RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ever Seen An Internally Belted 9mm Luger Case?

Boolit Master

The one I found has the fired primer pushed partially out of the pocket.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

Ive had 9, 40 and 45acp like that. I believe they are for setback. Reduce your charge on these and work up again
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    I crimp them shut with pliers and throw them in the garbage. I think it's dangerous.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

For what it's worth, I had deprimed the case successfully using a Lee Universal Decapping die, then wet-tumbled it with other brass.

Somehow I noticed the oddball case as I was reloading 9mm Luger on my Dillon RL 550C. I put it aside and did not attempt to reprime or size the case.

I printed out a Brother P-Touch label with info and wrapped it around the case. Keeping it for reference.

Good information, all.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    I’ve seen Mag Tech 9mm brass with an inner shoulder but it was taller than the OP’s pic.
    Another good reason to sort your brass.
    I'm guessing you might mean "Maxxtech" rather than Magtech (headstamp "CBC").

I'll try to find a link, but all of this stepped interior 9mm cases are from cheap 9mm ammo. From the sources I've read, it is a cheaper way to fabricate cases for these budget priced ammo makers.

The reloaded cases are known to separate at the ring and get lodged in the chamber.

Trash brass goes right into the recycling assortment.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Ive had 9, 40 and 45acp like that. I believe they are for setback. Reduce your charge on these and work up again
    They are not for setback. I've measured the location relative to bullet heel, and they don't match. Here is an example that shows the depth of seating before contacting the ring.

"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master
    I’ve always theorized they were designed to use less powder yet still produce high enough pressure for proper operation. Basically a cost cutting measure for the manufacturer. I just toss them when I find them.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    They are not for setback. I've measured the location relative to bullet heel, and they don't match. Here is an example that shows the depth of seating before contacting the ring.

Is that the original bullet pulled from the loaded round? I've read on numerous forums that it is for setback. It doesn't make sense to me that it is to use less powder and generate the same velocity/pressure and then negate any savings by having to use thicker brass. Maybe?

The brass with a step in it is made that way because of how the copper discs are extruded

Very common. I pick up large amounts of brass, and find a LOT of 9mm like that, from several headstamps. Some have a shoulder inside nearly big enough to sit on. I scrap 'em all, have over 12,000 9mm to sell right now, I sure don't need those.

Do y'all recycle these casings into your handloads? I think I discovered this when they were hanging up in the re sizing die I think they were getting stuck on the decapper pin but that was a while ago and I don't remember exactly.

I'm almost certain that I may have reloaded some of these when I started out and I did not have any dangerous events, I was using starting loads in 9 mm, I was learning.

Maxxtech brass, Ausa, Imt?,some others, I don't trust none of them with my right hand! No!

I am still learning and when I learned about the steps in the case when I looked at it and saw it, it made me uncomfortable to see a reduction of internal volume, and the junction between the case mouth and the step, that part looks like a weakness to me, in such a small casing that I was loading up with 5.5 grains of power pistol underneath a 125 grain cast commercially-produced bullet.

Now, I am making my own bullets and I see those casings with the steps in them and I want to throw them really far away, I feel that it is a waste of a primer and my time do cast, coat, size, expand, prime, charge powder, seat, crimp, then shoot.

Haha! I want it to be worth it. I'm dissapoinred that my 4 pound jug of Alliant Power Pistol is empty, and have to repeat the accuracy testing with Winchester AutoComp

However if I am wrong I am very interested to hear about an accuracy load with thesecasings...

Boolit Grand Master

I don't reload them, I just scrap the few I come across.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12