WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frosted cast bullets & PC.

Boolit Man
    Not a definitive test but I had two sets of the same cast bullet (160 grain Lee RN .308) from two casting sessions. One batch was visibly frosted and "rougher" on the surface than the other. I PC coated them ( Eastwood Ford Light Blue) in one coat and they were baked together in the same oven session but separated. On inspection, I saw that the frosted bullets had a better coating, more evenly uniform and glossy finish than the smooth bullets. I shot all of them otherwise I would show a picture. While I don't necessarily advocate casting frosted bullets, I do agree with the other posters that a hot pot and mold give better fill out and edges and may have a side benefit of better PC. In reality, most of what I have seen with PC procedures is that it is very forgiving. PC and shoot them!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    If frosted and no minor or major voids............COAT 'em and shoot 'em!

Boolit Mold
    I'm new to casting but I've found that the bullets that I cast with Lee 309 230 that are frosted are lighter and some are smaller in diameter. The mold drops at .308 and my bore slugged at .308 so I cant use those smaller diameter boolits. I'm hoping that PC will get the boolits to .309
    There are no dangerous weapons; There are only dangerous men.

Robert A Heinlein

Frosted Bullets & Lee Molds.

After casting with 3 new, different Lee molds this year, i find frosted bullets causing problems. Mold fill out & diameter issues are a problem.
    Perfect bullets can be made controlling how hot the alloy & mold become. Frosted is not a good thing.

My iron molds do not respond the same as aluminum. Diameter loss is about .0005" & no fill out problems.

This weeks new Lee
    Last edited by 243winxb; 10-08-2021 at 02:26 PM.

Learned something today. https://support.leeprecision.net/en/...le-cavity-mold

We made a change to the alignment pin system in 2012, and have produced and delivered tens of thousands of the new style molds, have received glowing reviews and almost complete satisfaction.

The maximum operating temperature should be limited to 400 degrees with the absolute maximum of 450 degrees, for a maximum of 30 minutes. At 450 degrees the pins will turn a pale straw-yellow. Any temperature above this will excessively reduce the tensile strength of the aluminum block by annealing. Once this overheating occurs, the only option is to send it in for replacement.

The aluminum molds will not overheat by simply casting but can be overheated by preheating with a hot plate, torch, setting on top of the pot to heat up or immersing in molten alloy for an excessive amount of time.
    Heat the mold by castings. Pot at maximum heat to start. Then lower it.

More- https://flic.kr/p/2myVqhb
    Last edited by 243winxb; 10-09-2021 at 08:50 AM.

How i see it from using 3 different LEE 2 cavity molds this year. Hope it helps.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    Learned something today. https://support.leeprecision.net/en/...le-cavity-mold

Heat the mold by castings. Pot at maximum heat to start. Then lower it.

More- https://flic.kr/p/2myVqhb
    This is a good reminder,thank you.

Lee molds are cheap to replace but it's good to watch your hot plate / mold temps.

I'm still mad at myself for overheating and warping a nice custom brass 458 mold 20 years ago. Dipped it in alloy, using gas burner @ ladle casting hot and frosty, no thermometers... that mold is very sensitive for whiskers now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12