Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Ida

Boolit Master
    there are pictures here of refineries flaring gas off, I'm no expert but maybe they are up and running

https://www.nola.com/multimedia/phot...714834e.html#4

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    there are pictures here of refineries flaring gas off, I'm no expert but maybe they are up and running

Generally the majority of flaring is during an upset, or off grade product during start-up! Hopefully it’s a start-up, but with the major power outages.....I doubt it! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Grand Master

8/31/2021 ... 6:01 PM ... and the power just came back on ....
    Ida weren't so bad . Trees down but none on house and no flooding .
    Betsy , Camille , Katrina and Gustav were worse ...for me anyway .
    I think I've become addicted to Air Conditioning and lights ...
    ... I realy missed them !
    Lots of Utility trucks & support from Missouri were rolling in Sunday night ...
    Thanks Guys! Appreciate the help ,
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    glad your ok and did not have damage

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Read where some old man was out wading around and stepped on an Alligator, He's gone

Boolit Grand Master
    Story on utube is he went downstairs to check his shed.
    Wife heard noises and went down to see what was going on.
    Alligator had him.
    She beat it off him, helped him to the porch, and went inside to get something.
    When she came back out he was gone.
    Rescue came saw the blood, but couldn't find him.
    Really sad.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Story on utube is he went downstairs to check his shed.
    Wife heard noises and went down to see what was going on.
    Alligator had him.
    She beat it off him, helped him to the porch, and went inside to get something.
    When she came back out he was gone.
    Rescue came saw the blood, but couldn't find him.
    Really sad.
    His people and friends will kill every alligator with-in a mile, You'll never hear that on the news.

Boolit Master

Still here. Good for some, bad for others! LOL No power yet-generator running fridge, freezer, 4 fans and a couple lamps. Have water and LP and no roof damage except where some water came in from chimney flashing. Ida passed within 30 miles of us but fortunately (not so fortunate for folks East) we dodged the worst side. My immediate family lives 80 miles East of us and they pretty much said it mimicked Katrina in some ways. 42%.Baton Rouge power restored so I guess I’m part of 58%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Up here in Maine we're going to show it out of the US and into Canada. Nothing major expected here, some rain. We do get hurricanes but the last one was 3(?) decades ago. Even at that when they get here and into our cold waters lots of the steam is taken out of them.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post

Saw on the news , last night or this morning , units are starting up again and the flares / flaring are part of the process . They shut down from New Orleans to Baton Rouge for the hurricane .
    Something I didn't know ... New Orleans is powered by a Nuclear Power Plant ... they shut it down and had to bring in a huge mobile steam boiler to re-heat the water so they could fire up the reactors... evidently steam is still needed to get things going ... and this steam generator unit was on wheels and was HUGE !... real big anyways ! Of course what I know about generating electricity with a nuclear reactor is between little and none ... and my Dad and three Uncles all worked for the Utility Companies ... they just didn't tell us kids how it all worked .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I finally heard from my cousin that lives a couple miles from Port Vincent, La. He’s expecting to go under water Saturday according to the Amite River stages. It’s predicted that 2+ weeks before they get power back.

As if the Hurricane wasn’t bad enough, he, son, and daughter (all live close to each other) had a tornado clip them. Many trees down, roofs removed from some out buildings, and a brand new Kubota (first note due tomorrow) was in one of the out buildings and had debris hit it.....though, no damage! ☹️ But, no one was hurt, and no major damage......so all is good. memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Master

Well, if that Kubota is a tractor (they make a lot of things) they are going to get some use out of it.

Glad to hear some of you guys way down south are ok. Brother and his family are in Jackson MS area and said couple of inches of rain but nothing else, ex coworker in Port Gibson said he only had rain, stayed east of him. almost no damage not far above baton rouge line than Katrina by far. But you guys in NO gonna have a bad time of it without power for weeks.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I saw a whole line of electric trucks on I95 heading for SC and points west today. All electric companies have agreements to help out. Last big storm here in NC I saw trucks from TN and TX positioned in a WalMart
    Crews from Xcel Energy in MN are even on the way. Lineman who fixes stuff around me is going down. He called and told me he would come search that noisy insulator that is causing radio interference when they get done down south in 2-3 weeks... told him no worries, that is a priority!

Boolit Master
    Bunch of Hispanics flooding into Lafayette with 500 gallon tote tanks, Yep you guessed it, Hauling fuel back south.
    Better go fill up ! One guy I talked to was out of N.O's

Edit,Seems the LSPolice are now stopping these trucks transporting 500 gallon tote tanks and confiscation the fuel.

Something about hazardous labels or lack of, MSDS sheets or lack of. I'm sure there are other rules of the road going on?

I say good for the LSPolice
    Last edited by Gator 45/70; 09-02-2021 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Well, if that Kubota is a tractor (they make a lot of things) they are going to get some use out of it.

It is....they have! memtb

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Master

Hurricane Ida

Power came back on a couple days ago. I’ve come to the conclusion that electricity isn’t really a utility-It’s a convenience.

Nonetheless, my Storm Responder got pretty good mileage. Get around 16 hours for each 5 gallons of fuel. I had a Porter Cable that went 20 hours. Both were 5500/8250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dieselhorses; 09-05-2021 at 12:42 AM.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master
    Nephew in Houma got power about 21 hrs ago, We went down and checked on the other old folks.
    It's pitiful how some are living, We passed thru probably 12 traffic lights, Non working
    Nothing but blue tarps, From Morgan city down Hwy 90,Cases of bottled water that's fallen off trucks.
    Good news is people all over are bringing in food, Cajun food and feeding locals all the way up to Nat Guardsmen stationed all over.
    They gonna make it !
    Todays next big adventure, Heading to LSU Vet school in B.R.
    We suspect my Lab has cancer in her upper pallet
    I'm bringing her in for evaluation and possible treatment/operation?
    I'm about adventured out,But we will never quit !

Vendor Sponsor

Friends in Hammond posted yesterday they got their lights on, only took 9 bucket trucks. Her whole yard was full of crews working at height. God bless those linemen and keep them safe!!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Friends in Hammond posted yesterday they got their lights on, only took 9 bucket trucks. Her whole yard was full of crews working at height. God bless those linemen and keep them safe!!
    AMEN Brother ...
    AMEN and God Bless each and every one of those workers .

More power poles were brought down than in hurricanes Katrina , Ike , Delta and Zeta combined .
    ...30,679 utility poles and 36,469 spans of utility wires were taken down...that's a LOT of damage .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast