MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slug Gun False muzzle

In a way this sort of applies...
    Recently some customers have been getting me to build smokeless muzzleloaders based on modern bolt action rifles. Not my thing, but it pays the bills. They want to shoot thin jacketed bullets at bore diameter which evidently are soft enough to bump up if loaded heavily enough. And of course they want a muzzle brake, since these rifles have tremendous recoil. So I have learned that a brake with a fairly large diameter bore can accommodate a turned funnel which not only allows them to get the powder charge in, but also functions as a false muzzle and allows the bullet to be started straight with no effort using a fitted short starter. Of course you wouldn't want a brake on your slug gun, but the concept is somewhat similar to what you're doing. Just make enough engagement area to keep everything straight and you should be just fine.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Whitesmoke View Post
    I am not sure what a straight line seater is.Perhaps you might care to elaborate on that one.

As for the false muzzle there was a time years back when my friend was in hospital and an another non shooter friend moved some junk for him and its believed the muzzle may have been mistaken for scrap. The "helpful " friend has passed on is no longer around to ask.
    You might hold hard on those sorts of accusations,OK?

We have decided we don't need the alignment pins as there is no " false Muzzle" rifling to align to the rifle. The front of the FM block will be counter bored to slip over the rifle muzzle for 1 1/4" or so.

Again the sole purpose of the unrifled FM is to keep the slug straight and true as it enters the rifle muzzle.

We have no idea if or not it will work but its better than nothing. I'll report back when we have something to report.

Thanks
    You just explained what a straight line seater is. NOT a false muzzle.

If you go with a straight line seater, you might also need to crown the muzzle.
    I am not a criminal. Dump HR127.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12