WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: De-frosted my powder mini-fridge: Powder Drying Question

Boolit Buddy

De-frosted my powder mini-fridge: Powder Drying Question

I store all of my powder and primers in ziplock bags with a desiccant pack dropped in before closing the bag. Over the last few years ice has built up in the freezer part and I finally took everything out and defrosted the unit. I want to re-pack everything in vacuum sealed bags before putting it back in the fridge.

With the ice buildup I had the thought of putting the primers in a toaster oven at very low heat for 5-10 minutes to ensure they are factory dry. This seems like a really bad idea. Lol! Thought I'd post on here to see if people think my primers are likely just fine. Or if this is indeed a bad idea (or possibly an okay idea). Thoughts?

Boolit Master

??????? You refrigerate your primers and powder?
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

April 1st?

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    I would never put them in the oven

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I do. Was advised to keep them in a cool dark place.

Quote Originally Posted by Electrod47 View Post
    ??????? You refrigerate your primers and powder?

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the confirmation. Won't do that then.

Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    I would never put them in the oven

Boolit Buddy
    It gets real hot and humid here in the Summer. My shop is not climate controlled.

Hot and humid here as well I hope you can stay cool too hot to cast where I am

Boolit Master
    Refrigerating powder and primers isn't an issue.

Storing them in containers other than what they came from the factory in is certainly an issue.

And putting them in a toaster oven just sounds like all sorts of bad news.

Boolit Buddy
    "Refrigerating powder and primers isn't an issue."
    What ?????????????????????????????????????///////////////////***************

Your primers are fine.....just let them 'dry' naturally. They're very difficult to kill...even if trying intentionally.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

I store my primers in ammo boxes with desiccant packs, my powders in original containers in a wooden footlocker. My 12'x20' insulated shed/reloading room has an AC unit but is not heated yet. Never had any problems.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Buddy
    Good to know. Everything is in factory containers. The only things in ziplock bags are the primers in their factory boxes (with desiccant in there along with them). Sounds like I'm okay and don't need to worry about them being too exposed to moisture. Thanks for the feedback. I'll stop worrying about it, Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaMike View Post
    Refrigerating powder and primers isn't an issue.

Storing them in containers other than what they came from the factory in is certainly an issue.

And putting them in a toaster oven just sounds like all sorts of bad news.

Boolit Master
    this is the first time I have ever heard of someone putting powder and primers in a running refrigerator or freezer.
    there are specific prescribed ways to store powder and primers
    here is a little information that might help

https://www.alliantpowder.com/gettin..._handling.aspx

the NRA used to have information for proper storage also.

but here is some info on proper primer storage

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...oc-Primers.pdf

Couple of years ago I went to Cabela's and bought 4,000 primers, CCI 500. I had primers in the backseat of my truck that night, and there was an angry thunderstorm that night

I failed to roll the back windows up everything in the back seat got thoroughly soaked.

I called CCI and they told me that I should dispose of the primers and not use them that I should give them away to the fire department or Hazmat.

Instead I put them in front of a fan until the wrinkled cardboard straightened out. Then I put them under the airflow air duct and I let them dry for a couple of months.

Since I decided they were dry enough I started using them. I have so far used 3500 of them. I have had zero misfires or hang fires. After that experience I agree it's almost impossible to kill primers with water.

On the other hand I have read somewhere and heard at the rifle range that smokeless powder is hydroscopic, meaning it'll absorb moisture out of the air. Whether that's true or not I don't know but it's what I've heard.

Boolit Buddy
    I was given a mayonase jar full of OLD primers, in wood trays no less. They had been stored in a metal cabinet outside a hunting shack for years. Just for grins I loaded up some .38 specials with them. Every dang one of them fired.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for sharing that experience! I guess after making this thread not only am I not worried about my primers but maybe I'll stack them outside of my fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    Couple of years ago I went to Cabela's and bought 4,000 primers, CCI 500. I had primers in the backseat of my truck that night, and there was an angry thunderstorm that night

I failed to roll the back windows up everything in the back seat got thoroughly soaked.

I called CCI and they told me that I should dispose of the primers and not use them that I should give them away to the fire department or Hazmat.

Instead I put them in front of a fan until the wrinkled cardboard straightened out. Then I put them under the airflow air duct and I let them dry for a couple of months.

Since I decided they were dry enough I started using them. I have so far used 3500 of them. I have had zero misfires or hang fires. After that experience I agree it's almost impossible to kill primers with water.

On the other hand I have read somewhere and heard at the rifle range that smokeless powder is hydroscopic, meaning it'll absorb moisture out of the air. Whether that's true or not I don't know but it's what I've heard.

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like primers can indeed thrive in less than ideal conditions! Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by r80rt View Post
    I was given a mayonase jar full of OLD primers, in wood trays no less. They had been stored in a metal cabinet outside a hunting shack for years. Just for grins I loaded up some .38 specials with them. Every dang one of them fired.

Banned
    The powder stored in its' original container at that temperature should outlast the owner. The primers really don't need the cold storage as they are heat tolerant and would suffer more from degradation from constant air circulation. They would be better in a ammo can but it is your house and you are free to take advice or leave it without criticism as that is your prerogative enjoy reloading as I do too.

Boolit Master

I was gifted approximately 30# of H4831 that had been left in an unheated /uncooled shed.
    The lid of the original cardboard container had broken open.
    I took it home and put in another 50# card board container.
    This container was exactly like the original.
    I loaded this powder and did side by side tests with my original H4831.
    It suffered no ill effects from being exposed to open air for who knows how many years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast