have survived 17 years without being shot, so probably OK with the loaded ammo. I do smell the powder bottle every time I open it up to start charging cases, no matter what it is. Everything is good so far, even the old 700X, metal can I have no idea how old it is. Works great in cast 9mm loads...but I cannot STAND trying to meter it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have NO use for a powder that has these issues.

I have 20 year old powder that works and I expect a 50 year shelf life if not more. Think about all the milsurp ammunition that is more than 50 years old and still works.

I bet there is more to the story...like poor storage conditions...at least I hope so.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I've got a few pounds of AA #5 over 20 years old that still loads/shoots like it did when I acquired it...no odd smell, no discoloration, no stain inside container or lid but then my stash has been stored inside a closed cabinet in an area with a constant 65-70 degree temp and 60% humidity. Also have some the discontinued AA2015BR, stored in that same cabinet, nearly as old as the #5 with no apparent sign of deterioration.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"