RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have experience with a single 7 .327?

Anyone have experience with a single 7 .327?

Just scored a Lipsey's 4 5/8" in .327. I have a .327 sp 101 and have been very eased with it with medium loads of promo with wadcutters and 2400 with the accurate 105 boolit.

Hope this little guy does as well.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have 4, all Ruger's.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3803.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	287955Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3768 (1).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	287956Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3770.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	287957Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	287958Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	287959

The first production series were definitely in the category of "Kit" guns: I had to polish the feed of the loading gate to get it to allow 327 cartridges to chamber on my 5 1/2 incher, the 7 1/2" got a trip back to the factory to get it operable, and the trigger action on the SP 101 was awful. But a spring kit, some action work, a set of shims, made the SP 101 very useable and my most recent, the 4 5/8 inch blue gun was perfectly fine from the get go. That was the bad news.

But the good news is that these are very, very accurate guns. That 7 1/2 inch gun has shot several honest 1 inch 25 yard groups with Hornady 100 grain jacketed over a stiff charge of H110. The 5 1/2 inch gun has done very nearly as well. The SP 101 is now one of my woods walking guns, the only one not outstanding is the blued gun. It has some "Big game, Big Dot" sights that my 67 year old eyes don't handle well. But I suspect that if and when I replace them with some sight set up more in congruence with my eye sight, it will do just as well as the longer snouted guns do.

I have a couple of bullets that work very well in these. Be aware that long-nosed SWC"s don't cut the mustard, but I have an LBT 315-100 that works very well. 11.8-12.2 grains of H-110 seem to cause those boolits to swiftly cluster in nice, small groups.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	011.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	287960
    From left to right,
    311-316 115 grain Gas check--very accurate with AA-9 or H110/296

MP 314-640 100 grain HP--also very accurate. This boolit has the longest nose that will still function in the Single Seven cylinder.

LBT 315-100--Superb. This is the most accurate plain base, cast boolit I have found.

RCBS 32-98 WC--I got pretty good accuracy with Red Dot in powder puff quantities.

Saeco 326(?)--did not work well in my initial testing and I have never got back to it.

The last two don't work in 327 cases if crimped in the crimp groove, they are the Lyman 311-008 and the otherwise excellent RCBS 32-98 SWC. The RCBS runs well with just about any reasonably fast powder in 32 H&R brass. Bullseye, Titegroup, WW-231, Red Dot have all shown promise.

Brian Pearce had excellent results with Power Pistol and Long Shot, but I could not duplicate his results. Power Pistol, in particular I do not recommend.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 09-05-2021 at 11:01 AM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    My Ruger Single Action in 327 has eight chambers in the cylinder… it’s a full sized Blackhawk. I find the 311008 will work OK if you friction seat the bullet on the front driving band instead of using the crimp groove.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    My Ruger Single Action in 327 has eight chambers in the cylinder… it’s a full sized Blackhawk. I find the 311008 will work OK if you friction seat the bullet on the front driving band instead of using the crimp groove.

Froggie
    Is that a custom? I would have thought that a full size Blackhawk would have a long enough cylinder to use almost any normal .30 handgun boolit.

I've got a Single Seven. The only problem I've had is with the cylinder throats that measure .315. Normal cast leaves a little lead in the barrel. I've been meaning to get into powder coat but keep putting it off.

I hope others with more experience than I've got will step in with their findings.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I have a Single-Seven, a Blackhawk in 327 8 shot, and a few of the .32 H&R's as well. (alamogunr,, the Ruger Blackhawk was a production item for a while.)
    My Single-Seven enjoys a Miha bullet,, (which one escapes me at the moment, as I have a few .32 cal ones,) but there were a bunch of Idaho ground squirrels a few years ago that truly hated it!

Many of the Single-Sevens,, are superb shooters,, while the (2) main issues were; (1) early ammo, the brass split,, mostly in the Federal line, and (2) the loading gate opening & alignment was very tight & difficult for many. Both issues have been addressed somewhat. Federal seems to have fixed the brass issue, while Ruger did open up the loading gate area a bit.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Is that a custom? I would have thought that a full size Blackhawk would have a long enough cylinder to use almost any normal .30 handgun boolit.
    Ruger briefly offered the full-sized Blackhawk with an 8 shot cylinder. Not surprisingly, it was not very popular, as it weighed 48 ounces with a 5 1/2 inch barrel, thus giving 32-20 power in a 44 Magnum package.

