Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lee 7.62x39 155gr mold

Boolit Master

Lee 7.62x39 155gr mold

Probably old hat here, but I bought one due to the mild rush on 7.62 ammo.

The 6-cav mold throws pretty nice boolits (likes to run hot) and I water-quenched them. I wasn't concerned with small wrinkles at this point - these are sacrificials to test loads, so they didn't have to be perfect. I then powdercoated them with Smoke's Clear and Eastwood Teal, then gas-checked with aluminum checks from Sage.

Next up was to set up the dies from the Lee Pacesetter set - which comes with 2 decapping pins (expander sized for .308 and .312) and fortunately already had a Lyman .30M1 M-die to expand the case-necks.

This is all just setup-phase for now - I'll be resizing/trimming all the brass next, priming and then start to make various loads using CFE BLK.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master

Titan was out of the pacesetter sets when I was ready to order so I got the RGB set and a Lee factory crimp die. Your boolits look like mine except mine are red, and I made the gas checks. I got 50 new winchester shell cases for about $.60 ea, and Cabelas had PPU ammo for $.75 ea. I got some of both, I know it's expensive but I can shoot. Load em up!!!
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

Red boolits - I wish I'd thought of that

Next time around, then
    My Iraq Pics

Boolit Master
    My tightest groups were with 18.0gr of 5744. Out of a 16" barrel it gave me 1623fps or 965ft/lbs.

My boolits are cast soft and weight 165gr. COL 2.170. 0.9" group at 50 yards with a crappy 3x mini ACOG.

Let us know how the CFE works out.

I tried both the 155 and the 160 Lees and actually got the best accuracy with the NOE 129gr mold, all sized to .311 and powdercoated. I used AA1680 almost exclusively, and had just started trying CFE BLK when I lost my last 7.62x39mm rifle to medical bills.

Boolit Master
    I used that same boolit, (with copper gas check), PC'ed either blue or red over 19.0g of IMR-4198. I sized them .312. Just as accurate as jacketed in my SKS and cycles the action every time.

Boolit Master

I have a 6 cavity of that bullet from a group buy back many years ago when Lee didn't make 6 cavity rifle moulds. I now use it more for making PC bullets for plinking in my .300 BO. My two primary bullets for loading x39 for my 2x bolt guns and semi autos are the NOE 129 and the NOE Ranchdog 150 gr. The Ranchdog 150 gr. is a great shooter, hits nice and hard and has become my favorite.

In the pic below L to R:

NOE 129gr (culled bullet used as a sample)

Lee 155 gr from group buy mould

NOE 150 gr. Ranchdog

NOE 129 gr. PC'd and loaded

NOE 150 gr. RD PC'd and loaded

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	762x39 cast.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	194.2 KB 
ID:	288297

Boolit Master

Oh, very nice - I have a .300 Blk with only one mold (NOE 225gr), so that's a cool idea to try these in the Blk.
    My Iraq Pics

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    Oh, very nice - I have a .300 Blk with only one mold (NOE 225gr), so that's a cool idea to try these in the Blk.
    They work great in 300 BLK. I have to size them to .310 or the case necks expand and jam. The profile feeds well but works best in a 300 BLK magazine so the straight fat body doesn’t bind.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    You get the 150gr Ranchdog to feed in an AR ?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nicovanj View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	762x39 cast.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	194.2 KB 
ID:	288297

Looking at the picture. Watch out for to much crimping. A possibility for higher pressures and while shooting a possibility of shaving of the coating with the result of a leaded barrel.
    Yes, That is a concern. In this case these two bullets have crimp grooves so crimping as much as I have will not cut into the coating and possibly cause leading. I do like to crimp these rounds because I find it gives me more consistency and since they are being fired in an autoloader I don't want to have any bullet set back. Also, this was fired brass from Winchester white box which has a heavy crimp applied. Part of what you are seeing as a "heavy crimp" are the marks in the brass from the original crimp which makes it hard to see how my crimp is.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
    You get the 150gr Ranchdog to feed in an AR ?

If this question is for me I load and shoot the 150 gr. Ranchdog in my Romanian SKS, don't have a 7.62x39 AR.

Boolit Grand Master

I have the 150 gr group buy bullet similar to the RD bullet and the lee 155 gr bullet. Both feed perfectly in my Russian SKS and my Mini Mk X bolt gun.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla