WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need to Upgrade from RockChucker - Suggestions?

Boolit Master

Need to Upgrade from RockChucker - Suggestions?

Here it is. I've been hand loading for about 10 years on my RockChucker. It's a awesome press, but volume is a issue. I need to upgrade. Loading 2,000 rd. batches on a single stage is a bit ridiculous. I want something that is going to load faster, but I'd like to avoid a super complicated setup. It will be used mainly for my high volume calibers like .223, 9MM, and .308. I will leave the others to the RCBS. Money isn't a big issue, but I'd like to keep it under $1,000.

I have looked hardest at Dillon. If you suggest a Dillon, which model would be optimal and what extras should I be looking at? Who is the best dealer to buy from?

Something a little off topic that I was thinking on. How do you guys remove sizing lube from your loaded cases, as the brass does not leave the machine from de priming to bullet seating?

Boolit Buddy
    Dillon 550. I have a 550, 650 and 1050. I have fewer problems with the 550 priming system. Less complicated that the others. My favorite supplier is Graf's but Dillon products are hard to find everywhere
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

For a progressive, which is the logical step, I am a Dillon fan. I started with a 550, still have it, then added a 650. If you want something easy to setup & keep running, its a Dillon. If you want max volume, its a 750 w/ case feeder or find a nice clean used 650. I prefer the 650 priming system but that is personal pref.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

Watch eBay for a good used Star. Make sure it has all the bits and pieces. Many sellers have no clue as to what they are selling.

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Buddy
    I've used a Dillion RL550B for a quarter of a century, but I sense progressive presses are like religions, in that each has its true believers. An outstanding thing about Dillon is their customer service. Ask ANY Dillon user about this.

Boolit Buddy
    Keep an eye out for used Dillons, especially the 550. My favorite is the 550 for it's shear awesomeness. It's technically a semi-progressive, so you can run it as a single stage. Need a caliber conversion? The 550 uses the same conversions as the 450. So there's a lot of used ones out there. Not a lot to it, maintenance is pretty easy - keep it clean. For volume, I have Super 1050 with a Mark VII auto drive. But if I had to only have one press, it would be the 550.

BC (before children) the I would reload on the 550 and my wife would keep me in primers, powder, bullets and brass. We could sustain high 500's per hour in most pistol cartridges. For example, if we reloaded for two hours we would make over 1000 rounds. We'd reload a few times a week. Good times. Anyhoo, I've putzed with a few over the years - Lee 1000 and Load Master, RCBS Piggyback and Pro2000 and the Hornady Pro-Jector and L-N-L AP. Give me a 550 or a 1050 any day of the week.

Boolit Master
    I loaded on a RockChucker for years for competition shooting. My main competitor used a Dillon 550 to load for himself, his wife and a friend that provided components for him to load. He regularly kicked my butt with ammo that would fit 3 different guns. I now have a 550B and change between calibers easily (there is a learning curve). I use the latest era Dillon dies. I have a Star Universal that is fine for 38/357 but changing to another caliber costs enough in parts and pieces to buy another Dillon. You have to keep an eye on cleanliness and the priming on the Dillon but you can put out quality ammo a whole bunch quicker than a single stage.

Boolit Master
    A Rockchukker and a Dillon 550 can do just about everything!

I love my 550 and wouldn’t trade it for anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

This is only my choice and perspective, but I chose a Lee Pro 1000. Again, my opinion, but I need at least 5 stations of loading. Lots of people get away with 4 or even 3 stations, but I wont do it. Again lots of people want to dump fired brass in the top, and get loaded ammo out the other side, and I don't like doing that either. The Pro 1000 only has 3 stations, so I load in two steps. First is brass prep, then it's loading/crimping. To answer your question on how I clean off the case lube, I size, then I clean. Once you have clean/sized brass, the Pro 1000 is a great press. If you want to take dirty fired brass and have loaded ammo come out the other side, it is not. I looked at Dillon 550's and saw no advantage to them. I will admit the XL 750 has a lot going for it, and it is possible I may own one at some point.

So if the Pro 1000 doesn't work for you, my suggestion is the XL 750. I'm just not that impressed with the 550 for the price they ask.

Boolit Buddy
    The Dillon 650/750 with the add ons and don’t look back. If money is not a problem, go 1050/1100. 550 if that is your budget. Keep the rock chucker for precision reloading, but for volume and warranty, the 650/750 can’t be beat.

Boolit Master

Sounds like the 550 is getting the top vote.

Banned
    I like my 550 and can produce more than enough ammo in a couple of evenings than I could possibly shoot in a weekend. Good enough for me.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ll cast a vote here for the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press. Titan Reloading has them for a nice price. I also have the Lee Loadmaster and I like it, but the Classic Turret Press is less complicated and will be a massive upgrade in speed for you. I know because I also use a Lee Challenger single-stage; it was my first press.

The Classic Cast Turret Press is very, very strong. It’s a four-hole turret arrangement. If you really want to make it sing, also get the Lee Auto Disk powder measure, the Lee priming system, and if you want to do rifle, get a powder measure riser.

I feel pretty confident in saying that you’ll really like it. That said, I’ve never owned a Dillon, so take this for what it’s worth.

8mmFan

Boolit Buddy
    I am in the 550 camp also. I have two, one is set for large primers and used mostly for 45 ACP for Bullseye competition. The other is set for small primers and used mostly for 9mm for the kids and grandkids plinking ammo. I do have the 38 special tool head for the small primer machine.
    All other handguns and rifles are loaded on a Lyman turret press. Over the years I have gotten a turret for each caliber. If I wasn't shooting Bullseye I would not have the 550 I use for 45's.
    For the Lyman's I use the bench mounted RCBS priming system not the one on the press.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    I have the same Dillon 550 that I got in 1988 and it still works great after over 300,000 rounds. I still have a RockChucker I use for rifle loading.

Boolit Buddy
    I did all the research and didn’t want to do what all the cool kids were doing. I looked at all the different colors and decided what was most important for me. All of them have pros and cons and I really liked the LnL.

In the end I went blue and have been very happy. The product support and lifetime free parts made the decision much easier.

Boolit Master
    I use a Lee Loadmaster. Also had Lee turret and Auto Breech Lock Pro. They are all good but the Lee priming systems are the weak spot. Doesn't affect my processes as I like to prime in a single step. The Loadmaster takes some 'tuning' to work well. I've loaded 10's of thousands of rounds on mine. The Breech Lock was also a really nice press that worked perfectly out of the box. But, it is limited to .223 length stuff as a progressive. Sometimes I wish I had kept it for pistol ammo.

BUT.....as a 'beginner' I'd recommend the Dillon's. 550 is a solid package that works. FWIW, manual indexing is not that big a deal until you get into a unit that has auto bullet and case feed.

Boolit Master
    Dillon 550 for sure for me. The key to bottle neck rifle loading on the 550 is to size/deprime off the press. Then station one can be used with a Lee universal neck expander with an NOE insert or an M Die. Clean the lube off the brass in the tumbler before it makes it to the press.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fc60 View Post
    Greetings,

Watch eBay for a good used Star. Make sure it has all the bits and pieces. Many sellers have no clue as to what they are selling.

Cheers,

Dave
    Bad advice.....I have owned a Star...great machine for pistol but not for calibers the OP wants to load.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shootinfox2 View Post
    The Dillon 650/750 with the add ons and don’t look back. If money is not a problem, go 1050/1100. 550 if that is your budget. Keep the rock chucker for precision reloading, but for volume and warranty, the 650/750 can’t be beat.
    This is my opinion too...and I have owned the Star and every flavor of Dillon.

If you have the money...the 1050 is hard to beat for productivity...I had three when I was competing. Plus it swages primer pockets. Priming is positive and not done by "feel".

The 650/750 is a great machine as well. But priming is on the up stroke and done by "feel plus it does not swage primer pockets.

With the 650/750/1050 you get a station to add a Powder Check die which is worth adding IMO.

I have the 550 and like it for its cheap caliber changeovers and simplicity but it about half the output (300-350/hr) of the 650/750/1050 with case feeders (600-700/hr). You cannot put a powder check die on it unless you seat and crimp in one operation.

With limited calibers, the 650/750/1050 are your better options. Many folks with 550's either cannot justify the faster machines due to lower volumes and/or load a lot of different calibers. Some simply cannot afford more than a 550.

It is common for people to recommend what works for them...but how many will load 2000 rounds at a sitting? I have 20 SP and 10 LP primer tubes. Most folks have a half dozen.

The machine getting the most "votes" is not the one you need if you load a large volume of limited calibers.
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast