RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication

Thread: My Grandson

Boolit Bub

My Grandson

I am trying to decide if I should leave all my firearms, reloading equipment etc. to my grandson, who is now 10. He has learned to shoot a .22 but is really into water sports and computers. He would need to learn a lot to be able to use what I have accumulated in 78 years. If he doesn't get interested pretty soon I won't have time to teach him what he needs to know. Trying to decide if I should just sell all when I can no longer use it. Kids are not like those of my generation.

Sit down with him and just ask, see where his head is and what he likes. Then, if you decide what his attitude towards shooting sports is concerned, you will know which way to go. Your decision will need to be agreeable with his parents as they will have to take care of your items until he is on his own. Hopefully, we might have a new member on this forum in the future.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Man
    These are tough questions,ones that should involve your children, male or female, I know my interests changed between 10 and 58! You are right that the shooting sports are in danger of becoming history. Maybe try to check his interest in one of the shooting games that are fast paced or reactive like cowboy action,silhouette,trap,skeet, or even bird hunting behind a dog. Some youngsters can completely get into paper target shooting,some need to circle back to that.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    I taught my daughter, his mother, to shoot and we shot smallbore all over the US. She was a great shot. high intermediate junior at Camp Perry, shot on the Dewar teams and Randle teams, most of the time beat the army team shooters and shot on NC State Rifle team. Sometimes we shoot for fun when she comes home. She wants me to pass everything to him. But she never was into reloading. Ever think of how much knowledge you have acquired (about shooting, reloading etc.) over your lifetime. If he is interested he has a lot to learn.

Boolit Buddy
    I’d ask him which ones he’s interested in having and sell the rest. That’s what I’ve decided to do.

It all really depends on your imment demise.

Really.

At 10, he might be interested in a bit of plinking or some hunting. But I would not expect, nor allow anyone under 16 or 17 depending on their aptitude to reload or even want to reload or even really be able to understand the risks of reloading. I would pick a shotgun, one or two rifles that are more significant to you, along with a 22 rifle and pistol if you have them. Maybe add a good revolver if you have one. Ask your daughter if she wants any of the other guns you have for herself or husband. I'd not leave him a pile of weapons. Just a few to use. Any plastic guns that your daughter doesn't want are sold now. Any other long gun that isnt a real keeper is sold now. Get it down to maybe a good half dozen.

As far ammo, I'd go through, date and well mark everything that you are leaving for the guns you are leaving. Sell the rest of the stuff now. Unless your daughter or her husband want to learn reloading, sell the rest. I would make up a goodly pile of ammo if you can for each if these guns and mark well, so they can shoot for a long time.

And I hope the demise is a long way off.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    My grandpa wouldn’t let anyone near his reloading shop till he was nearing the end and I was going down to care for him for a couple of weeks when I was 21/22, that’s when he finally allowed someone else in his quiet space, me. No one used his reloaders even they were all top shelf (PW, Star, Mec, etc.). At the time I had little interest in shooting/reloading as I had left that behind in my early teens thanks to constant jobs and club activities (and some girls ).

After he passed he left no instructions or indications of who was to get what. My uncle wanted it all pitched cause he had sore memories, dad already had his own kit.

And no one had any interest in any of his casting equipment or alloys. (Saeco, H&G, Ideal, etc).

A year or so after he passed we still sat on his house and my wife got into wanting to shoot so we started our collection. In need of ammo we started reloading at my dad’s and Dad offered grandpas stuff to get me started on my own. So we drove from Michigan to Texas (twice) to load up his stuff and bring it all to our house. Two trips were needed thanks to the weight overloading my escape on the first trip, too much lead alloy.

All that to say, you never know what will change once he becomes a full fledged adult. Had someone asked me at 21 if I wanted his stuff I’d have said no way, it was all old stuff and I would prefer newer version. Now, I regret all the stanley hand planes and wooden clamps my dad sold in the yard sale for pennies on the dollar that could have been mine had I asked.

My advice, if you have quality stuff that has intrinsic value and you don’t need the money, leave it to him and let him make the call when he’s old enough. It acts as a inheritance which only appreciates in value.

If you have stuff that, in your eyes, is lower end and/or not worth passing on, sell it now and leave him to fill the gap when/if he finds the need. No point in a lee press gathering dust next to a rock chucker or Dillon as an example (unless the lee is your preferred press).

Ultimately, there’s a lot of fun value in saying “this was my grandpas and he used it over half a century ago and it’s still going strong”.

I personally think your time would be better spent on getting him interested in shooting more - once he is really into that, he might get the idea of reloading "saving money" As others said here, 10 years may be a bit too young to do reliable reloading and to pick up the nuances of our hobby. Maybe it is just me, but when I was young, shooting was fun, but I never worried about or was interested in fine tuning ammunition or to save money.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Banned
    At 10 years of age he is more in tune with electronics and his friends than anything else you need at every opportunity sit him down and talk about the history of this country and how much it cost to have what we all enjoy. He needs to understand the Bill Of Rights and why it is so important to this Republic.

Boolit Master
    I can only relate this to my own life
    10 is young, but that's when my dad had me helping out loading shotshells. it was 11 when me and my cousin cast our first bullets to feed an Italian cap and ball pistol. but when I was 18 wild and crazy I did not become really responsible till I was about 23 on my first real career job far away from home where I met my gunsmith/champion trap and skeet shooter mentor that changed my life forever.
    a lot goes on in a boys life between 10 and 20

Boolit Grand Master

If you think you will be around for the next 10 years, go for it. Otherwise get his parents involved in learning to reload and use the equipment.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    You didn't mention the parents or their views. Not trying to stir things up or make it political, but some parents these days will push back against their kids having anything positive to do with firearms.

At least leave a couple of firearms. Something to remember from Grandpa or whatever you are called. If interest increases, leave some more.

Kind like a beloved pet. Would one give a valued and loved cat or dog to someone with little interest in them? Not quite an apples to apples comparison but similar.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    You didn't mention the parents or their views. Not trying to stir things up or make it political, but some parents these days will push back against their kids having anything positive to do with firearms.

At least leave a couple of firearms. Something to remember from Grandpa or whatever you are called. If interest increases, leave some more.

Kind like a beloved pet. Would one give a valued and loved cat or dog to someone with little interest in them? Not quite an apples to apples comparison but similar.
    I agree, I didn't mention it above, but I've my Great Uncle's 16 G shotgun. I used it when I was 16 on, It was mine then. Brother got his 20G. We also both got a 22 rifle. I've a worn out bolt action Remington 22. He shot it so much using only 22 shorts that it won't eject a long or long rifle. Works fine with shorts.... Memories of him using it to kill squirrels and blue jays from his bathroom window, and this was in town in a subdivision in the 60s. Worth? Maybe $50 at best, to me? Priceless.

Boolit Buddy
    I would give him a reloading manual or a Cartridge' of the world book and see what happens . I did this with my son in the 90's and he wore the cover off both and now he is still in to it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StuBach View Post
    My grandpa wouldn’t let anyone near his reloading shop till he was nearing the end and I was going down to care for him for a couple of weeks when I was 21/22, that’s when he finally allowed someone else in his quiet space, me. No one used his reloaders even they were all top shelf (PW, Star, Mec, etc.). At the time I had little interest in shooting/reloading as I had left that behind in my early teens thanks to constant jobs and club activities (and some girls ).

After he passed he left no instructions or indications of who was to get what. My uncle wanted it all pitched cause he had sore memories, dad already had his own kit.

And no one had any interest in any of his casting equipment or alloys. (Saeco, H&G, Ideal, etc).

A year or so after he passed we still sat on his house and my wife got into wanting to shoot so we started our collection. In need of ammo we started reloading at my dad’s and Dad offered grandpas stuff to get me started on my own. So we drove from Michigan to Texas (twice) to load up his stuff and bring it all to our house. Two trips were needed thanks to the weight overloading my escape on the first trip, too much lead alloy.

All that to say, you never know what will change once he becomes a full fledged adult. Had someone asked me at 21 if I wanted his stuff I’d have said no way, it was all old stuff and I would prefer newer version. Now, I regret all the stanley hand planes and wooden clamps my dad sold in the yard sale for pennies on the dollar that could have been mine had I asked.

My advice, if you have quality stuff that has intrinsic value and you don’t need the money, leave it to him and let him make the call when he’s old enough. It acts as a inheritance which only appreciates in value.

If you have stuff that, in your eyes, is lower end and/or not worth passing on, sell it now and leave him to fill the gap when/if he finds the need. No point in a lee press gathering dust next to a rock chucker or Dillon as an example (unless the lee is your preferred press).

Ultimately, there’s a lot of fun value in saying “this was my grandpas and he used it over half a century ago and it’s still going strong”.
    Very good post and advice IMO.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Will your spouse need the cash reloading equipment and guns will bring. I would have difficulties with giving away $25 K to a grandson if my wife needed cash. Yes at todays prices it is easy to reach that. I have a relative in a west coast state who shoots on occasion. He and his girlfriend have inherited a ton of reloading stuff, guns and shooting items. His parent estimates it at near $100K including the survival items. They can't yet bring themselves to getting a locksmith in to get access. I have offered to drive and assist them but it has been turned down as of now.
    I will leave certain guns to grandkids, kids, nephews, nieces and some of their spouses. Right now no one gets more than two and he works for a three letter agency. My wife has instructions as to where to sell the rest unless one of three people decide they will use it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze