Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else like the SKS?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    and Woolworths
    Yes!!!!!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

It's probably about time that someone puts a pic of one of these rifles up here. This one is a 1954 Tula. It is a refurb, which means that it has been reconditioned as needed by professional armorers, (slave labor??) in a Russian armory, and stored for future use or sale. I guess Canada is full of these rifles, and by all accounts Canadians may even use them for jack handles, door stops and post hole diggers. jd

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	christmas SKS.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	287974
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    Nope. Thought about getting one as a truck gun. Then I got to fire a couple and didn't care for it. Don't really like AR's or AK's either so I am probably biased against the 'assault' guns. My 'black' gun is a Garand

I love mine! It is a Yugo with the rifle grenade muzzle device and the ladder sights.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

A mostly milled steel autoloader for (at the time) about a hundred bucks? What's not to like?

Back before L.A. County kicked out the MASSIVE Pomona gun show, I walked past a table that had an absolutely HAMMERED Norinco prominently displayed on an elevated stand like a place of honor. I asked what the deal was, and was shown the Vietnam-era capture and bring-back paperwork.

Despite the external rust, water-damaged wood, and, as I recall, split stock repaired with wire, the inside of the chrome-lined bore gleamed like a new one. Gotta respect commie hardware for it's ability to keep running, if not its finesse.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    I have always wanted a couple each SKSs and 6920s, ammo in those big boxes you open with a crowbar, I am late to get the gettin' from the gettin place while the gettin' was good.

It ain't good no more.

I got to choose between guns and gasoline, and the truck needs to be filled up.

I'm going to keep driving, my guns ain't going to get rusty, that's for dang sure.

I got a helping hand at the end of my arm, and better days surely around the corner.

It's bad enough that hundreds of thousands of guns and accompanying ammo got left in Afghanistan, to arm taliban fatheads, we are still payin' the note on, instead of brought over here and sold on the free market for a direct profit, to the American people...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I traded for a Norinco and when I took it out to shoot I couldn't keep all rounds on an 8x11 piece of paper. Some of the holes on target were sideways. After trying a few things and it still shot very poorly I checked the crown. It looked like it was cut with a hammer and chisel. I cut 1/4" from the barrel and recrowned it and now it shoots about 3" at 100yds. I now like it well enough for what it is and what it costs.

Boolit Master

With all due respect to the AR platforms, I will go toe to toe with any AR with my Yugo. I carried an A-2 in the service years ago, and was not impressed.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I picked up an all number matching Norinco two years ago. Traded 3, 150 round 5.56 boxes of ammo I bought at Walmart for $36ea and $174 for it. Shoots great and very accurate. I remember when they flooded my LGS around the late 80’s for around $89/99 along with the Mac 90’s for $299. I steered away from them. Figured I wanted my hard earned money at the time to go to a new gun. The Mac’s were more then what I made in week and needed gas and food more. I did buy a bubbad one back around 2000’ for $145. It had a folding stock and converted to AK mags. It would never feed and jam all the time. I sold it for $250 a year later. I saw the rifle the other day at my buddies house…I don’t miss it. Don’t care for bubbad firearms.

Boolit Master
    3-4" groups at 100 yards are normal for a SKS and a reasonably good shooter. I've done that or better with 40 year younger eyes, but not any more. People have bad mouthed the accuracy of the SKS, and say the AR is so much more accurate. I think open sights on any gun you will be hare pressed to do better than 3" groups, especially if you have the same sights the SKS comes with.
    Some have talked about the "good old days" when you could get a new SKS for $89. That's cheap in today's dollars, but you could also buy a Snickers bar for 35 cents, and a gallon of gas for less than a buck back then. I could drive my truck for a week on $20 worth of gas. Today it barely gets me home from the gas station. Today's price on the SKS is in line with inflation.
    I bubbafied an SKS in the 80's. After shooting it a few times I couldn't wait to get it back to how it left the factory.

Boolit Master

Bought one of the chinese imports back it the day.
    Shot 4 rounds of handloads, stocked it in plastic stock and it has been in the safe ever since
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    A mostly milled steel autoloader for (at the time) about a hundred bucks? What's not to like?

Back before L.A. County kicked out the MASSIVE Pomona gun show, I walked past a table that had an absolutely HAMMERED Norinco prominently displayed on an elevated stand like a place of honor. I asked what the deal was, and was shown the Vietnam-era capture and bring-back paperwork.

Despite the external rust, water-damaged wood, and, as I recall, split stock repaired with wire, the inside of the chrome-lined bore gleamed like a new one. Gotta respect commie hardware for it's ability to keep running, if not its finesse.
    I was given a Vietnam SKS with the bring back paper work. And to top it all off, I know the gentleman who brought it back, we shoot together at once a month! One of those things that will stay with me till I pass it on to my son. Who also shoots with him at least once a month.

Boolit Master
    In the early 1990s, I happened into my LGS with cases of NEW Chinese SKSs for $85 each with sling, chest pouch, cleaning kit, etc. I took a case. The SKS is the BEST farm gun ever made. One SKS replaced my $20 (circa 1965) DCM M1 Carbine for all time. My John Deere tractor will not start unless my SKS is on board. LOL.

Many chucks, coyotes and other vermin NEVER outran that SKS 10 round magazine! My go to gun is my SKS which likes my handloads. I did remove the bayonet to install a fluted muzzle brake.

Adam

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Had a Russian and a chineese , and while they both work well the accuracy was not there . Sold them both and got rid of the ammo . Had one of them shot as good as a worn out Garand I would have kept it and the ammo ........... cases of it .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    Jack,

The SKS is not for everyone. For me, it is the best farm gun here in PA I could wish for. No, it is not a match gun, but it never failed me. That is why I keep 4 in reserve. Were all your cases of ammo made by slave labor? Accuracy is dependent on the gun, the ammo or the shooter.

Be well.

Adam

Boolit Master
    I had one several years ago think I paid $50.00 for it got rid of it after I shot it a little. I just don't like semi autos.

Boolit Master
    They are what they are and they work, fun to shoot and play with. AK's are not allowed to live here but the thinking is I will grab the folded ready VZ.

Boolit Grand Master

I simply modified the gas tube to ease the ejection of the brass similar to the M1/M14/M1Carbine rifles. Still have to police up the brass but its a lot easier with this mod.

SKS GAS TUBE MODIFICATION

SKS rifles are notorious for their violent ejection of fired cases. This may be desirable on the Russian tundra at 20 below but for the reloader trying to find the brass it is intolerable. The following modification will allow the rifle to function reliably yet will deposit the brass into a small area to the right front of the shooter. It also will lessen the hazard to bystanders. Velocity of the ammunition used is not effected.

Use standard 7.62x39 ammunition or the equivalent hand load with 123-125 grain bullets when making this modification. The gas system of the SKS allows for more than enough gas port pressure to drive the piston back in the gas tube and cycle the action. This was designed this way to ensure absolute reliable functioning in extreme temperatures and conditions. What this modification does is simply to “vent” the gas after it has imparted enough motion to the piston to cycle the action with out driving it so violently back. As this modification vents the gas rather quickly the use of other than standard ammunition to regulate this cycling may cause malfunctions then when standard ammunition is used.

Attention cast bullet shooters: if you want to shoot really reduced loads with light bullets then regulate it with that. With Lee's 312-155 or heavier bullets I've found functioning to be fine with the conversion made for standard ammo. When medium burning powders (4895, etc.) are used and velocity is in the 1600 fps range I've not had any malfunctions.

To accomplish this modification it will require the following tools:

15 drill bits from #45 (smallest) to #31 (largest)
    Center punch
    Small round file
    Electric drill, cordless or hand drill if power is available at range.

Before going to the range remove the gas tube from the SKS and take out the piston. On each side of the gas tube center punch .22” back from the face of the gas tube. Center punch .35” back from the face of the gas tube directly on top. Now drill each with the #45 drill. You will now have 3 holes, one on each side and one on top. The hole on top will be slightly further back from the ones on the sides. Debur the inside of the tube with the file lightly and reassemble the piston into the tube and assemble it back onto the rifle. Load up the tools, ammo and rifle and head to the range.

Fire 5 rounds and observe the ejection pattern and how violent the action cycles. Drill out the top hole only using one size drill larger at a time. Test firing with at least 3 rounds between each drilling. You must disassemble the gas tube each time to drill.
    NOTE:
    I have found on several Russian SKSs that with 2 side holes of #45 size and the top hole of #31 size they will lay the brass into and area of about 3 feet diameter about 6-8 feet to my right front when shooting from a sitting position. The recoil of the rifle is much easier to manage as the action is not functioning nearly so violently. A couple have required the 2 side holes to be enlarged to #40 drill bit size.

Several SKSs have required an additional hole .3” behind the top one to subdue the ejection of 150 gr bullet top end loads. With this tube factory 123 - 125 gr and equivalent loads ejects very softly right outside the SKS. Any reduction other than full loads (I use 22.5 gr H4227 behind the 123 - 125 gr J bullets) results in malfunctions. If the first three holes have not “vented” enough gas then drill this 4th hole. Again starting with the #45 drill bit and going one size larger with a test firing each time. If standard j bullet loads are going to be used with the same tube I suggest test both between each drill size.

CAUTION
    It is easy to get impatient and drill to much too quick without adequate test firing, DON’T!! You can’t put the metal back. If you do mess it up new gas tubes are available at gun shows and out of Shotgun News for a reasonable price. If you’re not sure of your abilities get one first and try it before messing up the original. I have not messed any up using the above method. I have one tube (original Chinese tube that does fit the Russian with minimal fitting) that when used on my favorite Russian will lay the brass almost within arms reach.

The photo shows my current 2 tubes. I have done quite a few of these for others but don't have photos of them. The front tube is the Chinese tube and you can see the larger rear hole. It is the tube I use with my heavier 150 gr cast bullet loads. The rear tube is the original Russian tube and it is drilled for J bullet factory, milsurp and reloads. Switching out tubes is easy and it's nice to have both so you might want to consider getting a second tube also.

Attachment 288078
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Didn't like it enough to take one home for 150$ in 2014, got nothing against them and would probably have one if they were still 150$.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I'm not sure if Winchester was using slave labor at the time ... maybe ?

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast