RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Obsolete

Boolit Grand Master

I am surprised but the narrow focus of this discussion. It's most appears to be based on carry guns. That is more than a little myopic. Yes the 1911 is large and heavy. That also makes it idea for other applications like hunting, target and actual combat usage.

My daily carry is a 9mm Sig 365XL. With 12 rounds and a red dot in a very small light package that is relatively accurate it is a good match for my threat level. That being said if I knowingly am going into a handgun fight I want my 1911's. I would prefer my double stack 1911's but my single stack would be fine also.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Banned
    Also dont forget that the media outlets claiming that the 1911 and revolver are obsolete and need to be tosseds are also the ones.

advocating for

10 ounce revolvers chambered in .357 magnum and to use the treasury loads... that most dont like to use in an L frame...

15 ounce semi automatics chambered in 9mm and 40 sw

20 ounce snubs chambered in 44 magnum and 454 casull

Boolit Master

Of course, if they're declared obsolete antiques, maybe we can start treating them like black powder guns and transfer them cash & carry with no FFL nonsense.

YES! ABSOLUTELY! 1911'S AND REVOLVERS ARE OBSOLETE! IN FACT, THEY ARE PRACTICALLY STONE AGE!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I smell a conspiracy. If you subtract the time on the broken clock on his wall (10:16) from 1911, you get 895, which is approx the velocity of a .45 ACP.
    Plus, his work area is way too organized.
    What's going on here?

ah, you know I'm kidding, right?
    Good video.
    Doh! You broke the code! Now I’ve got to come up with a new subliminal brainwashing technique!

Howard

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    1) Obsolete? Your on the wrong forum for that type of talk

2) Your clock is broken

3) How is your new job going Mr. Funk?

4) great video as always
    Ha, ha!

1. I’m wrong in many other ways too.

2. The clock is fine except for the fact that I removed the battery because I thought the ticking sound in my videos was distracting.

3. New job is going well.

4. Thank you!

Howard

Boolit Master
    I like 1911s but would rather carry a Ruger Redhawk with 8 rounds of 357mag on tap if I'm going to commit to something big and heavy.

I actually got rid of my full sized pistols though, except for a Ruger MKIII Hunter and an Encore with a 12" barrel, I found that I just have to have a compact gun to actually carry the thing, even in the woods here on the east coast.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Bub
    I carry my Les Baer 1911 every day in the not Summer season. She has some pretty gnarly combat grips that require fabric between them and my belly. The Baer lives up to its accuracy guarantee and it has never jammed, even during break-in. I carry 2 spare mags. I figure if I need more than 24 rounds of 230 acp HP’s, I got really big problems. Would not trade my Baer 1911 for any other handgun. I carry a Walther PPQ .40 S&W in Summer.

Boolit Master
    I have a Colt 1903 Hammer in .38 ACP that has no safety, no slide release, and even has a barrel wedge (as in the old Colt cap and ball revolvers). It's the father of the 1911 with all of its fancy dodads. That 1903 is obsolete (still a beautiful gun, great shooter, and the ammo can be fired in an Astra 400). The 1911 is a futuristic sci-fi ray gun compared to the 1903. Lately I've been fantasizing about what I'll do when the crap hits the windmill (funny how fantasies change as we age - I miss Farrah Fawcett's poster on my wall), and what gun I'll grab - in my mind, it's always the 1911 .45 acp or my Ruger .357.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, I have to say it. When you follow a parenthetical reference to Farrah’s poster with wondering what “gun” you’ll grab, I get a disturbing mental image.

Howard

Boolit Master
    Definition of parenthesis: "a remark or passage that departs from the theme of a discourse : DIGRESSION."

Yeah, I digressed. But I still miss that poster.

Boolit Buddy
    Ha, ha! I miss it too. It’s one of many things I miss about the country I grew up in.

Howard

Boolit Master

I think that the fact that there's even a discussion whether it's obsolete or not is amazing testimony to the design. That, and the fact that they're still so widely used.

It is a little irritating to hear some of the younger "tactical" crowd badmouth the 1911, and any older guns in general. I remember one guy telling me "revolvers are stupid". In his opinion, revolvers were as outmoded as flintlocks, and he couldn't understand why any serious shooter would own one, when you could have a Glock instead. Whatever.

Boolit Master

Well outdated or no longer tacticool I still use and carry mine , but then I carry and use a flintlock at times , and a single action revolver Uberti in of all things 45 colt .

But I do have Glocks to , lately the Sharps and 1873 rifles have been high on my list and finding the way into spare spaces , but I always keep a eye out for another 1911 .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I am surprised but the narrow focus of this discussion. It's most appears to be based on carry guns. That is more than a little myopic. Yes the 1911 is large and heavy. That also makes it idea for other applications like hunting, target and actual combat usage.

My daily carry is a 9mm Sig 365XL. With 12 rounds and a red dot in a very small light package that is relatively accurate it is a good match for my threat level. That being said if I knowingly am going into a handgun fight I want my 1911's. I would prefer my double stack 1911's but my single stack would be fine also.
    If I'm knowingly going into a handgun fight I would bring my 870 pump. Really though, in the 21st century the 1911 is a range gun.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    I think that the fact that there's even a discussion whether it's obsolete or not is amazing testimony to the design. That, and the fact that they're still so widely used.

It is a little irritating to hear some of the younger "tactical" crowd badmouth the 1911, and any older guns in general. I remember one guy telling me "revolvers are stupid". In his opinion, revolvers were as outmoded as flintlocks, and he couldn't understand why any serious shooter would own one, when you could have a Glock instead. Whatever.
    Ha! Show me a person that doesn't appreciate revolvers and I'll show you someone who doesn't reload. Like hell am I searching in the grass for all my brass, lol. Would I like to have more than 5 shots in my J-frame? Well yes, yes I would. But I carried a single-stack .380 for years with a 6-shot magazine, and those cartridges were less powerful. Maybe I should ask people if I can shoot them to test the 22LR bullets out of my S&W model 63, they're so weak that surely even all 8 shots won't hurt them...

Poor whippersnappers don't know what they're missing.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

M-Tecs, thanks for that list of 1911 manufacturers but I don't think Astra belongs there. I could be wrong( and often am) but Astra never dipped its toe in the 1911 pool. But they made good pistols of other designs, for sure.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

No there was a 1911 made by Astra , google it up . Or here is a link https://primarmi.it/en/product/astra...-a1-u-s-model/

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    Ha! Show me a person that doesn't appreciate revolvers and I'll show you someone who doesn't reload. Like hell am I searching in the grass for all my brass, lol. Would I like to have more than 5 shots in my J-frame? Well yes, yes I would. But I carried a single-stack .380 for years with a 6-shot magazine, and those cartridges were less powerful. Maybe I should ask people if I can shoot them to test the 22LR bullets out of my S&W model 63, they're so weak that surely even all 8 shots won't hurt them...

Poor whippersnappers don't know what they're missing.
    Yep, revolvers are my favorite. Have two Rugers and four Smiths. Taking a 686+, a 3" model 60 and a 5" 27 out today to try a new conventional lubed 158 gr. boolit. Loaded over 7.5 gr. HS 6. The 60 needs a .358" boolit and the other two use a .357". The model 60 in a shoulder holster is my most carried piece. A Glock 36 after that. In the woods it is the 27. In the car I bag a high cap 9 too.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    I have to say, I really love my Model 60 with a 3" barrel. It's so easy to carry but the long sight takes helps it shoot like a real gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Laguna Freak View Post
    I carry my Les Baer 1911 every day in the not Summer season. She has some pretty gnarly combat grips that require fabric between them and my belly. The Baer lives up to its accuracy guarantee and it has never jammed, even during break-in. I carry 2 spare mags. I figure if I need more than 24 rounds of 230 acp HP’s, I got really big problems. Would not trade my Baer 1911 for any other handgun. I carry a Walther PPQ .40 S&W in Summer.

That's pretty incredible. In 10 years of being a range officer, I've never seen even a single Les Baer make it through a match without a jam. Everyone tells me about these magical reliable Les Baers, but I've never seen one.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast