Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ? for S&W experts

Boolit Master

Nice gun, congrats....
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Thanks Gary, I was not blown away by the accuracy but it seems to like the old 225 gr RN Lyman and Bullseye powder. Might do better with some tweeking but these old worn out eyes don't contribute a lot to accuracy.Attachment 288217Attachment 288218Attachment 288219Attachment 288220Attachment 288221 I was a bit disappointed with the 253 gr load from the Accurate mold and the 252 Lee which has shot well in other 45's) but the gun will always tell you what it wants! That particular load spit a bit of lead/powder/ powder coating from the cyl-barrel gap. It was the only one that did and I think it may be a bit too fat at the forcing cone?? The cylinder throats are a pretty tight .452 and these were sized to .4515.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I think I solved the spitting problem. When I sized the 253 gr Accurate boolits in my Lyman 450, because I don't have a push through in 4515, I didn't get the full stroke and size the boolits all the way down into the die. This resulted in a .4545 section just above the crimp groove consequently that stuffed a .4545 band into a snug .452 throat. Next range trip will get these properly sized boolits a new test.
    Last edited by murf205; 09-08-2021 at 07:49 AM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Bub
    I have a 1995 era 625-4 and I think they were the last of the forged hammer, no hole guns.

The no hole, or pre-lock as they are sometimes called, will always be an investment. The lock era was when S&W caved in to the Bill Clinton gun control measures.

Boolit Master

I would write to S&W and ask for the real answer.

Boolit Grand Master

This is the factory detent ball on my Performance Center 627. Note the larger ball on the front of the crane and no latch pin for the forward end of the ejector rod. The ball locks into a groove that appears hand fitted into the frame at the bottom of the underlug.

”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12