Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Ida

Boolit Master
    I had a propane 22kw Generac generator put in after hurricane Barry hit Louisiana.Checked everything and ran it for a couple minutes this afternoon. So should be ready to go should we loose power. Will get up early Sunday and pull the gratings over the drain line that runs in front of the garage. Always clean it out before a storm. Will see how the wife's new grass blower works. Everyone any where near this hurricane stay safe. Frank

Vendor Sponsor

There are a couple of things that make the difference in how bad a storm will be. Wind speed is one, but more important than that is the barometric pressure. The lower the pressure, the higher the storm surge. Water will "hill up" under a low pressure area and it's this hill of water that gets pushed in front of the storm that does the most damage.

Camille was 905millibars with a 28' storm surge which is super serious. Katrina by comparison recorded 902mb of pressure and a 30' storm surge.

Only 3 or 4 more storms in history have recorded lower barometric pressure, Wilma in 2005 was 882mb, Gilbert in 1988 was 888mb. If you look at the Wikipedia history the majority of hurricanes make landfall with pressure in the 930-960mb range, with the Cat5 storms recording the lower pressures.

Camille shook up the bridge across Biloxi Bay, it rearranged 150,000lb precast concrete road sections like lining up dominoes on a cookie sheet and putting it on a paint shaker and hitting the switch. Camille came ashore with 190mph sustained winds and a 28' storm surge. Katrina was only a Cat3 when it came ashore, but Katrina's 30' storm surge took those same 150,000lb sections completely off their pilings and tossed them into the bay. You cannot begin to estimate the damage potential of a hurricane by just the wind speed since the wind does the least amount of damage.

Where Katrina made landfall actually strengthened the storm surge because the gulf is pretty shallow out beyond the shoreline a good ways so this shelf is one of the major factors that caused the storm surge to be so high when wind speed was only that of a Cat3. The fact that it was only forecast as Cat3 is why most people who stayed, elected to stay. No one thought it was going to be so bad, but in the last hours before it made landfall, the rapidly rising storm surge completely caught forecasters by surprise, and by then it was too late to evacuate.

I am hoping and praying that this storm does not take the same path that Katrina did, because if it comes across the shelf with pressure below 925mb and dropping, there will be very high storm surge.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 08-29-2021 at 12:01 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

I was out of my house for 4 weeks after Rita, everyone seems to forget it, due to Katrina. Sat out Ike, no electricity for 2 weeks. Better prepared now for these things. Thoughts and prayers for you in Louisiana. Hope everything goes good for you. Good luck.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Stay safe Neighbors!

Boolit Master

Hurricane Ida has strengthened beyond what forecaster imagined overnight and is now a CAT 4 storm and close to being a CAT 5 with 150 mph sustained winds.

This is going to be awful.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    gotta dedicate this Sunday morning prayers to those in Louisiana , they are getting slammed with this monster storm which will definitely cause much devastation
    and destruction.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    There are a couple of things that make the difference in how bad a storm will be. Wind speed is one, but more important than that is the barometric pressure. The lower the pressure, the higher the storm surge. Water will "hill up" under a low pressure area and it's this hill of water that gets pushed in front of the storm that does the most damage.

Camille was 905millibars with a 28' storm surge which is super serious. Katrina by comparison recorded 902mb of pressure and a 30' storm surge.

Only 3 or 4 more storms in history have recorded lower barometric pressure, Wilma in 2005 was 882mb, Gilbert in 1988 was 888mb. If you look at the Wikipedia history the majority of hurricanes make landfall with pressure in the 930-960mb range, with the Cat5 storms recording the lower pressures.
    Where do you find the current barometric pressure of a storm?
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Where do you find the current barometric pressure of a storm?
    Looks like it is 933 mb. So, hopefully not as bad of a storm surge, correct?

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Looks like the boys house will take a hit in Denham

Vendor Sponsor

Looks like it is 933 mb. So, hopefully not as bad of a storm surge, correct?
    No this will be quite bad. it is getting toward the lower numbers more associated with a Cat5 storm.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

we'll see-thanks for the prayers!
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    we'll see-thanks for the prayers!
    I really hope you're not still there! Highest winds I've been in were around 80 mph during a typhoon in Japan a couple of years ago. That was bad enough. We're talking twice that with this storm. Even if you are above flood stage, the winds will be devastating. Seriously hope you evacuated!

Vendor Sponsor

Ida made landfall at 12:55pm near Port Fourchon Louisiana. Winds were 150 and pressure was 930mb which is VERY fortunate that it didn't strengthen any more before coming ashore. Wind speed 5mph short of a Cat5. Barometric pressure about equal to some of the more severe Cat5 storms, but nowhere near as low as Camille or Katrina. Maybe the storm surge will stay under 20' and much will be spared compared to what could have been.

Sad to say, but with the supply chain already severely compromised due to Covid (bottled water shortage here in Idaho???) and an administration that repeatedly makes the absolutely worst decisions in everything, this could be extremely bad for that region.

Could be seeing third-world living conditions for months in that region, with fuel prices over $5 a gallon nationwide.

My company produces electrical grid components, so we will be working overtime here shortly to replace all the equipment that is about to be destroyed.

I worked claims for USAA for a few years and handled a bunch of claims for Hurricane Gustav in 2008. Absolutely shocking just how devastating these storms can be. So sad to see folks have their lives destroyed in a matter of hours.

I remember talking to an independent property adjuster who had been in the area since Katrina in 2005. He said that storm was just unimaginable. This guy was in his 40's and said he was about to retire after living in an RV handling claims for three years from Katrina.
    That wouldn't be SEL would it?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by alfadan View Post
    That wouldn't be SEL would it?
    I would never work for such a horrible company...

Banned

I grew up in hurricane country, though we were 60 miles or so inland so didn't get the worst of it. I live in tornado alley now, folks back home questioned how I could live with the tornado danger, but if you're in a hurricane zone, it's not a question of "if" it's a question of "when".

Good luck to everybody down that way.

Boolit Master
    folks are gonna need help if you can donate to favorite reputable charity.
    trust me you just dont know what its like to have everything in your life torn apart till it happens to you. its easy to comment or judge from 30000 feet but when you live through such devastation is something completely different.
    looks like its headed right up refinery row where marathon and Exxon and a dozen other refineries are.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    folks are gonna need help if you can donate to favorite reputable charity.
    trust me you just dont know what its like to have everything in your life torn apart till it happens to you. its easy to comment or judge from 30000 feet but when you live through such devastation is something completely different.
    looks like its headed right up refinery row where marathon and Exxon and a dozen other refineries are.
    Rodger that, I can't confirm right now so just a rumor that the Shell Mars has broken loose in the Gulf, Like I said rumors are flying here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    Rodger that, I can't confirm right now so just a rumor that the Shell Mars has broken loose in the Gulf, Like I said rumors are flying here.
    It's true from what I saw
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Well I just lost power , still no rain but this wind is kicking
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast