Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W Conversion to .44 SSpecial - Is it Feasible?

Boolit Grand Master

Same here, back in the mid '70s had a 4" M28 converted to 44 SPL. Shot many Lyman 429421s over 16 gr of 2400 through it but mostly the same bullet over 5 gr Bullseye. My hands just don't get along with N-Frames and heavy loads so i traded it off years ago. Sorry, don't remember who did the conversion or the cost.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Same here, back in the mid '70s had a 4" M28 converted to 44 SPL. Shot many Lyman 429421s over 16 gr of 2400 through it but mostly the same bullet over 5 gr Bullseye. My hands just don't get along with N-Frames and heavy loads so i traded it off years ago. Sorry, don't remember who did the conversion or the cost.....
    Wow, 16 grains of 2400. I reckon it was sure carrying the mail! BTW, the reason some of us have talked about a K frame in 44 Special is because the N frame is just not the most totable revolver. I know an L frame would be a smidge better, I like the K frame.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.darkcanyon.net/Converting..._44Special.htm

As a previous correspondent said, people have been doing this for years. As numerous other correspondents have pointed out, it is not cost effective.

Thanks to all for your informative posts. I had no idea this was a popular conversion in the day - or that the .44 Special was as popular among living gunslingers as it appears to be.

Will scrap the conversion idea and follow the advice of those who suggest waiting with $$$ in hand for a decent deal at a gunshow or local shop.
    Last edited by PBSmith; 08-25-2021 at 04:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    Looking at the completed auctions on GunBroker, the average selling price for a 6" 24-3 is right at a grand...more for the 4" guns and a LOT more for the 3"....

A few years ago I wanted a .41 Special and found a rusty 5" Model 27-2 that had no further collector value... A local smith pulled the barrel and sent it to JES reboring would would have also done the cylinder but was too pitted to use. I happened to have a Model 58 parts kit and ended up using that cylinder instead...only cost a couple of hundred for the conversion...

Jack Huntington at JRH Precision Gunsmithing can easily do the conversion. He did a .357 Uberti Cattleman to .41 Special for me a couple of years ago... Rebbore the barrel and rechamber the cylinder...nothing else to do...

Bob

ps...as far as waiting for a "local deal"...it's been years since I have seen a 24-3 for sale locally or at a gun show...the net is your friend...
    Last edited by RJM52; 08-26-2021 at 05:56 AM.

Boolit Master

Smith .44 Magnums are out there in no small number - including tapered barrel models like the 629 Mountain Gun that mimic the feel of the older, lighter Specials, and there are 624's to be had in .44 Special. Given that the supply exists, chopping a Highway Patrolman to get to .44 would border on a criminal activity.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master
    Someone made the comment early on, “Don’t build what you can buy.” I did my two S&W custom build projects to get a gun that was never made at Springfield for the first and one made long ago and super expensive for the second. I did a lot of very frugal shopping so the two 32 K frame guns I had built were economically viable. Forty four caliber N frame guns are no longer as unobtainable nor as (relatively) expensive as they were in the ‘70s when the project you describe was quite popular.

If you just have to have one of these 44 Spl Highway Patrolman conversions built, prepare to pay a hefty sum for the donor gun and a bunch for the factory barrel in 44 or to have the original barrel rebored. The builder can easily rebore your cylinder to 44 Spl dimensions (the only good news about this project!). At last report, Andy Horvath of LaGrange, Ohio, who has done a lot of these, is still working and will do one for you. If you have the parts, his labor charges are reasonable, but his waiting line is long, and if you have to have the barrel rebored, add several months and about $150 to the tab.

If you want to see how I had Andy build a Stainless K frame 327 Fed Mag for me, read http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...ect-616-a.html

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Sometimes the heart just wants what the heart wants
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master

Several years ago I sent a Model 28 Highway Patrolman to Jim Stroh to convert to .44 Spec. I had two of the 28's and sent him the one that seemed a tad more worn than the other. Mr. Stroh convinced me to go with a 5" barrel, which I did since I didn't have a great need for a 4". He had the original barrel rebored and he rechambered the cylinder.

I think he retired not too long after I got my gun back. Not only did I get a top notch gun but it is unique in that there won't be any more by Jim Stroh.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

My dream gun would have been a 5" Model 27 converted to 44 spec.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master
    I shoot LOTS of 44 Specials, but in 44 Magnum brass in 44 Magnum handguns. 8.2 grains of Unique or 9.0 grains of Herco under Lyman #429421 will give you "Skeeter's Load" ballistics (950 FPS from 4", a bit over 1000 FPS from 6") and won't beat you or your Model 29/629 up at all. In a Ruger Redhawk, those loads are docile. As above, "The heart wants what the heart wants", and I get that. Gunsmiths are like doctors or dentists--wonderful to have when needed, but pretty darn expensive when you are the one paying the bills. I would have some pangs of conscience over sacrificing a Model 28, and there is no way on earth I would take machine tools to a Model 27. Think "Tagger crew in the Louvre".
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    This kind of topic brings out a lot of the usual responses, “cheaper to buy a factory gun”, “save your money”, “you really want a magnum”,…

If you want to convert a Model 28-2, a Model 27 or whatever, go for it! I did the work on a Model 28-2 back in the 80s and turned it into a great 45 ACP revolver! Decades ahead of a similar one being offered by the factory. The 44 Special is a decent cartridge, much better than the 357 Magnum, so good choice there. If you can do the work, great. If not, Andy Horvath is the man. He has made a living doing those conversions. Not sure if anyone rebores barrels but Andy would know. Or JES reboring might be able to help. The fellow who rebored my Model 28-2 barrel has passed on or I would supply his name.

Here is my old Model 28-2.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6C4F33B3-E093-462E-87D2-072FDBA78932.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	287921

I also rounded the butt. It made for a great carry piece. At some point S&W did introduce a stainless version and called it a Mountain Gun. They are expensive when you can find them.

Good luck, follow your dream.

Kevin
    Last edited by StrawHat; 09-16-2021 at 08:22 AM.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

I vote go for it if it suits you. The same folks that say don’t convert a model 28 will also cry don’t get a model 24 for a shooter. I’m a shooter though. I say get what makes you happy. You might consider looking for a model 28 that’s already converted. Maybe, a want to buy add here or keep your eyes on gunbroker. I hope you find a suitable specimen.

Boolit Master

I have had some M-28s converted to larger calibers and they make nice guns. I have also bought some .40+ S&Ws. There used to be a shortage of .44spl and .45s in the marketplace. If you really want a M-28 conversion I say go for it. A 24-3 is probably cheaper on the used gun market as is a S&W mountain gun. However you get it, it is a good idea. If you had started to stock pile parts 10 yrs ago you would be in a better position to have a gun built. Meanwhile, now is a good time to start acquiring parts........

My avatar is a 686 .41spl custom by David Clements.........
    Last edited by ddixie884; 08-27-2021 at 10:12 PM.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    This one is priced about $500 too high imho.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/902896558
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master

If you want an N-frame S&W .44 Special, patience is definitely a virtue. If you can't find a used one to fit your needs you can always hope S&W will make another run of them. Demand for .44 Specials is cyclical, and S&W will pump out a run of them occasionally to supply the relatively limited market for each new generation of shooters who read about them and want their own. After the current panic ends, I bet S&W will eventually get caught up with producing their regular revolver calibers and make a small run of them. Be prepared to jump on one then, because it might be another ten years before they do it again. When it comes to .44 Specials, always yield to temptation, because you might not get another chance.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    This one is priced about $500 too high imho.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/902896558
    I paid $325 for mine new in 1985, so they’re all overpriced to me, lol.

OP: my suggestion would be to start querying gunsmiths who can do the work and get some quotes. I’d conservatively WAG about $250 for an M-24 barrel. That should give you some idea as to cost and feasibility.

The retirement of a few well-known gunsmiths doesn’t mean there aren’t some highly-capable ones who can do the job.

Frankly, my 24-3 has been a high-maintenance PITA. No, I’m not going to sell it, but no way would I pay four-figures for another one.

Name:	DSCN0151 (2).jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	288140 i paid 550 for my 624 four inch .44 spl in the box in like new condition. i have killed a ton of animals with it useing 240 hard cast at 900 fps

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eastbank View Post

ID:	288140 i paid 550 for my 624 four inch .44 spl in the box in like new condition. i have killed a ton of animals with it useing 240 hard cast at 900 fps
    Nice. A 4" is so practical.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Quote Originally Posted by eastbank View Post

Very nice. Are those grips original? They look like magma grips with the checkering sanded off.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast