Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I still am amazed that I can make bullets!

I still am amazed that I can make bullets!

Yesterday was cloudy and in the low 70s with no wind and no rain expected. Perfect for me to cast outdoors. So out came the NOE (correction, M&P) 135g 9mm mold that drops 9 at once. I wasn't breaking any records for fast moves, and today when I coated them and after picking out culls I got 840ish. There may be a few more culls though. I'm getting a strange flaw in the base, but I'll make a new thread with pictures. Not a huge amount of them, but any culls are too many and I'd like to know what's causing them.

Now to size them and I need to go easy there. I'm still getting my right arm (mostly) back and I don't want to regress and go backwards from my last repetitive motion injury from sizing bullets a month ago. It's slow in coming back.

I need to work up a load and I'd like to have 4k of them on the shelf so that I can load them this winter.

Same plan goes for a 220gr .308 for 300BLK. But dropping 5 at a time will slow down the casting a bit. Oddly enough the flaws in the base of the 9mms aren't seen in these bullets.
    Last edited by BJK; 08-30-2021 at 03:49 PM.

Boolit Master

What does the flaw look like?

Boolit Master
    It's nice being able to produce your own boolits , I remember using store bought bullets , I would run out when loading ammunition .

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    It's nice being able to produce your own boolits , I remember using store bought bullets , I would run out when loading ammunition .
    Now you run out of store got bullets and go back, the store is out. I am grateful I can make my own.

Here's what the flaws look like. Sorry the 2nd one is out of focus.

I'm casting with a ladle. I was thinking maybe they are air pockets from not having the mould level. They're not many but I'd like to figure out why I get them. They are the only flaw I'm finding. So far I had maybe 30 out of 860 poured (all guesstimates).

Last edited by BJK; 08-30-2021 at 09:55 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Went2kck View Post
    Now you run out of store got bullets and go back, the store is out. I am grateful I can make my own.
    It just gets better and better. Took awhile but it finally began to dawn on me that my own cast Lee .430" 240 grain SWC's were actually more accurate in my Ruger 44 Special than my old store bought bullets. Same again for my button nose .358" 148 grain button nose wad cutters. For one thing mine were not hard cast. Just really had a glow on after realizing I was saving quite a bit of money and shooting more accurate bullets. Of course the extra even above that is that I really enjoy the casting process.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master

BJK:

The flaw looks the same on both boolits in the pic you posted. I understand from your post that the flaw is a small percentage of those cast and you indicate that you have a 9 cavity mold. I would look at each cavity of the mold and see of you have a piece of foreign material adhered to the side wall of one of the cavities.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

I'm guessing that the cavity is 'gassing' from lube on that side of the mould just inside the base?

Poor pictures to judge whether they are both identical so it being a foreign 'something' I can't say.

Love a good riddle to solve, I always learn something.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Nothing to do with the defect but it looks like Lee lube on the boolit. To my eye it looks like waaaay too much lube.

Look up Ben's Liquid Lube. It's a mix of Lee's and liquid floor was, goes on thinner, dries better and smokes less.

The original recipe called for Johnson's liquid floor was, it's now obsolete but Ben has come up with a different floor wax, although you may be able to find some of the original Johnson's in backwoods hardware stores. I've found a half dozen cans in my travels in northern Michigan over the last two or three years.

Suspect there are a few cans lurking on back shelves in the hinterlands.

Big city hardware stores seem to keep a closer eye on inventory and broom old obsolete stuff sooner.

Silly people, what about us old guys that repurpose that kind of stuff? I'm just trying to be green!.

The looks I've gotten when I told store clerks that I want the Johnson's wax for boolit lube have been great.

They figure I am a candidate for the senile ward down at the old folks home.

Well, I am, but that's a whole 'nother story.
    Last edited by 15meter; 08-30-2021 at 11:21 AM.

Boolit Buddy

I have had that defect before on my 9mm and 40 bullets.
    Since it's the top section of the cavity, I have assumed it's incomplete fill out because of slow flow of lead into the cavity and trapped hot gases. Like an air bubble that didn't get forced out thru the vent lines.
    I am just guessing on this.
    Sometimes times it's a very slight defect that is hard to see. I have definitely shot some these bullets. Still puts holes in the paper.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Mustang is on to something. I had something like that with one of my NOE molds. Not sure what it was, but it was stuck to the side of the mold good. Took a propane torch and a popsicle stick to get it off. Might have been a piece of antimony.

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Nothing to do with the defect but it looks like Lee lube on the boolit. <snip>
    I caught the defect after the first coat of Hi-Tek Old Gold color was applied. The first coating is always spotty and has that look. After the 2nd coat the bullet is uniformly covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Valley-Shooter View Post
    Sometimes times it's a very slight defect that is hard to see. I have definitely shot some these bullets. Still puts holes in the paper.
    I don't bother culling them if the defect is small. But that large do you think it'll affect accuracy?

BTW gents, Thanks. I appreciate the help.

Boolit Master
    I get the exact same defect in all 3 of my no lube groove bullets (made for PC). I stopped using them for that reason. Where did you find a 9-hole NOE mold? That 135 gr NOE bullet (with lube groove) is my favorite for 9mm. .38 Sp, .357.
    Loren

Boolit Master
    I had a similar problem and it was due to poor venting. Clean out the vent lines on the mold with a pencil or be real careful with a razor blade.

Quote Originally Posted by rockshooter View Post
    9-hole NOE mold?
    Senior moment! It's a M&P mould. Sorry!

The mould is clear and it's not on every drop but inconsistent. I think Valley-Shooter might be on track. There are times that my aim with the ladle isn't what I would wish for. But I'm not going to tap the mould to allow inertia to fill out the cavity. I don't think I would enjoy 700°F lead on my skin if it splashed. Other than a better aim a tap is my other solution, and something I'm not about to do. I thought it was me not holding the mould horizontal and a less than perfect fill, but a lazy fill might account for it. They do happen, more when I start to get fatigued. Maybe I need to take more breaks and enjoy the day. But it's hard for me to slow down. My mind is 20 years old, but my body is a bit older. Too, maybe I just need to give thanks for what I can do and just accept the few culls. But it's annoying! (so is aging- still trying to come grips with it)

I'll try that reddog! Pencil it is.

Boolit Master
    For me those things occur when the pour is bad. Either lead 'leaks' into the cavity from the previous one or I just don't get a good puddle on the sprue. As it cools there is no 'extra' lead to fill in so you get that void.

Thought those were boolits for powder coating, but the lube looked like some of my first efforts at tumble lubing.

Learn how to do it a whole bunch better over the years.

Curious what they look like when done, never fooled with powder coating. Always assumed it went on more evenly.

faster fill hotter mold too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast