Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: 30-06 Powder and Cast Conundrum

Boolit Master

30-06 Powder and Cast Conundrum

Years ago a friends wife went from her trusty lever gun to an A bolt.
    She was concerned about the difference in operation and the cost/recoil in getting used to the new gun so I offered to run up some cast loads for the purpose.
    Push come to shove I got part of a box of loaded rounds back.
    I needed entertainment the other day while letting a gun I was testing loads for cool down between groups so I drug out the trusty 03 BOOLIT gun. Entertainment, empty the brass, and get some extra shooting time in worked for me. Well the load I put up all those years ago shot very well so when I got home I broke on down, unknown primer (likely WLR), 150 RCBS FPGC, 16 grains of powder.
    WHAT HE HECK POWDER IS THAT??????
    I do not recognize it as any powder I have, not a spherical, flake or rod shape. Small particles in physical size.
    Why didn't I label that box of rounds, I would like to duplicate the load because it shot very well.
    I have poured powder out of every container I have and none are even close. I have run out of only one powder but can not imagine using it and certainly not at 16 grains.
    Gist of the story . . . .
    Label, Label, Label the load information.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 08-29-2021 at 01:18 PM. Reason: corrections
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

Years ago I never labeled any of my reloads. Being a poor Marine; I would shoot it up as fast as I could afford to buy components and reload it. As times and the wallet improved; I ran into the same problem as I would have a box of .45ACP, or 30-06's, or 7.62 that I did not know what boolit/Bullet was used or the powder - but shot them up any way. It dawned on me that I needed to change my ways and I still open some ammo cans from way in the back (physical and time wise), but find at a minimum hand written notes if not labels. We live and hopefully learn with experience.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Super Moderator

If it was one of my cast 30-06 loads with 16 grains of powder, the powder would likely have been 2400. But yeah, labeling your loads will take guesswork out of the equation.

Boolit Master
    If you used to load for a .357 magnum or .22 Hornet, the unidentified powder could be 2400. Another possibility could be SR4756, but that powder is not made anymore. For a good load, just try to find some more 2400, and start there.

16 grains of 2400 was(and is) my 06 go-to plinking load. Does it look like 2400?