RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: BAC Lube for Muzzleloaders

BAC Lube for Muzzleloaders

I'm getting an H&I die to lube 50 cal bullets that will lube my muzzleloader bullets without sizing so I can use a lube sizer. I don't like pan lubing. I would prefer to not invest in another lube sizer just to run SPG.

I do have a dedicated Lyman 45 with White Label Lube BAC in it. Any reason to not use BAC? I'm not shooting black powder...I'm shooting Blackhorn 209 which is very clean and doesn't seem to need lube such as SPG to soften the fouling you get with BP, Pyrodex & Triple 7. I can get 20 rounds through before cleaning and it cleans with traditional gun solvents, not water. Any reason, other than untraditional, to not use BAC for a lube when using Blackhorn 209?

Super Moderator

You could try it. I use BAC to lube paper-patched cast boolits (smokeless), and it works great in that application. The only experience I have with BH209 is with saboted 45 caliber cast or jacketed bullets in an inline ML. No need for lube in that application though. If the BAC doesn't work out for you, you could also try a 50/50 blend of beeswax and olive oil. I use that one in a 54 caliber sidelock with heavy conicals, and it works well.

Thanks for the recommendation on the 50/50.

Boolit Grand Master

Have you tried dip lubing? I find that is usually a better way than pain lubing.

If that means melting SPG then dipping bullets in the lube, then yes. If that's not what that means them please explain. This works fine but living in Mississippi, during the hot summer months having lube all over the bullet is a mess. I tried using bore butter but it liquefied. SPG holds up better in the summer if it is in the lube groves of a maxiball as I can grab the bullet without much touching of the lube. When I dip them in lube there is no practical way to handle the bullet without touching the lube. I know it can get hot in SD. I was at Rosebud shooting prairie dogs 3 years ago and it hit 100 one day. So, any ideas on lubing to withstand heat is appreciated. Now, when dipping them, I have to take them to the range in the summer in a small beverage cooler. While OK for the range it's not practical for in the field.
    Last edited by SoonerEd; 09-01-2021 at 02:09 AM.

Boolit Master
    An over powder card may help. You can make them with a proper size punch and tablet backing. Hope this helps.
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Grand Master

ShooterAZ's recommendation for the 50/50 lube is a good one for higher temps. That's what I use on my maxiballs, but I don't hunt in 100 degree weather either. It seems to me that 50/50 lube is solid right up until it isn't. It doesn't get gooey like some, and the melting temp should be well above 100 degrees. I hate bore butter too. Runs right off the bullet at 80, hard as a rock at 50.

As for your question about BAC, I don't think any harm will come of it, especially with BH209 powder. I hate using those kinds of lubes for blackpowder, because I dip lube, and the stuff isn't as nice to work with as 50/50. That's not a problem in a lubesizer. I've shot canaruba red on Lee REAL's, and had no problems other then being a real bear to apply to the bullet.

Thank you for the feedback. I'm going to try the BAC since I have a sizer dedicated to it.