WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Obsolete

Boolit Master
    Does obsolete mean it won't kill you if you get shot with one ? All these years I have been carrying a pistol that won't save me from bad things?? They do seem to work well.

Boolit Master
    I smell a conspiracy. If you subtract the time on the broken clock on his wall (10:16) from 1911, you get 895, which is approx the velocity of a .45 ACP.
    Plus, his work area is way too organized.
    What's going on here?

ah, you know I'm kidding, right?
    Good video.

Great post HR...I NEVER fail to watch your videos...thanks again for the good work. Rod
    Rod

It's ironic.

Most of the time I see a malfunction at an IDPA match, it is a 1911.

Even more ironic, their first words are, "it's never done that before!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The photo below is my IDPA match gun. With over 2,000 rounds fired it has never had a failure. The target is 8 rounds of Federal Gold Match 185 gr. ammo fired from a Ransom rest at 25 yards. You can cover the single hole with a 5 cent nickel. With that reliability and accuracy, i do not think a John Browning designed 1911 is obsolete even after 100 years.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_4595.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	287942

The Colt 1911 National Match was my duty gun for 15 years on patrol and detective work. That group was 8 rounds of my duty load consisting of 185 gr. HP +P ammo. Fired over sandbags at 25 yards. I can only recall one failure to feed in the years I carried it and that was due to a poor reloaded round that had shaved lead at the case mouth and prevented it from fully going into the tight match chamber.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_4594.jpg  
    Last edited by knifemaker; 08-27-2021 at 11:00 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    There are company's and even small shops that is all they make or work on and even the big company's that jumped on the 1911 wagon to get in on the market .

Boolit Grand Master

Per a couple of Dictionaries obsolete is not a term that is remotely close to being appropriate for the 1911.

no longer produced or used; out of date

no longer in use or no longer useful

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/li...former.280059/

I'm attempting to list all current and former 1911 manufacturers. It may not even be possible to create a complete and accurate list, given all the variations and cross-branding. However if anyone can think of one that I missed, please add it to this thread and I'll update the main list when possible. I'm confining this to volume manufacturers and leaving out the small "one-man" shops, not because they're not legitimate 1911 makers but because if they were included we'd probably have at least a couple thousand different manufacturers!

The biggest problem with compiling a list like this is determining how to even precisely define a 1911 pistol, given the sheer number of variations produced over the years with numerous design changes. In the end I had to choose to apply my own definition, which hopefully the majority of you will agree with. It must be based off the original John Browning/Colt design and share a substantial number of interchangeable parts (primarily the slide, frame and barrel), with "interchangeable" allowing for the obvious fact that many new pistols will include modern upgrades (such as beavertail grip safeties and improved sights) that would not fit on an original US military 1911. But I left a manufacturer off the list if their guns strayed too far from the original design. For example, to me the Colt Series 80 would still be considered a 1911 despite incorporating a firing pin safety system, but the Mexican Obregon would not as the slide, barrel, and many other parts are completely different, even though the lower half is similar and may even share magazines or other small parts with a standard 1911. Of course the same logic could be applied to a double-stack pistol like some Para Ordnance models or any of the new breed of .22 caliber 1911 look-alikes. In the end I had to make decisions on where to draw the line.

A&R Sales
    Accuracy X
    A.J. Savage (US gov't contract 1919, made slides only)
    Alchemy Custom Weaponry
    American Classic
    American Tactical
    AMT
    Armi Dallera Custom (ADC)
    Armscor
    Arsenal Firearms (maker of a unique double-barreled 1911)
    Astra
    ATI
    Australian Precision Arms
    Auto Ordnance
    Briley
    Brixia
    Brolin Arms
    Brownells
    Browning (reduced-size .22 and .380 copies)
    Bunker Arms
    Cabot
    Carolina Arms
    Caspian (slides and frames only)
    Charles Daly
    Christensen Arms
    Cimarron
    Citadel
    CO Arms
    Colt (commercial and US/foreign gov't contract from 1911 to present day)
    Coonan (loose copy of the 1911 mostly chambered in .357 Magnum)
    Cosaint Arms
    Chiappa (.22LR 1911 copy)
    Crown City
    Cylinder & Slide
    CZ USA
    Dan Wesson
    Detonics
    Devel
    Devil Dog Arms
    Dlask Arms
    D&L Sports
    Double Star
    Ed Brown
    EMF
    Essex (slides and frames only)
    Federal Ordnance
    Falcon
    Firestorm
    Freedom Arms
    Fusion Firearms
    Gemini Custom
    Girsan
    Griffon Combat
    GSG (.22LR 1911 copy)
    Guncrafter Industries
    Gunsite
    Hero Guns
    High Standard
    Imbel
    Imperial Defense
    Infinity
    Inland Manufacturing
    Interstate Arms (Regent)
    Interarms
    Irwindale Arms Industries (IAI)
    Israeli Arms Industries (also called IAI)
    Ithaca (new business located in Sandusky, OH)
    Ithaca (old NY-based company, made pistols under US gov't contract 1943-1945)
    Iver Johnson
    Karl Lippard
    Kimber
    Kongsberg (M/1914 pistol manufactured in Norway under Colt license)
    Korth Arms
    LAR
    Les Baer
    Llama (Spanish manufacturer making loose copies of the 1911)
    Lone Star
    Magnum Research (Bul)
    Maximus Custom
    Metro Arms
    Michigan Armament
    Mitchell
    MP Express
    National Ordnance
    Nighthawk
    Norinco
    North American Arms Co. Ltd. (US gov't contract in 1918, ~100 pistols assembled but not delivered)
    Nowlin
    Palmetto State Armory
    Para Ordnance/Para USA
    Pistol Dynamics
    Olympic Arms
    Omega Defense
    Oriskany Arms
    Peter Stahl
    Randall
    Ranger
    Reeder Custom
    Regent
    Remington Arms (current business)
    Remington Rand (made pistols under US gov't contract 1942-1945, not affiliated with Remington Arms or Remington-UMC)
    Remington-UMC (US gov't contract 1918-1919) NOTE: ~1000 replicas were made by Remington Arms and Turnbull in 2014)
    Republic Forge
    Roberts Defense
    Rock Island Armory
    Rock River Arms
    Ruger
    Safari Arms
    S.A.M
    Salient Arms
    Sarco
    Schroeder Bauman
    Shooters Arms (Philippines)
    Sig Sauer
    Singer (US gov't contract, 500 pistols produced in 1941)
    Sistema (aka D.G.F.M.-F.M.A.P.) (M1927 pistol manufactured in Argentina under Colt license)
    Smith & Wesson
    South Fork Arms/Perkins Custom
    Springfield Armory (former military arsenal in MA, made M1911s from 1914-1917 under US gov't contract)
    Springfield Armory (commercial business established in 1974, not associated with above)
    Standard Manufacturing
    Star (Spanish manufacturer making loose copies of the 1911)
    STI/Staccato
    SVI/Strayer Voigt
    Tanfoglio
    Taurus
    Taylor & Co.
    TİSAŞ
    TRIARC Systems
    Turnbull Mfg.
    Ultimate Arms
    Unertl
    Union Switch & Signal (US gov't contract, 1943)
    Uselton/Ultimate Arms
    USFA
    Walther/Umarex (.22LR 1911 copy)
    Wilson Combat
    Vega (frames only)
    Valtro
    Victory Arms
    Volkman
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-28-2021 at 05:24 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Didn't Jeff Cooper say "the double-action auto is an engenious solution to a non existent problem"
    Colt SAA above all, then;
    Glock 2nd,
    I like High Powers too.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Like Trump said….. “Fake News”
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    Great range guns, like a 686. But too heavy for me to carry comfortably. I would choose a Glock 19 every time.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    I think you guys who argue "Glock vs 1911" until you're blue in the face, or don't want to allow one or the other in the same room the one you prefer are kinda cute.

I break centerfire handguns down into four groups:

1. 1911's
    2. Glocks
    3. Revolvers
    4. Those that are not worth my time

The 1911 and Glock are the most easily armorer/end-user serviced pistols on earth. Anything else is usually a train wreck of complex double action clockworks or one-time-use roll pins. A GI-spec 1911 is it's own disassembly tool kit, to the point where you only need a screwdriver for the grips. A Glock needs a punch, and a flat-bladed screwdrivery thing plus a pair of needle nosed pliers IF you need to take the mag catch out. About the only specialty tool one might regularly need on either is the gizmo to restake a 1911's plunger tube - and only if it wasn't done right the first time.

The "modern" DA/SA handguns of the 1980's were a mechanical answer to what was really a (lack of) training problem, and they brought plenty of other training-related and mechanical problems to the party. . .which is why the 1911 and Glock have outlasted them, and the 1911 mechanism (in various forms) has had a resurgence.

The 1911 (with its grip safety) and Glock (with its trigger safety) both turn off when you let go of them. A great many autoloaders do not.

The 1911 is pretty much unique in that it has about the only trigger mechanism that is ergonomically correct to the human hand. It slides straight to the rear with your finger where EVERYTHING else pivots up and back.

The ammo capacity issue does come up a lot, but the counter-argument (regardless of caliber) is the flatness and ease of carry of a single-stack gun. While the "stack-and-a-half" guns like the Sig P365 and Glock 43X/48 (especially with Shield Arm's 15 round mags) are a bit of a game changer, they don't eliminate the fact that 7-10 rounds can solve a lot of problems. Another unpleasant bit of reality for those that would call the 1911 obsolete is that double stack guns are too big for many (perhaps even a majority of) shooter's hands. The Luger, 1911, and K-fame S&W were all designed for one-handed use and they all fit even a large human hand much better than just about anything that staggers it's ammo in two columns. Six you can deliver accurately while one hand is otherwise occupied versus 20 you need both hands in order to control the delivery of???? Also worth discussing is the degree to which ammo capacity is a REAL advantage over a PSYCHOLOGICAL one - again let's talk about systems you can HIT with.

The biggest strike against the 1911 then is probably cost of manufacture, but I would argue that it persists because it still manages to be a better overall system than anything else out there besides possibly Glock. If arguing between the two, the 1911 is probably more fixable in the boonies if you had to make your own parts - - but you have to understand how it works. With the Glock, you need spare parts, but you can just swap them out until your problem goes away. Flip a coin.

What I REALLY wish the 1911 manufacturers would do is start applying the modern bombproof finishes like tenifer, melonite, and DLC to the platform. We're still getting them blued, painted, and Parkerized - we can do better.
    Yes Sir, Great post !

Boolit Master

A great video. I enjoyed it and agree with it. I've been a 1911 fan since my pre teen years. I shot a Kimber in IDPA for years back when they were really common in that game.

I bought my first 1911 50+ years ago and right now I hoping my LGS will call soon and tell me my Dan Wesson is in.
    Chuck

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Great range guns, like a 686. But too heavy for me to carry comfortably. I would choose a Glock 19 every time.
    Gee...eat some meat.

I've got chronic severe back problems and I manage to carry a LW Commander 1911.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Didn't Jeff Cooper say "the double-action auto is an engenious solution to a non existent problem"
    Colt SAA above all, then;
    Glock 2nd,
    I like High Powers too.
    I like the above , but would also add in the Sringfield xdm , anyway 1911 is not obsolete , do not drink kool aid but do like Dillon and have quite a few Lee reloading and casting stuff , Fanaticism No but appreciate a good design and functioning weapon .

Boolit Master

BAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA! That’s laughable…..45 ACP, because shooting twice is silly…
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    My Kongsberg M1912 had a little tiff the other year
    I think it was due to bullet setback, but well newer know for sure.

A new barrel and a hammer to stragihten the slide and it has done more than 2000+ rounds since then

Boolit Grand Master

1) Obsolete? Your on the wrong forum for that type of talk

2) Your clock is broken

3) How is your new job going Mr. Funk?

4) great video as always
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

It was a very good, truthful and balanced look at the subject. I got started with the 1911 (Rem-Ran 1911A1) in 1961, therefore I was dedicated to it before anything "more modern" came along. I have owned other autopistols, but they are just fun guns. It would take me decades to have the same experience and comfort level with any other design, so why do it? When a pistol has worked it's way into your brain, muscles and bones, then stick with it.

The only things about the video I would differ with, is for me, the P.08 Luger is the best pointing pistol around.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    Gee...eat some meat.

I've got chronic severe back problems and I manage to carry a LW Commander 1911.
    Guess I need some meat, too. Love my 1911's but we carry SW Shields
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    The debate over which gun is the best will last until the last two gunfighters........Don' live by the gun....Live With the gun.
    Do I have a knife....Ive got my pants on don't I.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast