Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mould Cost

Boolit Master

Mould Cost

I recall when bullet molds from RCBS, Lyman, and others were certainly affordable. Perhaps I am getting jaded as I age but it sure seems to me that the cost of bullet molds from the major makers has SKYROCKETED well into the realm of "I'll have to think about this and see if the budget will allow it."

I just looked in the Lyman 2021 catalog and discovered bullet molds are now retailing for $102. I thought the purpose of mass production was to keep the cost down and make the product affordable. When a small business owner can make a custom mold for the same price, it doesn't take a genius to figure out where I will go for a mold. Truthfully however, at these prices I am rethinking if I really want the mold.

Then there is powder. Have you even seen the prices of powder?

Holy Smoke! Bird watching is probably in my future.

Attachment 287837

Boolit Master

For us "Old School" guys, these inflationary times seem out of control. To the Newbie, it's what the Market will bear. Newbies have a lifetime of use ahead of them to amortize the higher cost. If you are considering the purchase of a mold today - good luck. Perhaps you can find one that doesn't offend your financial future, used, on a back channel, or WTB ad. Might have to wait a bit...or, if time isn't on your side, bite the boolit, so to speak. A 50% runup (+/-) in fixed cost to GO is exorbitant. The alternative is NO GO. What's in your wallet?
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Bub
    I bought a box of stuff a few months ago. In the box was a Herter's single cav mold. The price tag was still on the box. $2.45.

Boolit Master
    I have no idea why you reference the Lyman catalog prices when there is a vendor with Lyman molds in stock for 76.11. (MidSouth as an example) True, the selection is very small at this time, but why buy from the highest priced source when others at more reasonable prices are out there?

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I haven't bought a Lyman mold in nearly 40 years. Some of the molds I have bought lately are from NOE and they are not cheap but they are high quality molds.
    I need to look at my boxes for the first Lyman Mold from the early 80's. My memory isn't that good but a DC mold was less than $20.

It's not only Lyman. Other mold makers as well. I just received a two cavity mold from a well known maker . Cost me $106. It's everything. Look at the cost of a new pick up. I remember well when gas was .18 cents a gallon.

Boolit Master
    Company catalogs prices are MSRP vendors such as Mid South and the like pay less from the company (dealer price) co they can offer a discount and still make a profit. Consider that labor cost,material costs have jncreased and supply/demand will effect the price of items . Case in point primers haven't checked prices lately but I suspect the going price for 1000 primers is at least 2 to 3 times normal retail.

Boolit Buddy
    Recently I purchased 2 Lyman 2C molds NIB. They are both NOS, were in the cellophane wrap and had the slotted sprue lock screw. They were marked with a price dated 1994 and they sold for $49.95. I'd say that in nearly 30 years the dollar has devalued significantly more than the 50% that Lyman has increased the price. Not too bad overall. It has gotten to the point though that I only buy used molds. If I'm going to buy a new one, its straight to SAECO or a custom cut iron mold from Accurate.

Keep an eye on ebay and S&S.

There's some good deals on both, but you need to check often.
    The good deals don't stay up on the ads very long.

If ya see a real deal, grab it.
    It probably won't be there when you get done comparison shopping, and thinking about it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    I have no idea why you reference the Lyman catalog prices when there is a vendor with Lyman molds in stock for 76.11.
    Because my post is a lamentation. For an effective lamentation I needed to locate the highest price. If I had lamented about used molds costing $45, it would have been a very ineffective lamentation.

Thank God it wasn't a Lee mold. That would have made it a Leemantation.

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    For us "Old School" guys, these inflationary times seem out of control. To the Newbie, it's what the Market will bear. Newbies have a lifetime of use ahead of them to amortize the higher cost. If you are considering the purchase of a mold today - good luck. Perhaps you can find one that doesn't offend your financial future, used, on a back channel, or WTB ad. Might have to wait a bit...or, if time isn't on your side, bite the boolit, so to speak. A 50% runup (+/-) in fixed cost to GO is exorbitant. The alternative is NO GO. What's in your wallet?
    I like the way you think!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post
    Because my post is a lamentation. For an effective lamentation I needed to locate the highest price. .

Stand up comedians and on stage performers would say, "Gosh...... This is a hard room to play".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Wow! I have 118 boolit molds, at those prices it would cost over $10,000 to replace
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    Wow! I have 118 boolit molds, at those prices it would cost over $10,000 to replace
    The days of $49 M-N M44’s and M38’s are long past as well. Like all things firearm related: one can’t pay too much, only purchase too soon.

Boolit Master

I got a 278 460, almost new, off ebay for around $70 the other day. It is Ideal marked and casts a dandy boolit , two at a time.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I found an RCBS mould about 9 yr ago and was ready to buy it but the shipping ran the $79.99 mould right up to $100 . That was when I bought my first NOE . For $109 to the door I got 5 cavities instead of 2 .

You're right it doesn't take a PhD to see the value .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

My view is that molds are an investment to be managed. It took me a while to come to this.
    I purchase any mold I want and cast a bunch. If the bullet is useful it's a long term investment. If something else better comes along, it's a new investment. Like other investments, I hold for the long term and re-evaluate in a couple of years or earlier if a situation changes.
    If the bullets aren't useful, it's for sale. Unlike a lot of other investments, molds tend to retain value. I hedge by casting a few hundred or a couple of thousand to store against future needs.
    Last edited by dbosman; 08-25-2021 at 09:27 PM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I keep telling the Mrs …. My bullet molds value is better than money in the bank …
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by winger ed. View Post
    stand up comedians and on stage performers would say, "gosh...... This is a hard room to play".
    truth!!!

In today's market, you can produce over $100 in boolits in the first casting. Prices are high, but it's hard to complain when the mold pays for itself right out of the gate.

Predicated on a fella already having a healthy stash of cheap lead on hand... Which I'd surely hope all of us seasoned casters have.

If you have to buy the mold and the lead, ouch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast