MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is this in my alloy?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    I tried some Lime Away Bowl cleaner just for grins and can report virtually undetectable reactions on a zinc ingot. I'll assume it is too diluted for our purposes.
    Wrong chemistry! That stuff is basic, you need acidic to test for Zn. Just take a few drops out of your car/truck battery. You will never miss a few drops. That is H2SO4 in your battery, but HCL is more aggressive for metals testing, as it's hydrogen ion concentration is much greater.

Boolit Master

Not too sure about 'wrong chemistry' since the stuff contains 5-10% hydrochloric acid, at least as per the MSDS. http://www.rbnainfo.com/MSDS/US/LIME...20EN%20GHS.pdf

Substance/mixture : Mixture
    Hydrochloric acid 5 - 10% 7647-01-0
    Amines, tallow alkyl, ethoxylated 1 - 2.5% 61791-26-2
    Alcohols, C12-15, ethoxylated 1 - 2.5% 68131-39-5

Likely 'it's too diluted' for our purposes.
    Last edited by oley55; 09-02-2021 at 08:17 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Wife has a very old bottle of the stuff and the label indicates no acidic content. They must have changed the make-up over the years.

10% HCl is strong enough to get a reaction.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    You can buy a gallon of HCl cheap at a pool supply store. Use it to test the unknown metal and then keep it around. It can be quite useful for removing corrosion from metals, if you are careful handling it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    You can buy a gallon of HCl cheap at a pool supply store. Use it to test the unknown metal and then keep it around. It can be quite useful for removing corrosion from metals, if you are careful handling it.
    No doubt, but I had presented the 'make your own' as a option for folks who do not have a wooden barn or shed to store the stuff. From my experience the acid tends to leach through the plastic bottles in something similar to vapor and will cause damaging rust/corrosion to any nearby metal (and that includes the very nails/screws holding a wooden structure together).
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    ...From my experience the acid tends to leach through the plastic bottles in something similar to vapor and will cause damaging rust/corrosion to any nearby metal (and that includes the very nails/screws holding a wooden structure together).
    (NODS HEAD VIGOROUSLY IN AGREEMENT) Lordy, yes. I'm still finding rusted tools in my shop from when I made that mistake, usually ones stored within three feet on the bottle. I'm just hoping the water heater and furnace on the side furthest away are OK.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    [QUOTE=oley55;5255867]No doubt, but I had presented the 'make your own' as a option for folks who do not have a wooden barn or shed to store the stuff. From my experience the acid tends to leach through the plastic bottles in something similar to vapor and will cause damaging rust/corrosion to any nearby metal (and that includes the very nails/screws holding a wooden structure together).[/
    QUOTE]
    That’s interesting. I never experienced or even heard about that. Luckily I do have a barn where I store mine, but I wonder what happens in the stores where it is being sold and there are many gallons of it. Perhaps if there is enough turn over, it doesn’t have an effect. I think I have some glass half gallon jugs around to store mine in. I’ll have to use a cork stopper and not the metal caps. Will much seep through the corks?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12