Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Obsolete

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    That's pretty incredible. In 10 years of being a range officer, I've never seen even a single Les Baer make it through a match without a jam. Everyone tells me about these magical reliable Les Baers, but I've never seen one.
    I had a premier II and it was perfectly reliable. But the darn front serations were so sharp it was chewing up my holster. I sold it and started using a Glock 34 which I immediately did well with.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master

I have a question, and I ask it as a long-time 1911 fan. It's about my own preconceived notions about reliability. I'm by no means an expert, as I've really only shot a handful of 1911s over the decades, and only owned a few of my own. I've tinkered over the years off and on with making my own guns reliable and accurate, and read untold articles about gunsmithing to make 1911s feed and function better.

So, my assumption is that as good as the 1911 is, they can be made to be very reliable, but most more modern guns like Glocks typically come off the assembly line quite reliable already. As much as we all like the venerable 1911, more modern designs are "better" from a purely practical standpoint, in regards to reliability and durability. I say this as a die-hard 1911 fan. Am I wrong?

This reminds me of the idiots that said the 30 30 is also obsolete.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    I have a question, and I ask it as a long-time 1911 fan. It's about my own preconceived notions about reliability. I'm by no means an expert, as I've really only shot a handful of 1911s over the decades, and only owned a few of my own. I've tinkered over the years off and on with making my own guns reliable and accurate, and read untold articles about gunsmithing to make 1911s feed and function better.

So, my assumption is that as good as the 1911 is, they can be made to be very reliable, but most more modern guns like Glocks typically come off the assembly line quite reliable already. As much as we all like the venerable 1911, more modern designs are "better" from a purely practical standpoint, in regards to reliability and durability. I say this as a die-hard 1911 fan. Am I wrong?
    I have had the pleasure of shooting some 1914 thru 1920 1911's that were in excellent conditions and appeared to have never been reworked. They functioned 100% with GI ball. On the other end of the spectrum I have fired worn out Army issues 1911's that were 50K or 100K past their prime. They were jam-o-matics. Same for a lot of the home built parts guns common in the 60's - 90's. Even the 70 Colts had issues. That was not a design problem. That was a 100% a tolerancing problem.

You do see some of the same issues with some of the Glock after market parts.

For SOME application the 1911's are still state of the art. The CZ 75 may be arguably equal or superior for some of the race gun application.

When the competitors have to pay for there own equipment the 1911 still is top of the list. Are other designs superior for some applicates. Yes, however, very few (if any) of the current designs will do as many things as well as the 1911's does across the board.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I have shot many thousands of 200 gr. swc reloads through a couple 1911's and they never let me down in matches. I did find that I could draw faster with the Glock 34 because it was not as heavy. I don't think the 1911 is obsolete. But I prefer a high cap polymer 9mm for a battle gun, not that I'll ever use one that way hopefully.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master

One of the 1911's major assets - it can be built up as a target gun - is also it's greatest curse. There has been so much messing with it's tolerances, spring rates, and magazines over the years to make it perform this way or that, that the lines have become blurred as to what belongs on the "combat gun" and what doesn't.

Perhaps the only nod to modernity that Browning's basic mechanical blueprint needs is the very slight widening of the feed ramp commonly seen to accommodate hollow points - but then again, I've made a basic GI gun run reliably - if somewhat roughly - with Elmer Keith's barrel-shaped 453432, AND it ran best on them with GI-style, tapering feed lip magazines. Really, if I've learned one thing about the design over the years, it's that you alter John's specs at your peril. Don't build it cheap, build it right, and bring an operator with a little understanding of what's going on inside, and it'll run as well or better than most.

(Much the same can be said of the Glock and the AR-15 - both of which having been successful enough and around long enough to have a plethora of aftermarket gadgets available for them, or Brand X clones. If someone brings me one that isn't working, I go straight to looking for aftermarket gadgets, or manufacture/assembly by the clueless, and very often find them)
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Along with what Shawlerbrook said. If I'm armed with a Winchester 94 30-30 and a 1911 .45 ACP- I would be confident that I could solve most problems that guns can solve.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Something to consider, When the machine vendors came in the shop, Every saw they had was just as good as a doall. But I never heard the Doall vendors say just as good as them.

The 1911 is accurate easy to learn shoots easy and in some calibers light recoil. Set up by a competent smith they can be amazingly accurate.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    I have a cop friend that likes to say " the 1911 is like a Glock....but for men "

I lay claim to have invented that saying back in 2014 after a friendly argument with a friend, and I made a quick meme to rub it in:

I later did another one to counter accusations that the 1911 is a jamammatic, which traveled a bit:

My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master
    Everything today is a ruse to get people to divide. Don't fall for it in any venue.

Boolit Master

first centerfire pistol I ever shot was a colt 1911 US Army issue in 1970 and was totally impressed with the pistol and what it could do. If it didn't rattle like a bunch of marbles in a tin can it worked just fine.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master

I'm smart enough to not wade into the 1911 debate. I have one, and it is a range toy. I love shooting it.

That said, love HRFunk's videos. I am very jealous as his delivery is clear, concise, and polished. His videos are well edited and easy to watch with lots of great info and perspective. As someone who is playing around with making my own videos, I can appreciate just how great of a job he is doing.

My videos look like your drunk uncle who still drives a Town Car and is on the verge of a heart attack that has had a six pack and decided to video himself shooting. HR's videos are wonderful.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

I was invited up to deer camp by a friend of a friend. A group of guys I didn't really know well. I'm a social guy and like to meet new people and they had a nice cabin in a good location. So I thought, why not? Well, I found myself surround by a group of guys best described as "Fudds" If you know what I mean. I had a 1911 with me and the subject quickly went to it being obsolete. Too heavy, too slow, and the wonder 9 shoots twice as fast and is better in every way blah, blah, blah.
    The camp firearms expert continued to dwell on the .45 being too big and slow to be effective and was one step up from throwing rocks.... To the edge of irritating me. After trying to explain the design parameters of this particular combat handgun, and it's long history of successful service, only to fall on deaf ears.
    I finally said "OK, tell you what. if you think it's so slow, let's go out to the meadow, and you stand out about 75 yards, which is about 3 times farther than I said it was deigned for. I'll shoot at you, and when to see the puff of smoke, or hear the report, DUCK!. He declined my offer with the doe in the headlights look. (Not that I would have really gone through with the challenge), I used my best Poker face, and it ended the discussion for the rest of the weekend. There were however, other gun related discussions that took place that just made me want to roll my eyes over and I kept my opinions to myself.
    I never hunted with those guys again.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master

Excellent video.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master

I got a Stainless Steel 1911 AMT Hardballer sitting next to me right now ...
    Perfect for the heat, humidity , hurricanes and power outages we are experiences in Louisiana right now .
    No one steals your generator or gas when looking down the 45 cal. barrel of a 1911 ...
    ... a 1911 , a few spare magazines and a can of Spam ... Who could ask for anything more !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I own sixteen of them. Sold all my craptastic plastic stuff as it is all junk compared to a 1911. Been carrying a 1911 for a living since the age of 19, and now at age-66, still depend on them.

My latest duty gun, a Nighthawk TRS in God's Caliber.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NHTRS.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	288426
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Buddy
    I've only fired it maybe 750 times so far, but my SA 1911 (the forged Brazilian SS "Mil-Spec" model) hasn't missed a beat. So far, it's batting a thousand straight out of the box.

Boolit Buddy
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]288434[/AT
    My newest this was 3rd and 4th mags thru the gun, only have about 250 rnds thru it.
    Had 1 stovepipe on 2nd round thru the gun, it was a light bullseye load. None since.
    I could not work the slide when new it was so tight.
    About the best my old eyes with cheaters can do.

I liked your videos 45guy lot of effort to make one.

Boolit Master
    I’d call the 1911 an Expert Gun. It is not for the inexperienced or shooters who won’t put in the time with it. It will never be obsolete.

I disagree that DA/SA autos are bad or obsolete. They may be the safest handgun there is. That doesn’t necessarily mean they’re for idiots.

I carry a medium-frame revolver AIWB (living in TX, that’s about the only feasible concealed option.). Whenever I think about switching to a bottom feeder, DA/SA is the only gun I would consider. Even though I own and like 1911s and Glocks, there is no way in hell I’d carry one pointed at my groin.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast