Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Just picked up a mosin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    M44 should be definitely shot with cast bullets. I owned one and absolutely hated its wild recoil even after having properly shimmed the stock. With FMJ it kicked like a mule, not enjoyable at all. Complete opposite of M91/30 which gives a nice push instead.
    Check if it is counter-bored. If not, gauge the muzzle end and counter-bore if worn.

Correct if I'm wrong but I have also read the M-44 should be shot with the bayonet in the fixed position not folded.

Banned
    Yeah Fin has a point there I have seen a big difference in bullet hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Correct if I'm wrong but I have also read the M-44 should be shot with the bayonet in the fixed position not folded.
    I did not notice any difference with or w/o bayo and with its folded or fixed.
    Initially, I bought the carbine w/o a bayo and shot it a few times with 180 gr softpoints and with 150 gr milsurp FMJ. There was no difference in accuracy, only with the POI.
    Later, I bought a correct crucifix bayo and put it on and noticed the same thing: POI changed and would change depending on the folded state but the accuracy was the same.
    Mine had a good bore and was not counterbored.

Dad had one in the seventies. Thinking back, what a great excuse for a large caliber rebore and black.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I did not notice any difference with or w/o bayo and with its folded or fixed.
    Initially, I bought the carbine w/o a bayo and shot it a few times with 180 gr softpoints and with 150 gr milsurp FMJ. There was no difference in accuracy, only with the POI.
    Later, I bought a correct crucifix bayo and put it on and noticed the same thing: POI changed and would change depending on the folded state but the accuracy was the same.
    Mine had a good bore and was not counterbored.
    I think change in POI proves the point that it does have an affect even if it does not change group size.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345