Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Kentucky Rifle Kit from Traditions

Boolit Buddy

Kentucky Rifle Kit from Traditions

I am looking at the Kentucky rifle kit from Traditions for a friend to get him started in muzzleloading. I like the low price, but the low price also makes me suspicious. I am sure a few people here have purchased these kits and assembled them and used them. I want to get your opinions. We will be using these Kentucky rifles to hunt wild pigs.

Boolit Grand Master

Cap or flint? It's a good starter gun in caplock. Flint, I'd splurge nd get a little better one. Flint has a bigger learning curve than the cappers.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy

It will be a caplock.

Boolit Master
    I am building my second Traditions "Kit"and I helped a friend build one of their Kentucky Kit for his grandsons.
    The kits are easy to put together , and produce a good rifle.
    I would hunt with them.
    They are for sure not the Top of the Line for kits or final products.
    But they are a very good Starting Point and are reasonable priced for what you end up with.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I am building my second Traditions "Kit"and I helped a friend build one of their Kentucky Kit for his grandsons.
    The kits are easy to put together , and produce a good rifle.
    I would hunt with them.
    They are for sure not the Top of the Line for kits or final products.
    But they are a very good Starting Point and are reasonable priced for what you end up with.
    That is what I was looking for. A low cost, but serviceable entry level rifle kit. Thanks much!

Boolit Master
    I'm not a big fan of the Brass forestock separator, but it's serviceable. I picked up an old CVA kit at a yard sale many years back, and made it a half stock, eliminated the brass plate, and installed a permanent, epoxy bonded spacer made from contrasting wood. I find the final result a bit more esthetically pleasing!

Boolit Buddy
    In general, Traditions are serviceable basic rifles and while not target guns, are more than adequate for hunting purposes. For patch round ball, stick with real black powder 3f, pillow ticking patch lubed with either spit or mink oil, and a round ball that's about .005 under bore size.
    A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.
    Rudyard Kipling

Palmetto Sharpshooters
    North South Skirmish Association
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

Boolit Bub
    Sound and serviceable. What more can you ask for. If going flint, I would definitley spend more for a quality lock. In percussion you should be good to go. Clean it thoroughly.
    How meaningful can you be, there is only so much to say before you are talking too much.

Boolit Master
    My first BP rifle was an old CVA kit KY rifle. Looked the same as the newer Traditions stuff. It shot well and was reliable.

Boolit Buddy

I just used my Discover card to buy one from Dixie Gun Works website.

Boolit Master
    I am almost finished with the Traditions Crockett .32 Kit that I am building for my wife.
    So I ordered a Pedersoli .32 Cub flintlock rifle kit from Dixie for me to have a small caliber rifle to go shooting together.
    Good luck with your build.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I am almost finished with the Traditions Crockett .32 Kit that I am building for my wife.
    So I ordered a Pedersoli .32 Cub flintlock rifle kit from Dixie for me to have a small caliber rifle to go shooting together.
    Good luck with your build.
    Thanks much!

It is actually going to be my friend's build. He is a machinist and had told me that he wanted to learn more about firearms. A muzzle loading rifle kit will be a very good start. I told him that he can join us next year at my brother's place in Arkansas for a wild pig hunt
    After he builds this Kentucky Rifle kit, he can move on to more advanced projects. I told him to get the print catalogs from Brownell's and Numrich Gun Parts Corporation; that he should buy gunsmithing books from Brownell's and start purchasing beat up guns at pawnshops for restoration projects.
    Last edited by Sixgun Symphony; 09-20-2021 at 02:52 PM. Reason: More details

Boolit Master
    If your friend wants to do Home Gunsmithing then I suggest that he shop around Used Book Stores.
    Over the years , I got a whole lot of used gunsmithing books.
    I still have most of then , and still use them for certain references or Ideas .
    It is a cheaper way to aquire more knowledge.
    I would have been done with the Crocket Kit weeks ago.
    But because of my knowledge and skill level , I am doing things like adding a patch box , a brass inletted side plate for the lock and a decorative brass Dragonfly to fancy it up for my wife.
    I just wish I could post you pictures of this work.
    Last edited by LAGS; 09-20-2021 at 03:16 PM.