Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Catch Bin Ideas

Star Catch Bin Ideas

I finally got my first Star and I'm trying to get it set up. Just waiting on dies and I'll be ready to give it a try. The only thing I have left to do is figure out a catch bin set-up. My star is mounted to a wooden top work bench that is 1 5/8" thick. I'm looking for ideas on how to attach something to the bench to catch the bullets when sized. I could mount it to the front of the bench or where the bolts from the lube heater come through the top of the bench through the bottom of the bench top. Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Last edited by SoonerEd; 08-25-2021 at 05:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    I did mine differently. I mounted the lube sizer to a small sheet of plywood with some 1x2 spacers under the plywood. This gives clearance for an ice cube tray or small plastic tub like meat trays to accept the sized and lubricated bullets. Just C clamp the wood base to a bench or table top and proceed. I use soft wax lube so a heater is not needed.

Boolit Master
    I put a piece of sheet metal mounted on the front of the bench with some washers under it to give space and then hang my Dillon bullet tray or something similar on the front easy to put up and take down. It is a good idea to put a small sheet of rubber right where the bullet hits the bottom so it won't bounce out.

Boolit Master
    I have a slide out shelf that's 4" below my bench top. It comes out 7". I catch bullets in those metal tins that you see around Christmas with cookies and candy. I line the tin with 1/4" bubble envelope that Midway sends their stuff in. The shelf is completely made from 3/4" plywood. Slots cut in the rails for the shelf to slide in. Nothing complicated. My slide out shelf is 48" wide to I can use it under my star lubesizers and loader. It's my auxiliary barrel cleaning/soaking table too. Love the smell of Montana Extreme 50 BMG.

Thanks. Those are some good ideas. I'll fiddle with it over the weekend and see what might work the best for my set-up.

Boolit Buddy
    I milled out a aluminum rail and mounted it on the front of my bench to hang a a akro bin off

Boolit Master
    I attached the press to a two by four section, one on each side of the press. I have a metal tray that slides under it and I insert a cat food can as a primer catch. I C clamp it to my bench

Boolit Master
    I used one of those small (4"x6") stackable plastic bins. They have recesses in the back for hanging with two roundhead screws. Screws permanently mounted to front of benchtop. Bin gets removed when not in use. Can cut a piece of foam rubber for a cushioned bullet drop.

Winelover

Moderator Emeritus

I have a 5 gallon bucket sitting on top of a couple 50 cal ammo cans...all underneath the Star. I place a container on that to catch the boolits, usually a 1 qt cottage cheese container, which holds about 500 boolits (in the size range of 357/38/9).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Papercidal View Post
    I milled out a aluminum rail and mounted it on the front of my bench to hang a a Akro bin off
    This is what I did. I also placed some 1/8" thick veneer under the aluminum rail to support the Akro bin better. This gives it more bearing surface and less stress on the plastic lip of the bin. I also have the same setup on the left side of the machine for holding bullets that are yet to be sized and lubed. It keeps the reaching back and forth to a minimum.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    My Left Hand catches them. I use a soft lube and set them on their bases.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9x1903.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Bub

G'day from Downunder

G'day All , I made a wood box with a drawer for mine I also added a aluminium plate and a soldering iron for a heater and used it for years till I went to Hi-Tek coating and did away with lube forever and now use a plate on my inline fabrication mount for my star , basicly the bullets drop through the hole when lubed and sized into the drawer for collection when finished .

Regards Paul .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	287918Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	287919

Great ideas thanks.

Boolit Master

I also use a soft lube so I catch each one and put it in a bullet tray, like the ones in the bullet boxes when you buy them. Helps me to keep count of how many I do also.

Boolit Master

My bench top overhangs the frame of my bench. I use a 2 lb. lard can hung on a nail. Trouble is lard don't come in a can anymore. Old school Redneck engineering.

Boolit Master

Glad someone asked this question as I've been pondering doing the same.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

This isn't the exact setup for my Star machines, but it shows how I've done it. I've made hangers for Akro Bins all across the front of my reloading benches and I move the bins as needed. My Star Sizers are mounted to 10" x 10" x 1.5" wooden bases, and I use large C-clamps to mount them to my bench. They slightly overhang the front of the bench and the sized/lubed bullets fall into the bin directly under the sizer.

Hope this helps.

Fred

After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master
    I mounted my heater plate on a piece of 2 x 6 and a piece of plywood. That way, when I put the Star on the heater plate, there is enough room for one of the screw top food storage containers. Size boolits till the container is full or I run out of boolits to size, then put the top on the container, and write boolit data on the lid.

Boolit Buddy
    Like Rockrat, set mine up, but on Dillon's risers for their presses. That gave me additional height and room for a bin under the Star. On my other one the bucket it under the table pushed out of the way and the boolit slides down the leg of panty hose which is angled back to the bucket so it's a slow controlled slide and no dents. Plus it's a nice way to remember an old girlfriend who donated the hose.
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Master

This won't help everyone, but since I use Inline Fabrication's "Quick Change System" to mount my Star (and other items) to my bench, I clamped the tab of a kitchen funnel between the Inline's plates:

I've ordered a 3-ft see-through plastic tube via Amazon to slide onto the funnel which will guide the sized boolits to a catch-box on the ground.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast