WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your best load recipies

Boolit Buddy

Your best load recipies

Can those of you that are willing.....I know some loads require a blood oath!, please share your favorite PP loads. Please state rifle, caliber, bore/groove/cartridge and bullet...moy trying to copy just trying to narrow the vast plethora o info to help those of use just off of moms nipple!
    Do I have a knife....Ive got my pants on don't I.

Boolit Mold
    pedersoli sharps. 45-100, .450/.458/.460. DDPP cast from 16+1lb of 95-5. fed210m, .060 poly wad, bullet seated .086 in case, 108.5gr Swiss 1.5f

Pedersoli Sharps 45-90 Baco 446535 wrapped to .452 then sized to just over .450 20-1 CCI BR2 primer 92 gr OE 1.5, 1 .060 polly 2 newspaper, seated .12 in case

Dave
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
    --Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

C. Sharps 50-2 1/2, 605 grain as cast bullet from accurate molds. 100 or 94 grains of grafs 1f powder .060 wad and CCI military large rifle primer. I shot this at 300 meters using barrel sights and cross sticks. Not great but I had a lot of fun shooting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FC6B24E4-913B-464E-84E3-6CF9F6028D33.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	287967

Name:	8B9DF4BC-96B4-4DBC-B326-EC0F2352B714.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	287968

I have a rifle I had CPA build a few years ago with my tight chamber reamer, (PP only) that I seldom shoot but I will start using it more in the coming season. I had it build for the Silhouette and Mid Range matches. It has been a very reliable consistent shooter.

I shot this group at 600 yards during practice. I wanted to shoot a 10 shot group and the I made one sight change that put the last 3 on top of each other.

Name:	IMG_2959.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	287973

Boolit Buddy
    WOW guys/gals.....I see I have a lot of learning. Great shooting. My GG groups were just getting to three at 100. But I I am really getting the PP bug and getting stuff ready as well as "vacuuming" all I can from these pages! God Bless!

Well looks like were in the same state, come on up and Join me making smoke.
    https://www.tcgc.net

Boolit Buddy
    Where exactly is it ......I am a ...Timmid shooter I like to shoot in "secret " not matches and am just starting to dabble. I look to great geantnas of yourself to meet but am in no way of the calibre of matches!

https://www.tcgc.net/map-to-tcgc/

It's about 12-13 miles north of Sterling and about the same from Dixon IL.

You might be surprised what your caliber is for a match. And there are a lot of friendly hands that will help.

Banned

As with most firearms, it's what the gun likes, therefore there can't be a "universal best load". Load development is a personal thing. Knowing someone's load data ain't gonna help you or me much. What can be shared, what might be of helpful interest is HOW a load takes place - the components, the tools, the process - and apply that to whatever load development yer undertaking.

rfd is correct,
    I have two .40-65's and the other will not shoot that group with that same load, close but not the same.
    To get a load for your rifle you will have to do the work.

A good way to start is with low compression with what ever powder you have with the bullet you chose and work up. Most generally low compression works very well.
    Yes this will send rounds down range but this is also good for learning to control the rifle. Trigger time also improves accuracy.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys, was just looking for starters, not end of the line, top loads.....I have sent 1000's of rnds DR, but with smokeless and an M-40a3 with REALLY good glass. The Vernier and BP are my virgin.......as are the double sets. I have an M1A match and a Scout. One loves the military 172gr LRM the other the 168gr Fed Match, but they are close.....my only BP experience is with GG based on loads in the SPG primer. 3"-4" at 100 are kinda dismal, and I went so far as to chamber cast and send my rifle back as the lead was not even! I love load development, just don't have the money for all of the powder, primers...etc now that I'm on a fixed income....LE's don't have the best pensions. I have acquired 5 lbs of Swiss 1.5 and 2 as well as brass and paper.......selling off a lot of my other toys as my range access is limited now and my interest differ as a retiree.
    Last edited by echo154; 09-14-2021 at 10:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Hmmm @Echo154 bold on the forum?! Good luck and God bless.
    43 Mauser .433 bore 4 wraps .0025 invoice paper. 73 grains 1fg schuetzen. 1/8 lube cookie 2 milk carton wads. Tight enough in sized case to .446. Good group

Boolit Buddy

Here is a 10 shot 200 yard group that I shot with my Shiloh 16 twist 45-70. .445 elliptical bullet that is 1.51” long. Weighs 536 grains with my 14:1 alloy. 79 grains of Swiss 2F and federal large pistol match primer. Bullet is patched to .450 with the Seth cole 55w which is what the bore diameter is on this rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Beautiful group Ian! I’m starting to believe the 16 twist is the way to go. Also, a 200 yard group like this is testimony to the shooters skill! Nice shooting!
    Jim

Ian, that should do well at the upcoming Friendship or are you going to use the .38-50?

Kurt

Boolit Buddy
    I used the 38 at friendship last weekend. It shot very well on Saturday but I did ring 2 rams with it. Sunday wasn’t as good but I was trying different alloys and different neck tensions. I will be using the 38 for sillywets until the nationals. I am going to be using this load and Shiloh at the Creedmoor match in Oar Ridge Tennessee this weekend though. Fingers crossed.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JKR View Post
    Beautiful group Ian! I’m starting to believe the 16 twist is the way to go. Also, a 200 yard group like this is testimony to the shooters skill! Nice shooting!
    Jim
    I have been beat by a lot of 18 twist rifles. As long as the length is right I think they are fine too.

I think for the .38 I wouldn't go any harder than 16 for the silhouettes. I feel the harder alloys fragment too fast to hold the bullet weight on impact.
    This is just my speculation that I don't like using. But I see larger buttons on the ground with the soft alloys.
    We have an iron swingers on our range and judging on how far that swinger rocks with different alloys, I see more action with the softer alloy hitting the swingers low on the bottom.
    Someday I might build a swinger and set it up in my yard that has spring loaded pins that will hold the plate at maximum swing so I can get a measurement just how far that plate swings using different alloys.

Boolit Buddy
    Saturday I was shooting 20:1. It shot great. It is a grease groove money bullet that is 1.485” long and has 2 reduced bands and weighs 360 grains. We had some head winds going on when I rang the 2 rams. I was spotting for a fella who was using a 45-100 and even some of his went over very slowly. Some people had rams falling forwards also. Even with the 2 rang rams we managed a score of 30 with 5 chickens so I am happy with that. That is the highest score I have ever gotten with a grease groove bullet. Sunday I tried some alloy that I thought might work. It was 50/50 pure lead and wheel weights with 2% tin added. I hit 6 turkeys with it and thought my misses were from the conditions. Well in between relays I spent a while getting lead out of it. Next relay was rams and I used what I had left of Saturday’s ammo which was 20:1 and no neck tension. Again it was great. 9 rams. Used ammo with neck tension for the next 2 relays and had some vertical stringing. Missed 2 pigs which isn’t good but we have match second weekend of April down in the state of Kentucky. I’ll give the 20:1 and no neck tension another go and hopefull verify this load.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast