RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision

Thread: Bullet suggestions for a C sharps 45-2 7/8

Boolit Buddy

Bullet suggestions for a C sharps 45-2 7/8

I know DEAD HORSE...I am getting ready to PP some rounds for my C Sharps 45-2 7/8. The bore is .4495 with a 1x18 twist 34" inch heavy Bbl. I have some Seth Cole 55w and was looking at BACO for some ready to patch bullets to test. It seems to me, from all I have gleamed on paper patching, that a .444 or .446 would be about right. BACO only has .441, .442, .444 diameter. I will try the .444 first......any weight suggestions? I will eventually get a mold but want to see where I'm at before I do.
    Do I have a knife....Ive got my pants on don't I.

Wrap your paper around something to see how much it adds. Then you'll know which bullet to buy.

Boolit Grand Master

My seth cole runs about .0017 in thickness but it can vary some from batch to batch,
    Are you planning on bore tiding or full dia ? Paper thickness times 4 + bullet dia ill get you very close. So .0017 x 4 + .444 = .4548 possibly a little smaller depending on stretch with how tight you wrap. my Csharps 45-90 hepurns green mountain barrels bore is .450 so this would be a little tight.
    Wrap the first bullet and try it in the muzzle Ideal fit is lightly in bore but stays in place when you let go.

The other issue you will run into is most sizing dies wont size down to hold this dia bullet,

Boolit Master
    Many of the molds on BACO's site will say out of stock. This is normal as most molds are made to order. Get the .446" with Seth Cole 55W. You can always size it down if .445" is better. Almost certainly .444" will be less good.

In addition to a mold I'd recommend a Lee push through sizer die right at bore diameter so you can size the patched bullet to right at, or maybe 1/2 thousandths over bore at max.

EDIT; I just re-read your post and realized that you want pre-cast bullets not a mold. If you go with a 0.444" bullet you might want thicker paper. You can often find pads of paper in various thicknesses at art supply stores if there is one close to you.

Chris.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks gents....I have a .451 lee push through, not sure if it will work. BACO has swaged slicks but not in ..445 or .446. I want to try some different slicks and weight/lengths to see what might be promising. I will then order a mold, probably nose poor - adjustable to play with the weight/length area. I shoot cast, 405 FP at .458 from my Marlin Lever in 45-70. It will hold just over 1moa. I have a 4x scope on it. I know apples to water buffs, but it took about 15 different load up to get that.
    I like to play but don't have the cash I had before I retired. It's great to have this forum to get with guys that have more knowledge than I do.
    Last edited by echo154; 08-27-2021 at 05:04 PM. Reason: add on

Boolit Buddy
    I can get the SC 55W locally. I might try the BACO onion skin but would like to get a larger amount a little cheaper. I generally try to get bullets in different styles/weights-etc. then go from there on the ones that show promise.

Boolit Master
    If you can get a .443" bullet it will probably work well with the BACO onion skin, assuming its the same stuff that is around 0.002" think. I started of with a .451" Lee push through sizer and it was a definite improvement over no sizing at all ( mostly it reduced the chances that the occasional round was a bit too fat to chamber ). Later I ordered a custom Lee 0.450" and it's perfect.

Chris.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank Gents!