RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Obsolete

Boolit Buddy

1911 Obsolete

Ok fellas, take a look at this one and then let me know what you think.

Howard

1911 Obsolete
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    How can perfection be obsolete?

Bill

Never!

DG

Boolit Master

HR, always enjoy your videos!

I trust my Kimber 1911,...gonna keep it!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    I like it-Good clip.

Boolit Master

Very well said, I thought you were going to trash the 1911 you said it right a person has to train with what they carry. I love the 1911 and have a few of them (10) I can run them very well and carry them some times , but as I get older they get heavy, most of the time ( and please forgive me) I carry a Glock 23 or 19. in a Milt Spark`s holster IWB. I also carry a S&W 640 in a Spark`s POC in my front right pocket. Again thank you for your service to our country and for your concise accurate to the point videos

Boolit Master

I think you guys who argue "Glock vs 1911" until you're blue in the face, or don't want to allow one or the other in the same room the one you prefer are kinda cute.

I break centerfire handguns down into four groups:

1. 1911's
    2. Glocks
    3. Revolvers
    4. Those that are not worth my time

The 1911 and Glock are the most easily armorer/end-user serviced pistols on earth. Anything else is usually a train wreck of complex double action clockworks or one-time-use roll pins. A GI-spec 1911 is it's own disassembly tool kit, to the point where you only need a screwdriver for the grips. A Glock needs a punch, and a flat-bladed screwdrivery thing plus a pair of needle nosed pliers IF you need to take the mag catch out. About the only specialty tool one might regularly need on either is the gizmo to restake a 1911's plunger tube - and only if it wasn't done right the first time.

The "modern" DA/SA handguns of the 1980's were a mechanical answer to what was really a (lack of) training problem, and they brought plenty of other training-related and mechanical problems to the party. . .which is why the 1911 and Glock have outlasted them, and the 1911 mechanism (in various forms) has had a resurgence.

The 1911 (with its grip safety) and Glock (with its trigger safety) both turn off when you let go of them. A great many autoloaders do not.

The 1911 is pretty much unique in that it has about the only trigger mechanism that is ergonomically correct to the human hand. It slides straight to the rear with your finger where EVERYTHING else pivots up and back.

The ammo capacity issue does come up a lot, but the counter-argument (regardless of caliber) is the flatness and ease of carry of a single-stack gun. While the "stack-and-a-half" guns like the Sig P365 and Glock 43X/48 (especially with Shield Arm's 15 round mags) are a bit of a game changer, they don't eliminate the fact that 7-10 rounds can solve a lot of problems. Another unpleasant bit of reality for those that would call the 1911 obsolete is that double stack guns are too big for many (perhaps even a majority of) shooter's hands. The Luger, 1911, and K-fame S&W were all designed for one-handed use and they all fit even a large human hand much better than just about anything that staggers it's ammo in two columns. Six you can deliver accurately while one hand is otherwise occupied versus 20 you need both hands in order to control the delivery of???? Also worth discussing is the degree to which ammo capacity is a REAL advantage over a PSYCHOLOGICAL one - again let's talk about systems you can HIT with.

The biggest strike against the 1911 then is probably cost of manufacture, but I would argue that it persists because it still manages to be a better overall system than anything else out there besides possibly Glock. If arguing between the two, the 1911 is probably more fixable in the boonies if you had to make your own parts - - but you have to understand how it works. With the Glock, you need spare parts, but you can just swap them out until your problem goes away. Flip a coin.

What I REALLY wish the 1911 manufacturers would do is start applying the modern bombproof finishes like tenifer, melonite, and DLC to the platform. We're still getting them blued, painted, and Parkerized - we can do better.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master
    There is one ideal carry gun...the one that works for you!!!
    Don Verna

Yes, my S&W 1911 Pro Series enhanced grip safety will not fully engage with my preferred grip, whereas my Remington 1911 R1S with the normal lever, works just fine.

There's lots of alternatives out there that are well received.
    Heck, I've even got a Tupperware .45 myself.

But the 1911 is about as obsolete as a Iron, small block V8, that runs on gasoline.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Vendor Sponsor

What the hell.. *I* am obsolete!! LOL.... I grow more obsolete-r every day! My 1911s don't seem to be aging a bit!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

"I think you guys who argue "Glock vs 1911" until you're blue in the face, or don't want to allow one or the other in the same room the one you prefer are kinda cute.

I break centerfire handguns down into four groups:

1. 1911's
    2. Glocks
    3. Revolvers
    4. Those that are not worth my time "

I have several striker fired pistols. None are Glocks. I don't bash Glocks, they work but they do not fit me. I do however continue to be as amused by the Glock fan boys almost as much as Lee bashers and Dillon koolaid drinkers. I'm not throwing shade at any of these products, the only one I don't have is a Glock, the fanaticism is the same though.

Boolit Buddy
    I am a true 1911 lover. I have 4...all custom, but I also have a G43 and a M629 mountain gun in SS. I look at it this way. These are tools, buy the best you can afford and stay with the best you can shoot. For me, my 1911 commander from Nighthawk (TI) frame is my best. That being said I also carry my G43 for it's ability to conceal in hot weather. I carry the M629 in areas wear bigger predators lurk or for hunting....OK OK....I also have a Colt Model P and an HK USP Tactical in my safe.
    Basically find your gun that you shoot best and carry comfortably......I'd rather have a derringer available than a .500 SW in my truck!
    Do I have a knife....Ive got my pants on don't I.

Boolit Mold
    Yea, right.
    Bull Squat.

1911 is the safest carry gun available and still the best

Boolit Master
    Women accessorize with the choices of many purses and shoes. I accessorize with several different platform designs of the handgun, something about those 1911's still just feels right.

Boolit Master

I have been in love with the 1911 since 1979 when I qualified expert with it and maintained that during my enlistment. My best score was a 40 for 40 and worst was 38 for 40. I could not do that now with shakey hands and poorer eye sight. Damn, I'm starting to sound like a country song.

I have a cop friend that likes to say " the 1911 is like a Glock....but for men "

The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

When all else fails you can depend on the 1911.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast