Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Jeep Wagoneer is back!

Boolit Master

The Jeep Wagoneer is back!

I've owned a couple of the full-size Wagoneers and Cherokees from the 70's and 80's and always loved the style.

So when I heard that Jeep was bringing them back, I got pretty excited to see if they managed to capture the styling and romanticism of the old brand. Not that I could ever afford one anyway, assuming they would start around $50k.

Well, they are finally here, and...

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/test-dr...grand-wagoneer

Attachment 287970

Oh, and the starting prices? For the Wagoneer, it's $60k. For the Grand Wagoneer, it's $90k.

Absolutely ridiculous! The thing looks like a Suburban and a Grand Cherokee had a child with absolutely no styling cues or nod to the legendary Grand Wagoneer of the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's.

Hugely disappointed in Jeep.

Now, if you must absolutely have a true Jeep Grand Wagoneer, there is a company called Wagonmaster that restores them and offers a 100k mile warranty.

These are absolutely mint original Grand Wagoneers.

https://wagonmaster.com/products/199...2115-available

But, they are a bit pricey at $122k for the nicest one...

Attachment 287971

The cheapest one is a bargain at $82k...

Attachment 287972

I have a buddy that has one he bought as a project vehicle years ago that is sitting next to his shop under a cover. He said he wants $1500 for it. Might have to consider that.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

The new one does nothing for me. The old ones to me were one of the most beautiful vehicles, certainly SUVs, ever made. Too bad they were built so poorly! Ten years ago the Wagonmasters were going in the 50K range, that is a big increase.

I'm like your friend, I have a '90 sitting under a carport that has been there a couple of years, it has electrical problems, I guess I ought to do something with it, but I have have kind of become a lot more interested in Land Cruisers.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah.....NO!
    Do I have a knife....Ive got my pants on don't I.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    It's a Fiat.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Comment retracted.
    Last edited by Thundarstick; 08-30-2021 at 08:34 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    I've yet to see any vehicles with variable valve timing engines that don't eat their valve train in 100,000 miles!
    What about the Honda V-TEC and VVT engines?

Or the GM Ecotec motor in my 2007 HHR? It has 211k miles with no engine problems.

What Variable Valve Timing engine have you seen that ate it's valve train before 100k miles?
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

It’s a Chrysler product, pass.

So you thought they'd make it look like the wacky '80's ones AND you're surprised they used the Suburban as a guide when it has ruled the segment for over 80 years?

Okay.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GasGuzzler View Post
    So you thought they'd make it look like the wacky '80's ones AND you're surprised they used the Suburban as a guide when it has ruled the segment for over 80 years?

Okay.
    I'm surprised that you're surprised.

today's SUVs are marketed for soccer moms

...not outdoorsmen

Look what they did to the cherokee and Blazer.....honda CRV clones.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    today's SUVs are marketed for soccer moms

...not outdoorsmen

Look what they did to the cherokee and Blazer.....honda CRV clones.

Exactly! If it's not got a full pickup truck frame, pass on it!

Boolit Master

Exactly! If it's not got a full pickup truck frame, pass on it!
    The new Wagoneer has a full frame, and a Hemi...

Attachment 288023

As does my 4Runner, which is why I chose it. It does just fine towing my 2300 lbs worth of trailer and UTV, and it is rated at 5,000 lbs, but that is pushing it, in my opinion.

The Wagoneer is rated at 10,000 lbs, which is impressive.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    The problem is the non serviceable fuses for the totally integrated power control power distribution fuse box, not the powertrain the Engines & Transmissions are okay. A lot of the electronic parts are dealer only and they can be extremely expensive.

If they can separate them self from the backwards engineering and they could be excellent vehicles. I'm surprised they're moving back towards the ladder type frame as opposed to unibody.

Vvt-i failures are from abuse and failure to properly change the oil regularly. And when someone asks me " how long is this going to last?" I ask them " how long do you want it to last?"

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    What about the Honda V-TEC and VVT engines?

Or the GM Ecotec motor in my 2007 HHR? It has 211k miles with no engine problems.

What Variable Valve Timing engine have you seen that ate it's valve train before 100k miles?
    May have exaggerated that ALL. My daughter's Tahoe did make it to 172,000 before hers failed. Our mechanic said he sees them fail in a little as 50,000 miles, and hers was definitely the exception. Do a little research, and never never buy a high mileage used VVT vehicle! When one of those GM motors is replaced is nearly always with a deactivated VVT valve train. Good news is that on some vehicles the VVT can be disabled by an ECU flash as soon as your factory warranty has expired. If you have a VVT or turbocharger never skimp on oil changes either. The best oil and often.

Vendor Sponsor

Ehh not for me regardless..

I have never bought a new vehicle, sat inside and looked at the 10 or so miles on the odometer. But.. Never had car payments either!

These days I drive a bit of a new car, I buy a used vehicle cheap, then I dump money into a new motor, transmission if either are needed, good tires, even better brakes, and I do my own exhaust. Front end parts if needed, and I get the vehicle into really good shape, I then proceed to drive my almost "new" vehicle until said new parts are wore out and then I sell it and start again.

If I wanted a Jeep, ^^^^ this would be my Jeep.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

May have exaggerated that ALL. My daughter's Tahoe did make it to 172,000 before hers failed. Our mechanic said he sees them fail in a little as 50,000 miles, and hers was definitely the exception. Do a little research, and never never buy a high mileage used VVT vehicle! When one of those GM motors is replaced is nearly always with a deactivated VVT valve train. Good news is that on some vehicles the VVT can be disabled by an ECU flash as soon as your factory warranty has expired. If you have a VVT or turbocharger never skimp on oil changes either. The best oil and often.
    The issue you are talking about is cylinder deactivation or displacement on demand. Not variable valve timing. Completely different systems.

Boolit Buddy
    Just Empty Every Pocket.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

Boolit Master
    They’ve always made junk.

Boolit Master
    Here’s the thing, it’s just boring.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Here’s the thing, it’s just boring.
    Yep.

My last Jeep Wagoneer...

Attachment 288033

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast