Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Varget in Garand with J bullets

Boolit Master

Varget in Garand with J bullets

Forgive me for soiling the forum with a J word, but I need a quick answer.

I was given a pound of Varget to try. I typically load my "M2 equivalent" with IMR 4895 but I know lots of people like Varget for this.

What is the popular "go to" charge for a 150 gr FMJ? I have already looked up the data on Hogdon's site so I know the range of starting to max, but I know there is a popular oft quoted "Load" that lots or Garand shooters use.

Can anyone help?

Boolit Master

Jeesh, really? First time this forum ever let me down.

Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master

Patrick, the site didn't let you down. I know a few M1 shooters and none of them use Varget. As you said in your post, the tried and true for the Garand is 4895. A few use 4064 but I don't know anyone who uses Varget. Not that it is a bad powder for the Garand, it just has to do with using something that is tried and true. I also do not shoot cast boolits in my Garand. I shoot the 150 FMJ. I am a traditionalist and an ol dinosaur, hence my way of doing things. I shoot cast in handguns but the only rifles I shoot cast in these days is the 30-30 and .43 Spanish. Take Care and I hope someone comes thru with your information, I just can't help you myself as I don't comment on areas I don't have experience. james

Boolit Master
    Brian Pearce had a complete article on reloading for the M1 Garand in the August Handloader. With a 150 grain Nosler Accubond his data was:
    Varget 46 gr = 2,672 fps Overall length = 3.290"
    47 gr = 2,711 fps
    48 gr = 2,770 fps
    49 gr = 2,812 fps best group (1.05")
    Britons shall never be slaves.

I found Varget to be pretty much interchangeable with 4895 and 4064 in the Garand. Of course start off a little low and work up.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post
    Jeesh, really? First time this forum ever let me down.
    I agree with TNsailorman; "I know a few M1 shooters and none of them use Varget" as I know a lot of M1 shooters and none of them use Varget with 150 gr bullets. It's just too slow burning for optimum performance. To get 2800 fps with a 150 gr bullet out of the M1 with Varget will result in a gas port pressure that is too high. Yes, Varget and 4064 are used with 175/178/180 gr bullets at 2550 - 2600 fps. Using Varget with the 150 gr bullets I wouldn't use more than 46 gr but then that only nets 2600 fps +/- but keeps the gas port pressure reasonable.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Varget was given its name by Hodgdon as a mix of the words "VARmit" and "TarGET", the two main uses they expected for it. Hodgdon, when they ran out of WWII surplus powders made by DuPont, started making powders with very similar burn rates, but they eventually had shorter grain lengths, and were advertised as burn rates being insensitive to ambient temperatures. Varget was introduced to be their powder similar in burn rate to IMR4064.

Many of my Service Rifle competitor friends like Varget for .223. I've always been happy with Re15 or 4895 for .223, and while I really like 4064 for .30-'06, I've never gotten Stellar results from Varget.

Boolit Master

I was under the impression that Varget and 4064 were the two other propellants that were right in the 4895 burn rate and as such used to make M2 equivalent handloads (ie 150 gr @2600-2700 fps.) Perhaps I was mistaken. I certainly respect Larry's opinions on most everything we talk about here.

I do have that Handloader article by Brian Pearce, and I do respect his opinions. Maybe I'll try his recommendations and see how it goes. Like I said, I was gifted a pound, just wanted to try it.

Boolit Master

I am using old Norma 202 which is close to Reloader 12 , have a schuster plug in , took 3 turns for it to eject and load and lock back , Varget is slower more like Reloader 15 , ran out of my old surplus 30-06 powders and had to use what was at hand .

Boolit Master

4064 is in the right burn rate for the M1 Garand. Varget is about the same burn rate as 4064. I don't know why Varget never worked for me, but maybe it will for you.

Go to the following website, and click on the "reloading stuph" hyperlink in the upper left. You'll see a bunch of loads that the author was told in surveys of High Power shooters. Varget is there for all 3 calibers. http://www.radomski.us/njhp/cart_tech.htm
    Last edited by NuJudge; 08-31-2021 at 07:35 AM. Reason: darn autocorrect

Boolit Master
    As much as I respect Brian Pearce, I think some of the data in his article is a little too hot for the Garand. Maybe I'm just too conservative, but I wouldn't put 49 grains of Varget with a 150 grain bullet through my Garand.

Parts for the Garand aren't as cheap and plentiful as they once were. It just doesn't make sense to beat up these old war horses.

Boolit Master

OK gents, thanks for all the input.

Based on both Larry's recommendation and the fact that Hogdon's data suggests 47 gr as a starting load, I loaded up a few at 46.0 grains. Function was 100% in both my M1s, and accuracy at 100 yds equaled or actually probably surpassed USGI surplus M2. (Equaled the Greek stuff I purchased years ago from CMP which I found to be the best ball I ever shot.) Probably about 2 1/2 -3 ".

I will use up this pound of powder, but will certainly try to stick to 4895 (it hurts, but I'm into the last of the 4 surplus 8# jugs I bought from Widener's in 2003!) or 4064 in the future.

Boolit Buddy
    .308 shooters love Varget, and fight over 748 when they can find it.

Boolit Master
    Yes we do Varget is my favorite for the .308.

If you find it, try 4166 in the Garand as well. It burns a bit faster than Varget, closer to 4064. I use 4166 for jacketed in the Garand (3031 for cast).