I have a .327 Single Seven with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. I've only run one box of factory jacketed through it, and found it is very accurate and deserves further trigger time in the future.
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 08-29-2021 at 06:24 PM.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    I've one of the full sized Blackhawk 8 shooters. I didn't think Ruger was going to fit the 327 into there Single Six frame so bought while the Blackhawk was available. If I'd have known I would have waited for the Single Seven. Mine gets the Lyman 311008 crimped into the top grease groove.

Boolit Grand Master
    While I hear folks talking down about the full sized stainless Blackhawk eight shot 327, I don’t see many being sold. It is definitely the stud hoss of 327s and will digest any 327 FM (or shorter) round you stick into it any of its many chambers. Just to prove it could be done, I’ve loaded one cylinder with 32 ACP, 32 S&W, 32 S&WL, 32 H&R, and 327 FM and shot all without problem. Wanna shoot the hottest 32 revolver cartridges you can buy or build? Here’s your huckleberry!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    That 7-1/2" barrel seems like a good choice for the cartridge. A K frame Smith with a 6" pipe would be sweet.

Boolit Grand Master

My own feelings is the single 7 has such a short cylinder, it really chokes it down to the point you may as well have just been shooting a hotrod 32 H&R. That's not a bad thing if that's what you are after, and the single seven obviously gives you a 7th shot. I'm not a huge blackhawk fan, but I'd break out the wallet for a 327 federal blackhawk with a 9 1/2" or 10 1/2" barrel, just for fun. At 5 1/2" barrel, that blackhawk model already doomed itself from the start vs the GP100 offerings in 4.2" and 6", and now 5".

Boolit Buddy
    A Ruger Single Six in 32 H&R on the left and the 8 shot Blackhawk on the right. A bit of difference. The Blackhawk is more of a shooters gun. In a 32 caliber round a Single Six makes a better woods loafer though.

Boolit Buddy
    I think these revolvers are the caterpillar's spats. I find mine comfortable to shoot, accurate--inasmuch as I can manage--pleasantly light to carry, and powerful enough to consistently stop charging beer cans. I was unimpressed by the ill-fitting factory plywood grips, but that is easily remedied.

I chose the pictured bullet using highly scientific criteria--it looks like the Lyman 358156 bullet that I have used for decades in .357 weapons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ruger 327.jpg   32-SWC-ver-2-3-228x228.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master
    I had one of the Large Blackhawk framed guns, but the heavy weight and the short barrel (4 5/8) made it less than desirable. That was a boat anchor, much more steel than the cartridge needed. What I really wanted was a K frame conversion, but that route is too costly nowadays. I could buy two Rugers or a box of primers for that kind of money.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by El Bibliotecario View Post
    I think these revolvers are the caterpillar's spats. I find mine comfortable to shoot, accurate--inasmuch as I can manage--pleasantly light to carry, and powerful enough to consistently stop charging beer cans. I was unimpressed by the ill-fitting factory plywood grips, but that is easily remedied.

I chose the pictured bullet using highly scientific criteria--it looks like the Lyman 358156 bullet that I have used for decades in .357 weapons.
    The choice of a gas checked design was good if you want the velocity the .327 can offer.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    I don't have a Single-7 but have several friends that do... If you want a heavier bullet try the Accurate 31-120S and 135S...both fit in the S7 and don't have to be deep seated.

Have been casting the 120S for several years with AAC-7 powder and getting 1400 fps from a 6.5" barrel. Next time around I plan on switching to AAC-9 and should be able to get 1500... Have shot them from a friend's 7.5" S7 and were very accurate.

Boolit Master
    This one looks pretty nice, except for the price. Lot of cabbage for a plinker.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/905660474
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    That may seem expensive for a "plinker" but for a FA,, and all, it's worth it. And seeing many Rugers go north of $1200 for certain ones,, the price gap is shrinking. The FA's are known to be superbly built, and very accurate. Besides,, the .327 can be more than a plinker. Lots of small to medium game has been taken with that caliber.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    That may seem expensive for a "plinker" but for a FA,, and all, it's worth it. And seeing many Rugers go north of $1200 for certain ones,, the price gap is shrinking. The FA's are known to be superbly built, and very accurate. Besides,, the .327 can be more than a plinker. Lots of small to medium game has been taken with that caliber.
    Oh, I agree and I'd love to have one. But I'd drop $1,500 on a Colt Anaconda first.

Boolit Buddy
    There may actually be some hope for Colt. CZ recently purchased Colt. I'm hoping that it's not just for the US and foreign military contracts/contacts. There (CZ) also building a US manufacturing plant in the south. I'm more optimistic about Colt now than I have been in about the last 35 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast