Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MP Molds - One Word - Wow!

Boolit Buddy

MP Molds - One Word - Wow!

I just received my new MP Molds I ordered last week. Wow! These things are freakin beautiful, and heavy! They’re works of machining art!

Can’t wait to get them cleaned up and dropping bullets.

Boolit Grand Master

Yup, I learned that years ago. Warning, they do tend to multiply!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    And they are heavy. I've got one of his .45 HP molds, and it's the only mold I have where I feel it in my forearms the next day. But it makes beautiful bullets.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Yup, I learned that years ago. Warning, they do tend to multiply!
    I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my Lee molds for the last 10 years, but there’s no comparison.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmattes View Post
    And they are heavy. I've got one of his .45 HP molds, and it's the only mold I have where I feel it in my forearms the next day. But it makes beautiful bullets.

Yes, that’s the first thing I noticed, how heavy the box was. The steel sprue plate would add a bit of weight, but the base material must be a lot more dense than the base metal Lee uses.

Boolit Master
    Mine is brass, and it's the only MP mold I have. I'm signed up for a couple group buys, whenever he gets around to those. I don't have any of his aluminum ones, though, so I don't know how heavy they are.

Also, excellent customer service from Miha, even when you buy his molds used he'll help you out. Lee and RCBS will make something right if they screwed up, but he'll go out of his way to help even if you're the one who screwed up. Just email him and recognize that there's a significant time zone difference.

Can't say enough good things about MP molds. I could complain that he's slow to produce them, but he's just a guy, not a massive company with a dedicated group of machinists employed like Lee and RCBS, so I'm certain he's making them as fast as he possibly can without sacrificing quality.

Boolit Grand Master

The pictures that I have seen look great! I know my Accurate molds are a thing of beauty.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    The pictures that I have seen look great! I know my Accurate molds are a thing of beauty.
    I might have to try one of his, just for the sake of comparison.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Which one did you get?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The custom mold makers we have available to us now are all top notch in my opinion.

Lee’s are nice for a cheap way to get into a caliber or design but they can’t hold a candle to a quality custom.

Al’s molds at NOE are good quality aluminum but the tilting pins aren’t for everyone. I have one of his and his attention to detail and customer service is phenomenal.

MIha’s craftsmanship is amazing and every new addition I am amazed at the quality and say “ now I have enough”…till another GB pops up that intrigues me.

Nothing compares to a classic Hensley and Gibbs though in my opinion. I have a couple of designs where I am fortunate enough to have it in a H&G and a MP and as much as I love MP brass, nothing beats iron molds in my opinion.

Really want to try one of Tom at Accurate’s iron molds to compare but haven’t found one used and haven’t pulled the trigger () on an order yet. Too many options I get into buyer paralysis.

As with many things though, you always get what you pay for in quality.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    Which one did you get?
    I got the 8 cav .357-125

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RydForLyf View Post
    I got the 8 cav .357-125
    They are more substantial than the lee 6 cavity and I think the steel sprue plates help with base fillout. That's on top of better machining.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBach View Post
    The custom mold makers we have available to us now are all top notch in my opinion.

Lee’s are nice for a cheap way to get into a caliber or design but they can’t hold a candle to a quality custom.

Al’s molds at NOE are good quality aluminum but the tilting pins aren’t for everyone. I have one of his and his attention to detail and customer service is phenomenal.

MIha’s craftsmanship is amazing and every new addition I am amazed at the quality and say “ now I have enough”…till another GB pops up that intrigues me.

Nothing compares to a classic Hensley and Gibbs though in my opinion. I have a couple of designs where I am fortunate enough to have it in a H&G and a MP and as much as I love MP brass, nothing beats iron molds in my opinion.

Really want to try one of Tom at Accurate’s iron molds to compare but haven’t found one used and haven’t pulled the trigger () on an order yet. Too many options I get into buyer paralysis.

As with many things though, you always get what you pay for in quality.
    Good luck finding a used Accurate mold. I would'nt sell one of mine for love nor money. People who have one usually bought it for a speciall reason, not to say that they are not out there but at the price of a new one and getting exactly what you want, they are an absolute steal of a deal IMHO. As I have said before, we are living in the golden age of boolit molds thanks to our custom mold makers.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmattes View Post
    Mine is brass, and it's the only MP mold I have. I'm signed up for a couple group buys, whenever he gets around to those. I don't have any of his aluminum ones, though, so I don't know how heavy they are.

Also, excellent customer service from Miha, even when you buy his molds used he'll help you out. Lee and RCBS will make something right if they screwed up, but he'll go out of his way to help even if you're the one who screwed up. Just email him and recognize that there's a significant time zone difference.

Can't say enough good things about MP molds. I could complain that he's slow to produce them, but he's just a guy, not a massive company with a dedicated group of machinists employed like Lee and RCBS, so I'm certain he's making them as fast as he possibly can without sacrificing quality.

Those of us who have been around a while remember when Mia was a machinist working for a company and got permission to use the equipment on weekends to make molds! My how things have changed! The only thing slow about Mia Previc is international shipping.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Those of us who have been around a while remember when Mia was a machinist working for a company and got permission to use the equipment on weekends to make molds! My how things have changed! The only thing slow about Mia Previc is international shipping.
    I'll have to disagree with your point about any shipping issues and I know others on this site would confirm the same. I placed my order on Tuesday 8/24 and I had the box in my hand on Friday afternoon, 8/27. That's blazing fast, especially coming from Slovenia.

Quote Originally Posted by RydForLyf View Post
    I'll have to disagree with your point about any shipping issues and I know others on this site would confirm the same. I placed my order on Tuesday 8/24 and I had the box in my hand on Friday afternoon, 8/27. That's blazing fast, especially coming from Slovenia.
    Same. I’ve ordered Amazon items that took longer. I was really surprised. I ordered a MP 462-420 Hollow point mold and a 9mm/38, 147-154, Bevel base, Hollow point. Both amazing, and showed up in a couple days. When I was overseas I couldn’t send stuff home to my wife as fast as he got those through customs. I don’t know who he’s paying to expedite customs, but it’s working.

May Liberty Increase!
    I love my MP molds, and I have several; mostly 4 cav brass HP, but a few solids and one aluminum 8 cavity. NOE makes a fine mold, as well; though I haven’t tried any of his HP molds. That said, I’ll second the H&G comment. I thought folks were exaggerating the quality of H&Gs. They were not. Mr. George knew how to make a mold and I’m honored to be using some that were produced in the 40s. I don’t mean to take away from the Gibbs, but having used an original George Hensley (prior to the Gibbs partnership), I am certain Mr. George was an amazing mold maker.

And if you think an 8 cav MP is heavy, sling an 8 cav H&G non-potbelly gang mold. That’ll put forearms and traps on ya! Just be sure to swap sides some so you don’t end up with muscles disproportionate from side to side. ��

I agree this is a golden era for molds! I’m grateful for the variety and quality available at unbelievably reasonable prices.

I do have a few Lee molds too, they have their place.

Like triggers, you only know the best one you’ve ever used.

Congrats on your new mold and I wish you much happiness in your use of it.

Boolit Master
    MP makes beautiful molds, top-notch in every aspect.
    The current “problem” with MP (NOE also) is that they have very little stock. MP’s issues get a little worse because of a site that seems to make navigating a chore, and it often seems outdated relating to the inventory on hand.

I’m hoping Mia is healthy, because it seems the site and inventory have been somewhat in limbo for a little while now.
    “It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.”.... Mark Twain

Yes, those MP's sure are things of beauty! They cast as well as they look also.
    But to be fair, I also have molds from Accurate and NOE. They also are top notch. I recon that those 3 brands are about the best that money can buy, and once you have them to work with...you are spoilt brother.....so be warned!!!

Boolit Master
    Mp molds, I got into his site once a few weeks ago. Very few molds in stock and none in the size or shape I was looking for. Also I couldn’t find an area where a mold of the size and shape I want could be ordered.
    For the last few days I just get “server stopped responding” message.