Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just picked up a mosin

Boolit Buddy

Just picked up a mosin

Good morning gents,
    I stopped at a surplus store that has a handful of of surplus rifles, pistols, and more dummy grenades than you can shake a stick at. Anyway, I stopped to check this place out a few weeks ago and bought some 303 ammo from him and he had an m44 in the corner.

I went back to get a closer look at it this week, unfortunately he sold it, oh well. He did have another one that I took a look at and ended up leaving with. Don't know that much about these Russian rifles other than they made gangs of them.

Here is what I know and/or believe so far. I think it is an 1891/30. The date stamp is 1942. The numbers all match on receiver, bolt, and floor plate. The stock has been cut, poorly I might add, so no cleaning rod or bayonet. The bore looks really nice. Out the door with taxes,fees, and a box of throwaway wolf ammo, and a box of s&b brass ammo it was 270$. Paid a little more for the ammo than I cared to, but I need at least some to get started with.

I have a set of lee dies on order. I will need to get some more brass and slug the barrel, but I'm hoping the 311299 and possibly the lee 165 ak mold (can't remember the exact #) will do well in it. Looks like it is right in between 308 and 30-06, looks similar to 303 and 30-40 to me with the rimmed cartridge. I will know more about it when I get it home and give it a good once over and cleaning.

Any help and info you guys can part on this old rusky would be helpful.

Thanks, Ken

Boolit Master

Slug the bore and size accordingly.
    Mine slugs .314.
    I size to .315.
    Fun to shoot cast.
    My load is 16 gr 2400, 1 gr dacron, and any cast in the 180-200+ gr cast bullet.

I'm interested in your comment about a poorly cut stock, no cleaning rod or bayonet. I'd like to see a photo or two out of collector interest. I guess you know that the bayonet is a socket-type that slides over the barrel and has a latch that affixes it to the front sight? So you won't see a bayonet lug like on most other military rifles. There should be a slot cut in the underside of the stock for a cleaning rod, and they aren't hard to come by. Dale's advice to slug the bore is good, but I'll bet a .311 bullet will prove about right.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    I will post a photo when I can. From what I can tell it was cut between the 2 barrel bands. Square cut and not smoothed out, like with a hacksaw. The front barrel band, the notch for the front sling loop and the upper handguard are non existent.

I may not have much time to work on it for a few weeks, as I am working out of town now. I see plenty of aftermarket stocks are available for it, but I would like to find a replacement for it as well as a rod, new upper guard, and front band. From a little googling, parts seem to be mostly available, but no one has a relatively cheap stock advertised. I did find a complete stock with all the metal, bands, plate, tensioners, but 160$ seems a little steep to me.

I've got 309, 310, and 311 sizers, so unless it is a big bore I should be good. Like everything else firearm related, brass seems to command quite a premium right now.

Boolit Buddy
    "Moist Nuggets" are fun to shoot. And they will let you know that you've pulled the trigger.

Banned

All the serial numbers on these rifles are “forced” unless it was a bring back!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    All the serial numbers on these rifles are “forced” unless it was a bring back!
    What does that mean sir? Are they issued an import # that becomes the serial #? This is my first non ally milsurp, so I do not know that much about how that works.

After WW II the Rooskies had a big weapon refinishing, rebuilding and storage program. Many battlefield pick up rifles, worn rifles, and rifles with missing parts were assembled from what was available. Originally the bolts had serial numbers that matched the receivers, but if the bolt was lost and another used, or just mixed up with other bolts, the original serial number was stuck out (X-ed) or filed off and a new number either stamped or applied with an electric pencil to match the receiver. Same with some of the smaller serialized parts. The weapons were mostly refinished and then stored in salt mines as a reserve for the next war. It wasn't just Mosin-Nagant rifles, but just about everything they used and/or captured. Maybe 25 years ago they needed the cash and started selling them off. Not only Mosins reached our shores, but many German K98k rifles and some P-38 pistols a well. These renumbered parts are referred to as being "force fit". Sort of a misleading term, really, as they weren't beat into place with a big hammer.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    I see, well then I guess I have no idea if all the parts are original or not. If it matters, it looks like the numbers on the bolt are stamped and not engraved. Upon closer inspection it was definitely cut at the fore end, the cut is not even square. I will try and post some pics later.

Like all military rifles I would expect the Mosin to perk up if you give it a better trigger. I have had some P17 Enfields and some 98 Mausers which were safe to shoot but had terrible triggers. Dayton Traiste made triggers for the P17 and every one makes them for the Mauser. I have never gone wrong with Timneys. Does anyone make aftermarket triggers for the Mosin. Even Ruger 77's need new triggers. But they are available.

Jim

Boolit Buddy
    I did see that timney makes a trigger for the mosin. Are the mosins supposed to have a safety and mine does not? The timney I seen os advertised "with safety".

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
    I've got 309, 310, and 311 sizers, so unless it is a big bore I should be good. Like everything else firearm related, brass seems to command quite a premium right now.
    If it isn't a Finn Mosin your sizer dies are too small.
    Rule 303

Boolit Master

It will shoot better groups with the bayonet fixed! Try with and without you will see a big difference.

Boolit Master
    To identify your rifle type and manufacturer, try this excellent site.

http://www.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinIDII

A visit to their root page at http://www.62x54r.net/ will yield a wealth of legitimate information - not guesses.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post

A visit to their root page at http://www.62x54r.net/ will yield a wealth of legitimate information - not guesses.
    Thanks for the site link. I will review it when I get a chance.

Boolit Buddy
    There are wide variations in these rifles, and that's an understatement. I have a 91/30 with a 310 bore that won't chamber any boolet larger than 311. And an M44 that happily swallows a 314 because that's what it shoots best. If you end up with a generous sized rifle, the Lee 185 bullet may be useful.

Boolit Master
    Ken,

The safety is on the rear end of the bolt. Grasp the knob of a cocked bolt, pull backwards and twist a bit counterclockwise and you are "safe."

My best boolits for my Russians are the Lyman #311467 and the 185 grain Lee C312. I quickly check bore size by inserting a cast bullet into the muzzle, point first. If it goes more than halfway, size a bit larger.

Adam

Without the photos it sounds like your bolt with stamped numbers is original to the receiver if the numbers are the same. Also, sounds like Bubba got to the rifle before you did with the front end modification. No problem if you want to restore it, as Mosin stocks can be found at most of the internet parts suppliers. Also, cleaning rods.

DG

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post

Thank you for this. Just learned mine was made in 1939 at Tula. I never noticed the Russian Star mark until now

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210903_065506_resized.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	288234

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast