RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite round to reload

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodfac View Post
    At 75 yrs old, I value any cartridge that's easy to manipulate through the press...for handguns on my pair of Dillon 550B's, it's the .44 Spl. (short for caliber brass so it doesn't tip around, relatively thick case mouth that makes flaring easy to feel and doesn't buckle when crimped (like a 32-20), fat bullets that I can easily place on the flared case mouth, large size primer that's easy to see if it pops out on the floor, and enough loaded cartridge weight that it makes a satisfying 'plunk' when it drops into the load bin.

Add to that...damned near any reasonable load with a good LSWC will produce sub-2" groups in my .44's with holes big enough that you can poke a fore finger in 'em on good target stock. What's not to like...every time I stuff six into my guns, I give a nod to old Elmer and Skeeter for their tutoring on what a grand old cartridge it really is.

Best Regards Rod
    I am 70 and I agree completely. Although I am still using my old RCBS single stage after 40 something years. And any good LSWC of at least .430" will do a great job with the 44 Special. Ain't anything else to add.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master

.45 Colt

Boolit Grand Master
    .38 Spl on the Dillon 1050. 700+ per hour without any heroics.
    Don Verna

470 Nitro Express, just because every thing about it is just silly.

Certainly don't have the issues of the 204 Ruger and those tiny bullets.

Boolit Master
    My favorite to load for is all that I load for.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Like others, the ubiquitous Smith & Wesson .38 Special! Getting over three thousand rounds from but one pound of Bullseye; its almost always-forgiving using cast bullets which, well, might be culled in other calibres; its ability to use cases over and over (albeit some, mostly for me many nickel ones will crack/split after three or four uses -- but other cases -- well, I have some I've used *over* a dozen times), and overall general ease of reloading on my Dillon 550B: Hey, imho, this calibre can not be beaten!
    geo
    Yep, just loaded a bunch of 160 gr. over 3.2 of BE. Got nice groups from my 4" 1956 vintage K38.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Grand Master

I think the first round I reloaded was a 41Mag using the dreaded Blue Dot on a Lee Whack A Mole. I think...

Favorite is either the 38sp or the 45LC. Easy to load, uses little powder for target loads although I'm getting more used to my 32H&R's. Have enough powder for about 1,000yrs for those
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Bub
    My favorite to reload is a whole class of cartridges. My sons and I have guns in 480 Ruger, 460 S&W, 500 S&W, 375 H&H, and 458 Win. Mag. If it wasn't for cast bullets and for the most part, Trailboss powder, we would not be able to affordably shoot these guns. The very important added bonus of much reduced recoil sweetens the deal even more. Very pleasing looking at a 100 round MTM box full of handloaded 460 S&W! Until recently, I avoided reloading the 223 since decent ammo was available and affordable but now I reload for it as well. It is my least favorite to handload since the little bullets don't play nice with my sausage fingers!

Another one for .45 ACP.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Yup, another one for 45acp & 45 Colt
    For rifle 308 win & 6.8 spc

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I think the first round I reloaded was a 41Mag using the dreaded Blue Dot on a Lee Whack A Mole. I think...

Favorite is either the 38sp or the 45LC. Easy to load, uses little powder for target loads although I'm getting more used to my 32H&R's. Have enough powder for about 1,000yrs for those
    It would be interesting to know what percentage of the denizens of the forum started with a Lee Whack-A-Mole.

Potential poll?

I started 12 gauge with a DELUXE 12 gauge in 1975. First rifle caliber also the Whack-A-Mole in 308, circa 1989.

Still have the 12.

Now I have enough reloading "stuff" I wish I would have put in 6" concrete floors instead of the 4".
    Last edited by 15meter; 09-09-2021 at 09:21 PM.

Without a doubt it's the .30-06. No other cartridge is easier to get excellent accuracy and hard hitting performance with than the plain old boring .30-06. It's a pleasure to get top performance with using a wide choice of powders and components, and as a cast boolit rifle cartridge, I look to the .30-06 first. It pleases, performs, and gives a sense of accomplishment and confidence with each round out of the press. No other cartridge inspires like the grand old .30-Gov't-06 does for me.

Boolit Master

I like to load .45acp for use in my moon clip revolvers with heavy for caliber cast lead swc bullets and .45Colt like ballistics........

I also like to load .38spl with full weight cast swc lead bullets at +P level ballistics........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    357mag is my favourite ,but 45-70 is very satisfying to reload as its not fiddly to load compared to .223 .

Boolit Mold
    For me it’s 38 and 44 special, easy to handle and also easy to find accurate loads with about any powder in either

Boolit Master

45ACP all day long. It is so easy. Although duplicating expensive rifle rounds gives much gratification.

11.15X58R for the Werndl.... It's a process, but one that I immensely enjoy. And not as difficult as some think. It's easily fireformed (compared to some) from 348 Win and an absolute blast to shoot! I particularly enjoy the fact that you can't buy it off the shelf.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Guess I can also answer my own question, I like all the straight wall rounds but I have to say loading the 500 Linebaugh just feels awesome.

Boolit Master
    I tried out a new 250 gr. hp boolit yesterday in my .44 special 24-3. 9 grains HS-6 gives about 1,000 fps. while staying under 15,000 psi. It also shot a 50' group under 2" off hand. I then proceeded to roll rocks on a hillside out about 50 yds. All this with a load that is powerful enough for close range deer hunting and very easy to shoot.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210921_185153.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	289055
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 09-21-2021 at 07:55 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    .44 Mag and Special then .45 ACP.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast