RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Plans/suggestions for deer cart?

Plans/suggestions for deer cart?

I plan to hunt a waterfowl refuge for deer this Fall. I will have to carry my stand in and my deer out. I realize I can buy a good one for about $100, but I like to build my own. I am thinking a single front wheel, since the trails are narrow. I have access to some aluminum extrusion, but can`t weld alum. If I use electrical EMT, that I can weld, and still keep pretty light. Have some ideas, looking for some more? Thank, hc18flyer

What kind of stand? I hunted a similar type place with a small ladder stand and just added a bar with a couple 18" wheels on it to act as a deer cart. You could likely keep an eye out for little kids bikes and use the front tire off of those. Use the treestand ratchet strap to mount one of the ladder sections so it cantilevers over the wheels so you don't have to support as much of the weight and use the criss cross straps/ropes to tie the deer to the stand as it's more tippy than a standard deer cart. Hunting buddies made fun of me about that one, but it worked.

I have a 'hang on' stand and my own strap on 'steps'. a friend make a combo unit ,like you suggest. The trails are more difficult for 'side by side' wheels vs 'wheel barrow' type cart. If a Guy could just find a damaged 'Wonder Ladder' (foldable), that would be ideal!

About the least expensive elevated stand would be to fashion a Baker-style climber from a length of aluminum angle iron & some 3/4" thick marine plywood. (plus some nuts/bolts)

This type requires hugging the (limbless) tree, then raising the platform with your boots inside two straps on the platform.

After raising the stand a foot or two at a time, it will lock into the tree trunk when you stand again for the next grab - basically inching yourself up the tree.

If you don't want to hug the tree, a small, platform-less version can be similarly built & placed around the tree trunk above your head when standing on the platform, letting the stand body be raised via doing chin-ups.

When the Baker stand was first introduced in the mid-1970's, it cam in pieces for the hunter to assemble (BT, DT)

Here's some pics of both a Baker and similar home-made climbers using perforated steel strapping:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=162356

In actual safe use, your bow or firearm is left on the ground while climbing, then pulled up with some paracord with one end tied to the gun/bow and the other end to the climber (man or metal )
    Last edited by pietro; 08-31-2021 at 05:24 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Had one my dad made out of EMT 35 years ago.

The ladder came apart near the middle and was stowed onto the other section of ladder. When this was done the rungs were staggered and gave better support for hauling deer out.

Pair of 20" bike wheels. Sprocket and guts removed from rear wheel. I believe a wooden filler was installed into the hub and there were no bearings in either wheel.

Never considered a 1 wheel cart. I guess they would be better on some parts of some trails. Just remember that the higher you raise the stand over a single wheel the tippier it will be. Consider that you can now get wheel barrows with 2 wheels, much better for keeping 100lbs of concrete until the destination. I would stick with 2 wheels 18-20" apart (but I don't know this trail) even 2 wheels only 10"-12" apart is going to be less fatiguing.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    Two wheels for stability. Kind of a shallow "U" shape to stabilize the deer. Straps or ropes to tie the deer down. They will roll out. Twenty inch bike wheels at a minimum. Logs and stumps are easier to get over with bigger wheels. Our dead sled is on its fourth configuration. EMT is good for the frame. Make the handle a hoop design. Big deer may need helping hands. It's good to have room for those hands.

Boolit Buddy
    A gutted deer tied up to any random full sized bicycle works. Make sure to tie a bunch of orange over the rack. I use my orange backpack rain cover.