Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else live near a college town?

Boolit Master

Anyone else live near a college town?

If you do, then you are likely aware of the awfulness of this time of year.

If you don't, then let me clue you in...

I live near TWO college towns fifteen miles away in which the population of the towns nearly doubles when the students come back this time of year.

Usually, we get a reprieve from the horrible driving, traffic, long lines everywhere, increase in crime, etc. over the summer. But this year, the Californians have been moving in, and they have the mental and maturity level of your average 21 yr old, so it's been annoying already.

Now, we have around 50,000 extra people here that are self-centered, ignorant, dangerous behind the wheel, and think everyone owes them.

Yes, not all of them are like that. There are plenty of great college kids. But when you get 50,000 of them, there is a fair chance that a significant number of them are pretty bad.

Just got back from town and nearly got into 3 accidents involving college kids. One going the wrong way, one pulling into the wrong lane, and one doing about 60 in a 25 zone on a motorcycle wearing shorts and flip-flops.

It's crazy now.

Anyone else live in a college town and know what it's like? Does it seem to be getting worse lately, or am I just getting older and crankier?
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

I don’t think we have 50K people in all the counties around me combined, no University, Jr college extensions are not really a problem. Universities are the ‘Skunk Works’ of the Human milk duds.

I live just outside East Lansing the home of Michigan State University. The city has a population of 47K the college has 50K students. The tri-county area is under half a million so they add up.
    As for accidents, well, I did once get hit by a student trying to make a left across five lanes of cars.
    Their parents can be just as bad. They're the ones who end up driving the wrong way down two lane one way streets.

Fargo ND has the NDSU campus. Across the river in Moorhead Mn they have 2, Moorhead State and Concordia which is a private christian based school.

Maybe it is I am just far enough from the 3 campus's that I just don't see it.
    Or maybe we are just getting a better grade of students around here.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Buddy
    I live in Bryan/College Station, TX. Home of Texas A&M University. Have about 65,000 students. Bryan and College Station has about 200,000 residents. It definitely makes a difference when students are back. Classes start Monday, so this week is still move in. Plenty of parents and new students. What will be interesting is we usually have 7000 or so freshman and it takes them a few weeks to learn campus and town, then things settle down. Because of covid, we'll have this years freshman and last years freshman (sophomores now). We are going to have an interesting few weeks.

I'm glad to have the students back!

Boolit Grand Master

Aberdeen has NSU. It's not bad, it's all perspective. It isn't like a college clears out over the summer like a high school. Maybe 1/4 of the students truly leave for an extended time. Most stay and work, and plenty still have classes.

I grew up within a weekend driving distance of major metro area in a lake area. Look at Alexandria, MN, Brainerd, MN, Wisconsin Dells, WI, etc. What you have in Idaho is not at all comparable to the summertime migration of cities like these. If you already have 50,000+ people where you are to begin with, then none of it matters anyway. You seem to hate city life and small town life at the same time. You can't have both. Such is life.

Banned
    I live in a College town. Right near the town square and by the river front where the rock concerts are. It gets nuts at night with the loud head banger music and drunks screaming...motor psyco's trying to be loud and cars burning out.
    But with I think back to when I was that age...I just sigh and am grateful that I survived. The kids nowadays don't compare to the wildness that we generated in my day.

Boolit Master
    We have 4 colleges. I do not notice much trouble. And the summer tourists are gone.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Fargo ND has the NDSU campus. Across the river in Moorhead Mn they have 2, Moorhead State and Concordia which is a private christian based school.

Maybe it is I am just far enough from the 3 campus's that I just don't see it.
    Or maybe we are just getting a better grade of students around here.
    Places like the mountains are hard on folks in winter, you can't be lazy and expect to survive, Fargo is VERY hard on folks in the winter, so that alone weeds out a bunch of the slackers, life is too hard on their candy ***** to stick around where you have to work to eat, work to stay warm, etc.. An old ironworker foreman told me once "Gotta be tough if you're gonna be stupid." Guess the entitlement generation isn't that tough.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    I live just outside East Lansing the home of Michigan State University. The city has a population of 47K the college has 50K students. The tri-county area is under half a million so they add up.
    As for accidents, well, I did once get hit by a student trying to make a left across five lanes of cars.
    Their parents can be just as bad. They're the ones who end up driving the wrong way down two lane one way streets.
    I too love and work in the greater East Lansing area and advise two businesses in downtown area. Summer there is peaceful. Anyone can go down town, enjoy the nice scenery, eat at local restaurants, etc.. This week is welcome week for us and the nightmare begins. Business will be booming which is greatly appreciated for my operators but you couldn’t pay me to try and take my family down town now that students are back.

To your accidents conversation. We have a high population of very wealthy students come each year and they invariably bring their very nice cars. I watched a young man in a custom $540k Mirror Finish Lamborghini Aventador total his car by rear-ending a Jeep CJ7 on Grand River. Lambo was totaled, CJ7 just needed some bumper work. Kid was a regular at one of the businesses I call on, he was in a new lambo two weeks later courtesy of daddy or mommy.

Most college kids have parents credit card and no common sense which makes for problems for many, not all by any means, if them. Problem is the bad are more noticeable than the good so they make them all look bad. I’m happy they’re back and glad to see businesses getting some customers again, just practicing my defensive driving.

Boolit Master

A small liberal arts college 15 miles away, PSU 30 miles from my home- 'nuff said!
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master
    We are lucky in that most of the students are in state and not from the East or West coasts. They do not come here to party.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    Youngin's tend to cut loose when they ain't got ma and pa lookin' over their shoulder.

Boolit Master
    We have ETSU and for the most part they are well behaved. I do avoid that area like the plague though.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    It's still hot down here and that means the young ladies are sporting short shorts, Possibly this is the cause of a few wrecks due too necks being cranked over 180 degrees and not paying attention to the road ?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    It's still hot down here and that means the young ladies are sporting short shorts, Possibly this is the cause of a few wrecks due too necks being cranked over 180 degrees and not paying attention to the road ?
    Oh, definitely! I went to buy groceries yesterday and the amount of bare skin and clothes so tight that it leaves little to the imagination on display was shocking. I really try not to look, but it really does just grab your attention for a moment.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Moderator Emeritus

Yep MT Tech has a couple of thousand kids and Western MT College must be close to that. Bozeman on the other hand, which has been full of arrogant body parts with no brains gets close to 15 K or so. They might get a diploma but in my mind they leave brainless and arrogant.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Been working in a major university town for over thirty years. The week before the beginning of Fall Term and the first two weeks afterwards are the local Silly Season. Lots and lots of kids with minimal driving experience trying to get somewhere they don't know how to get there. It takes a few weeks for many of them to figure out it's not worth the effort to drive to class so they end up taking the bus, scooter, bicycle, or walking. Shopping in town during that time is more annoying than driving - particularly places like Target, Wal Mart, etc.

Any place that sees a large population movement on a seasonal basis experiences the same problems. I'll take the college kids over driving in Orlando, Tampa, Miami any day!
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dunross View Post
    Any place that sees a large population movement on a seasonal basis experiences the same problems. I'll take the college kids over driving in Orlando, Tampa, Miami any day!
    Thank heaven there’s no university near us. In fact the past three years the snow-bird migration has been sparse too. Covid really kept them away last season. Guess it’s true, every cloud does have a silver lining. None the less, between distracted drivers and left-turn (from the right lane) artists a trip to the drug store is risky business.
    I’m convinced 40% of Florida drivers are uninsured and 25% are unlicensed.

Boolit Grand Master

Baton Rouge Louisiana , home to the Louisiana State University Fighting Tigers and Southern University and A&M College Jaguars ... not one but two Universities !
    Yes the traffic gets a little bad , at first ... then every one finds their way around and finds the easiest routes so traffic gets better ... But best of all ... You know it's coming ... FOOTBALL SEASON !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast