Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder and primer storage.

Powder and primer storage.

My wife and I have sold are house,we are going to go traveling in are rv for a couple years. My question is I have a large stock pile of powder and primers I have acquired over the past few years. We are going to store all are belongings in a couple of storage units. What are your suggestions on storing my powder and primers?
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won’t tolerate it.
    Captain Call

Boolit Master
    Old Refrigerator with magnetic door seals is my first choice, ice chest would be next.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy
    I was given an old gun safe...not lined, with a key lock on the bottom. I put some magnets at the top and side to keep the door closed but also allow to open before any pressure builds up. If you can get one, old fridges work great, or separate into smaller batches and use old coolers(goodwill is a good place to look.......always keep blackpowder outside of the house if possible...IE shed, unattached garage or other outbuildings when possible. Fire extinguisher handy too.)
    Or you could let me babysit it and I could test it some to ensure it's still good
    Todd
    Last edited by echo154; 08-28-2021 at 05:57 AM.
    Do I have a knife....Ive got my pants on don't I.

Boolit Master

some of the storage units have power, or you can put an adaptor in the light socket and use a small working refrigerator. will keep them at an even temp and if it breaks you still got some protection from heat.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Around us most storage places offer climate controlled units. We don’t worry much about too cold. I’ve never seen a unit that was really cool, most are in the 75 - 76 degree range which should be ok. Units with exterior entrance doors and inside units along the perimeter walls of the building are not as cool as climate controlled units that don’t abut exterior walls. One with a fire suppression system is also a plus. Your state or municipality probably has minimum codes for storage cabinets and maximum storable amounts. Ours is 28 pounds smokeless powder in a one inch thick wood cabinet that will not contain pressure. A one hour rated fireproof insulated metal non-pressure-able container is acceptable to them.
    Lastly read the fine print on any storage unit lease. Some specifically forbid storage of fuel, powder or chemicals.

Boolit Grand Master

Lock your unit, lock the safe or fridge then put a logging chain and hardened lock on that. If someone wants to steal it make them take the entire thing
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

LOL! Moving heavy things is only difficult if you care about the things around it. That chain would just be a convenient place to attach theirs.

An old refrigerator in a storage unit with the door turned to the wall might not get opened. One with a lock, a chain and another lock is definitely going with the thieves.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Thanks for the advice,Storage unit I have is non insulated, and can get fairly warm in Oklahoma and humidity is a problem. I like the old ice box idea. Would a old chest freeze work I think I have one at the ranch? I have thought of keeping my powder and primers in my son shop at the ranch they would be safer there in a old ice box or freezer.One more question I have a large collection of molds probably half steel half brass, should in prep my molds for long term storage?
    Captain Call

Boolit Grand Master

A dry box with a few desiccant packs and VCI paper would be my choice for long term mold storage.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

For the molds, I would just grease them up with a good grease and worry about cleaning them real well when you are ready to use them again. May want to try and find some good sealing ammo cans.

On the powder and primers are you worried about deterioration or theft?
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I am really just worried about moisture with the humidity we have in Oklahoma.i would hate to lose my primers and powder. I will use the information on the molds that was posted. I’m going to find a old ice box and store them in my sons shop should I put desiccant packs in the ice box?
    Captain Call

Boolit Grand Master

Humidity is not a problem for powder and primers - heat is. If you control for heat you probably have already controlled for humidity anyway.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I keep my primers in a sealed "pelican" type box with desiccant packets. I keep my "overstock" powder containers in a large plastic storage box in the air conditioned house near an exit. The other powder jars are in the work/reloading room. When i eventually get a shop outside, it will be air conditioned/dehumidified and i will keep all of it there.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtdgger View Post
    I have sold are house,we are going to go traveling in are rv for a couple years.
    If I did this ^^^
    I'd sell all the powder, primers, molds, reloading equipment and most of the guns (gotta keep a couple guns,IMHO).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Definitely add a lot of desiccant packs. They also have big sized chemical dehumidifiers, that are basically the same thing. Check boating supply stores. People use them to keep the inside of boats dry to combat mildew.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Definitely add a lot of desiccant packs. They also have big sized chemical dehumidifiers, that are basically the same thing. Check boating supply stores. People use them to keep the inside of boats dry to combat mildew.
    They are also sold for gun safes. Or, just run chemical dehumidifier on Amazon.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Lock & lock totes?

Boolit Master
    Might throw a couple true GI ammo cans on the list for storage as well…

Boolit Master
    If you care, the storage unit contract will probably prohibit storage of flammables or explosives.

An air conditioned out building or a root cellar separate from the house would be best.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Son's shop sounds far better IMO. ?Storage units have bad theft issues too often...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast