Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: Advice on a New Scope

Advice on a New Scope

I have a Gamo Swarm Fusion gen II with the Gamo 3x9x40 on it, but with tired eyes I am thinking about trying a 4x12x40 or a 6x24x40, the distance I shoot will only be about 30 to 50 yds , what do you suggest
    Thanks copdills

24X is certainly too much magnification for a 40mm objective, you will notice darkening of the image past about 16X.... I use a 3-12X for hunting gophers out to 100 yd.... The only time I use more magnification is for 100 yard shooting from a bench, where I like a 4-16 x 50, or a 6-18 x 50.... the bigger objective giving a much brighter image with greater contrast at maximum magnification....

Bob

Boolit Grand Master
    I recently bought an Aztec 3-18x50 from a forum member for my PCP rifle. It is rated for springers as well. It is an excellent scope but not cheap...the good ones will not be.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/sco...3-18x50-scope/

BTW, at 30 yards it is most likely your issues are not with magnification but with clarity and light gathering. I doubt you can buy much for less than $200 that will help you if you want more than 12X of magnification.

A springer will destroy a normal rifle scope. Be sure whatever you purchase is designed for use on a springer.

One option is to hit some of the Airgun forums and check their for sale sections. Nothing wrong with buying used as most have transferable warranties.
    Don Verna

Thanks , all the information you both gave , give me a better understanding of what I need
    Thank you
    copdills

Moderator Emeritus

I purchased a Sig Nitro air rifle a while back which came with one of their Whisky 3 Scopes. To say I was super-elated might be quite the understatement! Soooo impressed and happy I was with the scope I purchased two more of them for other airguns, including a Marauder Air Pistol (with convertible stock on it). Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sig scope.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	287933
    To say they work well for me would again be quite the understatement, too.
    geo
    P.S.: dverna -- post #3 -- makes a very astute remark, with
    "A springer will destroy a normal rifle scope. Be sure whatever you purchase is designed for use on a springer."

Boolit Bub
    With that short of a distance, how about a red-dot? Simple to aim and shoot.

Boolit Buddy
    Wonder what a "springer" would do to a red dot??

Boolit Master
    After a lot of research I just ordered a Hawke Vantage 3-9x40. They are a UK company the scopes are made in China but they have a lifetime warranty. They are designed for airguns as well as regular rifles.

What your looking for is in the $200 price range https://www.pyramydair.com/product/h...-etched?a=5048
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 08-30-2021 at 06:47 AM.

Boolit Master

I went with a used Leupold, even text'd with Leupy about my intended use and was told no problem.

Thank you for the information

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    After a lot of research I just ordered a Hawke Vantage 3-9x40. They are a UK company the scopes are made in China but they have a lifetime warranty. They are designed for airguns as well as regular rifles.

What your looking for is in the $200 price range https://www.pyramydair.com/product/h...-etched?a=5048
    That 3x9 Hawke is the same scope I have on my Weirauch 95, you're gonna' like it!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown