MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 357 mag vs 30-30 which is better for deer season.

I have killed deer with jacketed 30-30. 100 yards or less. Currently shooting metal targets at 100 yards with my 1894C. Shooting lymans 358430-195 grain is a improvement over the 158 grain. I have not shot a deer with it yet though. I have no doubt that 35 caliber 195 grain bullet starting out at 1500 FPS would thump deer very well. But the only reason I would currently pic it over 30-30 is just to see how it works. I wouldn’t expect any expansion being hard cast.

Everything posted here is good info.

Boolit Buddy
    .357 is a little marginal for deer but will certainly do the job if you are careful. The 30-30 Will allow more shots, so if you really want to get the deer use 30-30. If you are okay with letting it walk if the situation isn't quite right, you can use whatever you want. Have fun!!

Boolit Master

I will add that Leverevolution powder seems to be VERY impressive stuff at this early point of me dealing with it. My pop just acquired a Marlin 336 as his short range carbine (his hands can run levers better than bolts). Early load workups with the 150 grain Barnes are up to about 2400fps with no apparent challenges out of a 20" barrel. This makes it practically a point-and-click rifle to about 200 yards.

I'd have no doubts about a .357 as a 100 yard deer-getter, but frankly, if there's no major difference in how the guns handle, I'd have no interest in playing "fair". The flatter trajectory of the .30-30 gives it my vote.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123