Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need to Upgrade from RockChucker - Suggestions?

Boolit Master
    If I were still shooting IDPA I would have a Dillion square deal for 9mm and .45 acp. Currently using a Lee classic turret. I size my handgun calibers on the Lee processing press and then use a hand primer. Then I run them through the turret to bell and charge, seat and crimp. I took off the auto index feature and turn the turret by hand. I use my Rock chucker for rifle calibers becauseI don't shoot much of that compared to pistol rounds. I don't have a auto powder measure for rifle.

Boolit Master
    When using any progressive just remember that you don't have to use it with all the stations full or as a 'one shot' loading setup.

I like to clean my brass after depriming. I use my progressive for depriming. Just use a universal decap die, dump the brass in the 'sorting' bin and go.

I also like to prime only with some cases. I like the feel of it. Again, the progressive is fast. Dump in the cases and go.

Every now and then I will resize only as well. Usually if I am putting the cases away in storage (I like them to be ready to load up).

Then the clean and primed cases can be run through the stages. Resize, flare (if needed), powder, bullet, crimp (if needed). For some rifles this is only a powder charge and bullet seat.

FWIW, I like using Hornady One Shot case lube. It works nicely as well as lubing the inside case necks with no extra effort. Doesn't mess up primers when used correctly. I've never had to clean it off the cases either. Doesn't get sticky at all.

CH4D 444H press.http://www.ch4d.com/
    It don't make much sense that commonsense don't make no sense nomore

If you died today would you have lived your life or have you simply existed

The dillon 550. Had mine since 1996. They are cheaper on die and caliber change out and are easy to learn with manual indexing. I can average 250 rounds an hour from the time I walk out into the garage until I'm back in the house and this is at a relaxing speed. I shoot 5,000-10,000 rounds a year loaded from my 550. Then you'll have some money left over to buy either carbide 556 dies or a dedicated trimmer for the 556 brass.

If you shoot competitions regularly and struggle to find an hour or two prior to a match to load ammo, then consider the 650 or 750. Most competitive shooters I know don't even consider moving up to a 650 or 750 until they hit 15,000 - 20,000 rounds a year. Or, when competitions are a struggle with their time and any time reloading is difficult. Having loaded on a single stage for years prior to switching to a 550...it was the difference in hating to shoot as I could only load 50 rds / hr to loading ammo being a non-issue. If you ever decide you want a 650 or 750, the 550 are easy to sell and will easily sell close to 75% current retail if not abused or overly used...by overly I'm talking 500,000 plus rounds. Even then, dillon can rework them. The 650 and 750 are little more difficult to sell because of cost and the complexity/intimidation factor also limits the resale market.

I am loading .223 Rem. and 9mm on a Dillion 750, about $700 from Dillion I don't have a bullet feeder I set them in by hand , but getting over 200 round per hour is no problem. I am using dies that I have had for years because Dillion is way behind on dies at this time

Moderator Emeritus

I, as are many other replies to your press query, am in the Dillon 550 camp, having a model 550b. I have a bevy of other presses, too, which include three (old) Lyman 4-station All-American Turrets. While I do 99% of my pistol calibre loading on the Dillon, for the same percentage of rifle calibres I use other presses. To wit, for "precision" (minimal run-out on bottleneck) work it's a toss-up between a Foster Co-Ax and a MEC Target -- but these are both single-stage presses.
    The four-station turret offers strength to tackle, at least, all rifle calibres I load; and, it is perhaps a minuscule "slower" than the Dillon, if at all. The "best feature"? If you can find one, the total cost is significantly less than a Dillon!
    Re your "remove sizing lube" question, I'd suggest there be different answers based upon the brand/type of bullet lub is employed! In *my* case, I use nothing other than Imperial Die Wax (now purveyed by Redding), and my "final" step in reloading is to give each case a twirl or two with a paper towel as I inspect for, say, any irregularities in the case before placement in the range-ready box. A friend sprays his cases with a white, dry lub and does ZERO "cleaning" or wiping... claiming this "helps" the loads (???) And, I understand some spray-can lubes boast similar no follow-up requirement. Again, it depends upon the lube you employ.
    BEST!
    geo

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123