Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stevens 44 1/2 32-20 suspect bore

Stevens 44 1/2 32-20 suspect bore

I've had this about a week.the seller on Guns International bragged about the "mint bore " Well...if "mint" means pitted bore in a few places the first few inches then it was mint.
    I did what I do with other similar bores.Harder bullets and rolled in Alox.It took about 40 rounds but it's settled down and m getting no leading.i think the pits fill up with lube and kinda settles in.
    It's now shooting 2 MOA with alot of clustering.the blade front and large rear peep isn't precise but works well enough .
    So far 7-8g of 2400 and the RCBS 98g and the SAECO 322 seem like the bullets it likes.

Attachment 288069

Boolit Buddy

That's a fine looking rifle. Hopefully it settles in for you once you find the right powder and bulet combo it likes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylongrifle32 View Post
    That's a fine looking rifle. Hopefully it settles in for you once you find the right powder and bulet combo it likes.
    It's a model "45" .The challenge is the rather loose sight picture.i have a set of Baldwin sights I could put on it but I'm leaving it as issued.i think I'm pretty close to as good as it will do considering all.my friends uberti low wall 32-20 shoots inch often but it's scoped and has a new bore

Boolit Bub
    May I ask where you found that? I have been looking for one.

Nevermind you mentioned where in your post.

Nice rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by single shot jimmy View Post
    May I ask where you found that? I have been looking for one.

Nevermind you mentioned where in your post.

Nice rifle.
    I was surprised it was still available when I contacted the seller.most if the time I miss out

Attachment 288204

Boolit Bub
    Since it's a single shot, try heavier bullets if you have any 30cal molds that cast a little fat. I've shot Lyman 311291 with good results in a 16'' twist. I'm presently working with 165g Pope stop ring.

Boolit Master

Mighty fine caliber, and rifle!

Boolit Master
    I will get you some bullets made up from that mold we discussed today,lube and size them and get them out to you.

Quote Originally Posted by 5614estell View Post
    Since it's a single shot, try heavier bullets if you have any 30cal molds that cast a little fat. I've shot Lyman 311291 with good results in a 16'' twist. I'm presently working with 165g Pope stop ring.
    Pope bullets were not stop ring type,do you mean baseband?

The twist is 1-20 for 32-20. 32-40 typically 1-16

Boolit Bub
    Nope, not a baseband bullet. As I have heard/read, Pope designed the 308403 for use in the Springfield. The stop ring lets you load an almost breach seated bullet in a bolt action. That was the rumor I heard. I had my rifle rebored by JES, and it does have a 16" twist. My 32-40 has a 14" twist. The 32-20 is FBW J model.

Nope, not a baseband bullet. As I have heard/read, Pope designed the 308403 for use in the Springfield. The stop ring lets you load an almost breach seated bullet in a bolt action. That was the rumor I heard. I had my rifle rebored by JES, and it does have a 16" twist. My 32-40 has a 14" twist. The 32-20 is FBW J model.
    That's not really a stop ring bullet.its a baseband type.A stop ring is a German deal with a foreword driving band (roughly neck diameter) with the
    Body a slip fit in the fired case neck.i have had a couple rare Ideal 30 calibers if this type .The 308403 was designed for the Springfield .the original correct cherry had the last band reverse tapered as Pope designed to help it seat into the throat. Later ones were cylindrical and not quite correct.I have both versions and the tapered one is better shooting.i had Accurate make me a bullet similar to Pope's but about 215g.i use it in a Ruger #1 30-06. I don't finger Seat the bullet though I use a push type breach seater. There is not a lot of camming power in the falling block works action . And the 32-20 does not have a lot of throat I'm surprised the fat band of the 403 allows it allows it to close on that cartridge.

i didn't think JES did .30 caliber rebores?
    Last edited by HARRYMPOPE; 09-05-2021 at 08:19 AM.

Boolit Bub
    OK My mold is a NOE 308-167fn. I suppose I have incorrectly read the description. Just take off Pope. Ask Jesse. Apparently JES does not update their website often. I called JES about rebore/rechamber of a 25 20.This was his suggestion. I finger seat the bullet and push it "home" w/ dowel rod. The bullet is also tapered and isn't hard to seat. I guess the bullet is not a stop ring but is tapered baseband. Seems to serve the same function.
    Last edited by 5614estell; 09-05-2021 at 08:36 AM.

I tried to get Jesse to do a 30 caliber for me a few years back now I'm going to ask again that's great information. The NOE a very accurate copy of the Pope bullet.

I really like what you're doing with that faster twist 3220 and heavier bullets.

Boolit Bub
    It' been fun. There's not much info on the application. I've been trying molds I have w/o having one made, some were gas checked but that really does no good except to see what will stabilize. The fore mentioned bullet seems to be working, but needs fine tuning. I just got my breach seater if the fixed doesn't pan out. I am hoping for the bullet to work as I don't care for wads and BSing will require one.

I just got back from the range with the 32-20 Stevens. The RCBS 98 size to .314 with 7.5g 2400 seems to be decent enough. Considering the bore condition I'm getting no leading and the accuracy seems to be holding up reasonably well. I'll probably just stop here and use it as an off hand gun. I figure close to 1.5 MOA accuracy is about all I should expect from this.
    I shot the last 5 at 200 yd and 4 of them were into a touch over 3" and the last shot went about 7" left!! I was so excited then I was deflated...

Attachment 288303

Boolit Bub
    If you don't mind a gas check, try Ideal/Lyman 311441. The 44 1/2 is a fine rifle.

If you don't mind a gas check, try Ideal/Lyman 311441. The 44 1/2 is a fine rifle.
    I have that mold and it's a good design.im.sticking with plainbase for now.i shot the same 7.5g 2400 load with the Hensley and Gibbs #65 this am.its my favorite in 32 revolvers.it did pretty good for a light little truncated cone bullet.it shot about 2" at 100 yards with most shots closer.

I hate Stevens rifles!

Attachment 288332

Boolit Bub
    Nice! I have only one.

Nice! I have only one.
    I have one back right now with CPA getting a 33/47 barrel fitted. I've managed to round up a couple of tapered 33 caliber molds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast