WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: mp 224-75 twist rate

Boolit Master

mp 224-75 twist rate

ive got the mp 224-75 bullet mold and was wondering what twist rate barrels others are shooting this through? I was thinking of maybe trying it in my old Ruger 77 in 22-250 that I believe is a 1-14 twist barrel.

Boolit Bub
    I don't have specific experience with that bullet, but do shoot similar jacketed bullets. 1:14 will not stabilize that bullet. You are going to need a minimum 1:9.

Boolit Grand Master

Bullet stabilization for a given caliber and twist is based on the length of the bullet and the velocity. Cast bullets of a given weight are most often shorter than their equal weight jacketed bullet counterpart. Given my MP 227-65 bullet at .700" (including GC) will stabilize in a 12" twist at 2200 fps +/- I doubt the longer MP 224-75 will stabilize at a reasonable cast bullet velocity in a 14" twist given the slower twist and longer bullet.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I appreciate your expert opinion, that's what I was afraid of with this long bullet even at say 1800 fps in the 1-14" stabilization will be an issue, I bought the mold years ago on the group buy thinking the way ca reloader is and have yet to even heat that mold up. but in all reality I limit my cast bullet shooting to velocities that have not exceeded about 2200 fps. I only have two guns that bullet might chamber in, a 1-9" AR in 5.56 and the old 22-250. I won't even entertain the thought of using it in the 22 hornet and have more than a lifetime supply of jacketed bullets from 45-77 grains and I dont anticipate obtaining any new guns. maybe I'm best off letting someone else enjoy it that has a use for it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I appreciate your expert opinion, that's what I was afraid of with this long bullet even at say 1800 fps in the 1-14" stabilization will be an issue, I bought the mold years ago on the group buy thinking the way ca reloader is and have yet to even heat that mold up. but in all reality I limit my cast bullet shooting to velocities that have not exceeded about 2200 fps. I only have two guns that bullet might chamber in, a 1-9" AR in 5.56 and the old 22-250. I won't even entertain the thought of using it in the 22 hornet and have more than a lifetime supply of jacketed bullets from 45-77 grains and I dont anticipate obtaining any new guns. maybe I'm best off letting someone else enjoy it that has a use for it.
    Farm, that boolit might shoot in the 22-250 but the speeds are at minimum gonna need to be 2600fps plus. Experiment, you might get there. Im sure you have the powders to do it. W748, 4895, 3031, Varget, CFE223, H335, etc. They can all easily get you into that speed category. Its a gas check boolit. A sufficiently hard alloy and Carnuba Blue or Red could prolly do it. And just think if you did. That would be a devastating boolit on any coyote or rockchuck any of us has ever seen. Also, if its an aluminum mold and you don't wanna try, PM me. If its brass, I already have it, not a fan of brass.

What is the as cast diameter? I might be interested in that mold.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Master
    I can't say what exact cast diameter is because ive never used it. but since it is an mp brass mold id be willing to bet that it casts bullets at least .224 with clip on wheel weight alloy. but also like any other mold depends on what alloy you are casting with.
    it was a group buy here years ago I'm sure others here have the same mold and maybe someone who uses it can tell us what diameter bullets they are getting.

Quote Originally Posted by 5Shot View Post
    What is the as cast diameter? I might be interested in that mold.
    Around .226".

All my .223/5.56 rifles are 1-7 twist. Have to test different loads and see what the barrel likes.

Send me a PM with your price. Aluminum or Brass?
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Just a but of thread drift here with a question.
    I would like to get a stable boolit going in my 223 rifle that has a 1 in 9 twist. I would like to get a muzzle velocity of about 1200-1500fps.
    What would be a good weight boolit to do that?

This rifle shoots sub MOA with jacketed so should do reasonably well with cast.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Just a but of thread drift here with a question.
    I would like to get a stable boolit going in my 223 rifle that has a 1 in 9 twist. I would like to get a muzzle velocity of about 1200-1500fps.
    What would be a good weight boolit to do that?

This rifle shoots sub MOA with jacketed so should do reasonably well with cast.
    About any bullet less than .72 in length.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla