MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Target sighted model 36?

Target sighted model 36?

Saw a model 36 snubby at a gun show yesterday. It had the really short barrel and an adjustable rear sight. Was this a factory option or after market?

I am a firm believer in adjustable sights on everything just never saw them on a 36 snubby.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

I have a 3inch barrel model 60 with sights its cute

Boolit Grand Master
    They are scarce, but there were some 2,100 made in the 50's, 60's and early 70's. They were cataloged as the model 36-1 and later, as the model 50, some with 3 inch heavy barrels but most were 2 inch. Every one I ever saw was a 2" square butt, but they were made in both square and round butt. In 1989, some 615 3" model 36-6 were made, supposedly as a special edition for one of the big wholesalers. The photos I have seen show some with an underlug, but I have never examined one. They are rare.

I'll bet there was a pretty hefty price tag attached to the one you saw.

The model 60 version is more common in the 3 inch underlug round butt model, but there are also some 2 inch versions. A customs inspector of my acquaintance carried one back in the 80's.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 08-30-2021 at 11:10 AM. Reason: add info.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    They are scarce, but there were some 2,100 made in the 50's, 60's and early 70's. They were cataloged as the model 36-1 and later, as the model 50, some with 3 inch heavy barrels but most were 2 inch. Every one I ever saw was a 2" square butt, but they were made in both square and round butt. I'll bet there was a pretty hefty price tag attached to the one you saw.

The model 60 version is more common in the 3 inch underlug round butt model, but there are also some 2 inch versions. A customs inspector of my acquaintance carried one back in the 80's.
    It was priced in the 500's
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    You should’ve picked that one up

Boolit Grand Master

I have a 60-4 (3" target sighted double under lugged barrel) and it shoots extremely well. It has been quite useful in the field for me!

Dale53

Boolit Master
    M36-6 run had some 3 inch adj sight guns, love mine and I’d take a 2 inch in a heartbeat!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

At one time S&W had options of target hammer and trigger, adjustable sighs, barrel lengths from 17/8 to 5" for the j frames. With the options on one they were a very fine revolver especially for people with smaller hands.

Plus one on the M36-6...a 3" full lugged bbl. with adj. sights in my example. $325 when I bought it here in Louisville back in '92. It was my wife's carry gun when working for the state over in eastern KY. I have its magnum mate now...a full lugged M60 in .357. Both are an absolute joy to shoot with 3.5 gr of Bullseye and Lyman's 35891 sized 0.358". That load will put a full cylinder into an inch if I'm have a good eyes day and the sun's behind me. Best Regards, Rod
    Rod

Boolit Mold
    We have .38 spcl. 36-6 with a lug barrel and adjustable sights. It's a round butt gun, finished in a matte blue and stocked with a nice old set of Farrants. Bought it when they first came out and have seen very few since. Cool centerfire Kit Gun.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Krumhunger View Post
    You should’ve picked that one up
    ^^^This^^^ with the proviso that it was original. I’ve seen a few gunsmith-made examples that would have cosiderably less valuable.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"