Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just picked up a mosin

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210903_065452_resized.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	288235Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210903_065440_resized.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	288236

Boolit Buddy

Name:	20210903_080306_resized.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	288237

Here are a few photos of the old commy. As you can see someone not very skilled took a saw to her.
    Cleaned up fairly well. I took the bolt down and cleaned all the old oil and rust out. The bore slugs at .313 outer and .303 inner, so I need to get some bigger sizers. Bore is pitted, but not too bad my 303 is way worse.
    With the handguard removed there was too much slop for my liking. So I drove in a piece of cedar shim for now.

I will see how it shoots before I do much more to it.

Hopefully I can find a cheap replacement stock for it. The only ones I found will cost me about 160$, I will not be sinking that kind of scratch into it.

$160 seems pretty excessive to me, even in this day of rapid inflation. They made millions of these, and huge numbers were imported. By now, lots of them have been parted out, so a reasonably priced stock shouldn't be impossible to find.

I'm not sure where you want to go with this project (maybe you aren't either), but it would be possible to restore your present stock. This is referred to in the trade as "stretching" the stock, and is often done to correct Bubba's sporter jobs. You can remove the stock from the action and cut it off square where a barrel band is located, then glue on a new piece of compatible wood and shape it to match the original. The joint is under the band when reassembled. Start with a piece of replacement wood that is just a bit longer than needed and cut it down to close to the proper diameter before the glue job. Then about all you'd need to do is find another band and a nose cap.

There was very recently a thread by a member who restored a K98k Mauser using the technique I've described, and I've done it to several of Bubba's .30-40 Krag rifles. In the photo below, three Krags are shown. Two are "stretched", one is original. Something to consider, if you can't find another stock.

DG

Name:	im004457.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	288239
    Click to enlarge.

Boolit Buddy
    Now that is certainly a good idea sir.

Not quite sure what is going to happen with it yet until I shoot it and stew on it a bit. There seems to be plenty of sporter and tacticool stocks available for cheap, but I dont think that's the way this one will head.

Boolit Master

With a properly sized bullet Mosins shoot well with Ed Harris' "the load". That is 13 grains of Red Dot. This lets you get used to the rifle and not need shoulder surgery! Mine like a 314-299.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the noe version of the 311299. With any alloy richer than coww, it casts pretty fat boolits. I will have to get some dropped and see what the dial in at.

Boolit Master
    IS it just me or was it "SHIPPED" home disassembled...?

Boolit Master
    The Lyman 314299 is all that I shoot out of my Finn M27 made in 1935. I bought one of those 314299 molds when they first came out. Nose is .303-.304 and body at .314. Shot very well with wheel weights and 2% tin. Few weeks after I first shot it with that bullet I bought a second mold 314299. Probably have well over 3000 rds through that M27. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by CLAYPOOL View Post
    IS it just me or was it "SHIPPED" home disassembled...?
    That is very hard to say sir. The little surplus store I got it from had just acquired it from an estate sale earlier that day. I dont think he even had it logged into his books yet.

Boolit Master
    Here's a source for more reasonably priced Mosin stocks and handguards:

https://buymilsurp.com/mosin-nagant-...ds-c-2_10.html

The same vendor has other parts, as well - bands and band springs, among others.

Timney makes a replacement trigger, as noted earlier; available form Brownells and others.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Here's a source for more reasonably priced Mosin stocks and handguards:

https://buymilsurp.com/mosin-nagant-...ds-c-2_10.html

The same vendor has other parts, as well - bands and band springs, among others.

Timney makes a replacement trigger, as noted earlier; available form Brownells and others.
    That is the site that I found the stocks on. They do have a cheaper complete stock, in stock, at 140$. However, that is still too pricey as far as I'm concerned. That will almost double the cost of this rifle, and I know it's certainly not worth that much.

Boolit Buddy
    As a side note, wow is the machining terrible on this thing. I understand that this was a war effort build and they pumped them out as fast as they could, but. The barrel and receiver have so many chatter marks on them I'm surprised how well the interior actually looks. I supposed they really did not care about fit and finish as long as it worked.

Boolit Master
    It seems that not that long ago a Mosin could be chosen from a crate of rifles, of which there were at least 10 of, and then purchased with its full accessory kit AND a sardine can of ammo for $99. I just can't believe the prices of these rifles now. I have seen the bottom of the barrel guns - and I mean the BOTTOM of the barrel guns, selling for $500 now with no accessories and a dried up ammo supply.

The LGS owners would beg you to buy two guns back then to offload their supply and free up storage space. Boy have times changed in such a short while.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve got an old stock laying around…….

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
    As a side note, wow is the machining terrible on this thing. I understand that this was a war effort build and they pumped them out as fast as they could, but. The barrel and receiver have so many chatter marks on them I'm surprised how well the interior actually looks. I supposed they really did not care about fit and finish as long as it worked.
    I picked up a 91/30 a few years back it had good bluing, a very nice bore and was not beat up. Everything that mattered was good but it looks like the final polish was done with a side grinder. I have read that at one battle weapons were handed to the troops out of the back of the factory, those were desperate times.

Wouldn't change the finish on mine if I could, it's a reminder of how fast things can go downhill and the guns true worth.

Dave

Enjoy your rifle and hope it shoots well.

Boolit Master
    There is a stock on Ebay starting at $0.99 at the moment, with no bids. Shipping is an additional $30. As stated, these rifle, their ammo, and parts used to be ridiculously inexpensive. Not any more.

If you're not in a hurry, set aside as much money as you're willing to spend for a stock, and wait and watch. It may take years, but eventually you may find what you're looking for at a price you're willing to pay.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy
    Had a chance to shoot the old girl on saturday. Had a few light primer strikes at first until I tightened the firing pin spring. After that it ate any ammo I gave it. All in all it shot ok, certainly not great but acceptable. Shooting low and left right now, but I can work on that. I think this one may turn out to be a good cast shooter. I actually really like the sights, the hood brings the picture in very nicely.

Rifles like these are a reminder of desperate times in the face of an enemy and I would love to know the history of this particular one.

Mr. WinchesterM1, if you could be persuaded to part with your stock without clubbing me over the head I would be interested in it.

Thanks,
    Ken

Boolit Buddy
    My brother came over saturday when we shot it to give me a hand with the old girl and taught me quite a bit about it. He is fairly knowledgeable about the old mosins and has a few.
    He is the one that figured out my firing pin spring needed tightened when we looked at his side by side. Also showed me the cocking piece safety which I think is an interesting take on such a thing.

Looking at the markings on the stock he believes this one did not undergo a rearsenal makeover, not that it means much just something he pointed out.

Boolit Master
    I really love shooting mine with the Lee 312-185-1R over 15gr of TrailBoss powder. It makes a fantastic plinking load. A few years back one could purchase Privi Partisan ammunition at Cabella's for $18/box and of course reuse the brass. Buying the ammunition was cheaper than buying new brass! Now of course, brass is difficult to come across. Hopefully everything will level out within the next few years and we can get back to normal supplies of stuff.

Here is a photo of that bullet just prior to being seated to the crimp groove. Standard 32 caliber gas checks work fine if needed.

Attachment 288327
    Last edited by Tar Heel; 09-06-2021 at 12:40 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I ordered a few sizer dies and expander plug from mr. Nelson at noe yesterday. Both .314 and .315. I know I can get my noe 311299 clone to cast that fat especially with some powder coat, as well as the lee 160gr 7.62 mold. Gonna have to get some cast up.

Also acquired 40 pieces of decent brass that is now sized and primed awaiting some fresh boolits. Not sure when I will have time to get back to this old girl, but it will wait for me.

Thanks for all the help and advice on this old russian.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast