WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else like the SKS?

Boolit Master

Does anyone else like the SKS?

I used to have a FFL and sold about 30 of these rifles over a few year period in the mid 80's. Several of them I'd shoot a case or two of ammo through before someone would come along and have to have it when I didn't have a new one in stock. Flash forward 40 years and I still think they are an awesome rifle. About 10 years ago while the whole country was rushing to the black rifle, I said I'd never own one because I couldn't see anything vastly improved over 60 year old technology. About 6 years ago when the black rifle hit the top of the guns to ban list, I decided to get one while I still could. I can't say I dislike the AR, but if the only thing left after a boating accident was an SKS, I wouldn't feel like I was under armed.

Boolit Grand Master
    I liked them when they were $100 but not at current prices.
    Don Verna

I've still gots three of them -- two Rooskie Tulas, and a Norinco that I've Bubba'd into a tactical ninja type.

I still belong to the SKS Forum, but don't go there much anymore. Doesn't look like many others do either.

They are a lovable little milsurp that will certainly grow on ya. If I had to hit the road or the trenches with a battle rifle, it would be one of them. A friend who spent a lot of time in the poop in Viet Nam, told me that the NV with AK's sprayed a lot of bullets, but the guys with SKS's would shoot your ass.

I guess I love em. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Super Moderator

I still like them quite a bit, more so than the AK's. They are accurate and go bang every time, and have chrome lined barrels for shooting the corrosive 7.62x39. I liked them better when J&G Sales had them for $59.95, yep way back in the good ol' days (think Ross Perot). Nope, you're not under-armed with an SKS...as long as you make sure you have plenty of ammo for it. Perhaps another reason to like the AR's in 300BLK though.

Boolit Master
    I have owned quite a few of them over the years, can't say that any of them were tack drivers - but they're sort of like owning a ball peen hammer with a steel handle - always there, never fails. In other words, they're the c-ration of my firearms.
    I don't believe that I would pay asking price today for one as there are far better options now, but I believe that I have $90ish in my most expensive Russian one.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Owned quite a few years ago , ex wife and her kids stole some , still have a Norinco rifle and a paratrooper and a Russian .

I used that Norinco hunting deer in the thick reprod , brought home plenty of deer with it using the Norinco soft point ammo , wished I had stocked up on it .

Boolit Master
    I have a 52 tula that came the way of Albania, it's not perfect but shoots great. I still bring it out and shoot it from time to time.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I also like the SKS. I've been on the wrong end of them, have shot hundreds of them and own a very nice Russian. I've also a lot of experience with AKs but never desired to won one if that says anything. My Russian is quite accurate with Quality bullets such as .310/.311 jacketed bullets 123/125 gr weight. I load them to 2350 fps over 4227. I've bedded the Russian, reworked the trigger to a nice clean 4 lb break and modified the gas tube so the ejection is about like an M1/M14/M1 Carbine. I've adjusted the sights so it is properly zeroed. When my eyes were good it would hold 10 shots in 2-3 moa. With ammo loaded in the 10 round stripper clips I never felt "under gunned" with the SKA.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I have a yugo and a chinese. The yugo is my "come and take it" go-to.

Boolit Buddy
    I like the 10 round magazine it's hard to loose and hard to damage . So many other rifles if you loose the magazine or clip you have a single shot .

Boolit Grand Master

I like the SKS way better than the AK47 but I have little use for either. I flat-out love the AR15 with match barrels and triggers. They can be made into 3/8 MOA guns that excel at a lot of applications. The SKS seems to me to be between a M1 30 Carbine and Winchester 94 in 30/30. Between the SKS and the 94 I prefer the 94. Two of my three 94's out shoot my single SKS. That being said I have only shot a couple of SKS.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I'm on board the SKS train! I've got several. A Russian, Chinese, and Yugos. They're all good. Much more of a rifleman's rifle than the AK series. I like them all, but favor the Yugo version. Ah...for the good old days of surplus.....

DG

The poor man's .30-30...…… I had one when they were $99, then spent a whole $10 for the 5-shot conversion to make it legal for hunting.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    Bought a Norinco at $99. When that one got stolen, I got a Yugo at $160 which was still a bargain in my eyes. Wish I had bought a crate of the Yugos at 6 to the crate times 160. Would have been a good investment. Neither of them ever had a glitch of any sort.
    IIRC the Norincos had a chrome lined bore but the Yugos didn't. If there were any other variations, I don't remember them.

I have owned 4. An early norinco was my favorite. It shot pretty well and I shot several thousand rounds out of it. It broke the extractor. And it doubled on me once so I replaced the seat/magazine latch spring. I don’t think it ever jammed except when it broke the extractor. I liked the feel and weight and overall size of it. Wish I had it back.

Boolit Grand Master

I bought my Norinco brand new in cosmoline with sling, oiler, chest bandolier, 10 stripper clips and 100 rounds of steel core ammo in the 80s for $89 as I recall it. I liked the idea of that cheap, cheap Chinese steel core ammo and cases I could sweep up and throw away instead of reload. Then someone chambered a pistol for it and POOF! Verboten armor piercing ammunition and unimportable. As rifles go it is pretty crude. Fit and finish shows the $89 price tag. The Chinese softwood stock is finished in some strange red orange varnish. The trigger is atrocious. Heavy with more creep and grit that anything I’ve ever pulled before.

Yeah, I like it.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

The SKS Forum used to be a very active place. Many guys were collectors of the incredible number of variants of SKS's. These rifles were produced in Russia, China, Yugoslavia, Albania, --- and used extensively in many other countries.

I think the cheapest ones I've encountered were Chinese for $89.95 in the late seventies or early eighties. (don't remember for sure) A complete, un-modified, Russian, Non-refurb, will prolly go for a cool thousand these days. Most of us aren't inclined to cut loose of what we've got. We're approaching the times when a sack full of US dollars won't be worth squat, and something like an SKS will be worth a couple of hogs. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master

I have always wanted an Sks

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Who remembers seeing barrels of these on end caps in K Mart?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Who remembers seeing barrels of these on end caps in K Mart?

and Woolworths
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast