Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: S&W Conversion to .44 SSpecial - Is it Feasible?

i don,t know, i bought them at a gun show for 15.00. i replaced the factory grips as i prefer smooth grips.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    This kind of topic brings out a lot of the usual responses, “cheaper to buy a factory gun”, “save your money”, “you really want a magnum”,…

If you want to convert a Model 28-2, a Model 27 or whatever, go for it! I did the work on a Model 28-2 back in the 80s and turned it into a great 45 ACP revolver! Decades ahead of a similar one being offered by the factory. The 44 Special is a decent cartridge, much better than the 357 Magnum, so good choice there. If you can do the work, great. If not, Andy Horvath is the man. He has made a living doing those conversions. Not sure if anyone reports barrels but Andy would know. Or JES reboring might be able to help. The fellow who rebored my Model 28-2 barrel has passed on or I would supply his name.

Here is my old Model 28-2.

Attachment 287921

I also rounded the butt. It made for a great carry piece. At some point S&W did introduce a stainless version and called it a Mountain Gun. They are expensive when you can find them.

Good luck, follow your dream.

Kevin
    The first thing I did with my 4” was have it round-butted and an action job.

Unfortunately, after multiple trips to the gunsmith over the years for endshake and finally Power shims, it’s got a .011 B-C gap.

All this has occurred with a round-count of about 3,000, none of them Elmer bombs.

About the only thing left to do is have the barrel set back. I love the gun, but given its track record, I’m not inclined to spend the money only to end up with an expensive paperweight after another 3K rounds.

Boolit Master

eastbank

Animals up to deer sized in that ton of animals taken with the 44 SPL?
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    I shoot LOTS of 44 Specials, but in 44 Magnum brass in 44 Magnum handguns. 8.2 grains of Unique or 9.0 grains of Herco under Lyman #429421 will give you "Skeeter's Load" ballistics (950 FPS from 4", a bit over 1000 FPS from 6") and won't beat you or your Model 29/629 up at all. In a Ruger Redhawk, those loads are docile. As above, "The heart wants what the heart wants", and I get that. Gunsmiths are like doctors or dentists--wonderful to have when needed, but pretty darn expensive when you are the one paying the bills. I would have some pangs of conscience over sacrificing a Model 28, and there is no way on earth I would take machine tools to a Model 27. Think "Tagger crew in the Louvre".
    This is pretty good advice. My 629 has had less that 50 full snort 44 magnum loads through it. My everyday carry/target/plink/fun whatever load is 16.6 grs of 2400 and a 429421 for 1000fps in the 4" barrel. You can use 44 mag brass just don't mash the gas as hard. On the other hand, I completely understand the lust for a 44 spl as I have 3 and love them. That thin barrel and short case just calls to us 44 guys.....especially since you can shoot it accurately without all the bluster of a magnum. Model 28's are not a freebie anymore so you could probably sell yours, if you have one and buy a 44 spl cheaper than a conversion. IF----you decided to do a conversion, remember it will probably never be worth what a real S&W 44 spl brings.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

A well done M-28 .44 or .45 will bring a good price but one documented to being done by a top smith will bring a pretty penny. I have a large pile of parts put away for builds I meant to have done that will probably never be used by me. Maybe my grand boys will use them someday........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    It sounds as though you want to have a Model 28 converted to 44 Special, but running at 44 Magnum Velocities. If that's the case just get a Model 29 or a Model 629. If I was wishing for another 44 Special it would be converted to 44 Special from a Model 19 or Model 66 K frame; like Taurus has already done. But I prefer a 44 Special running about 890 fps with a 240 grain SWC, that is accurate and has a reasonable recoil.
    K frames will only work for .44 with an oversized custom 5 shot cylinder and an L frame with a 696 cylinder works better. The L frame can be made into a .41spl 6 shot a lot easier. That is one in my avatar. When it was built there were a lot of police trade ins and the market was a lot better for a cheap donor gun.......
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    Spokhandguns used to offer a 5 shot, 44 S&W Special conversion for K frames.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E2EE9ACC-A046-43BC-91C5-46417404C11F.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	288809

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Converting S&W DA revolvers and Ruger SA revolvers to 44 Special was done back in the day, because used 44 Special revolvers were not common items on the used market and new ones were limited special runs if made at all. The 44 Magnum pretty much killed off the 44 Special. Today 44 Special revolvers are plentiful and common and it makes no sense to convert another revolver to a now common caliber. It is a waste of money and some kind of gun sin to desecrate a fine old Smith 28. They don't make those anymore.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    Spokhandguns used to offer a 5 shot, 44 S&W Special conversion for K frames.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E2EE9ACC-A046-43BC-91C5-46417404C11F.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	288809

Kevin
    Yes, they did. There must be 20 or 30 of them and they have custom oversize 5 shot cylinders........
    Last edited by ddixie884; 09-17-2021 at 11:01 PM.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    I can well understand your wanting to have a 44 special. On the S&W forum the 44 special has an almost cult following. have a 24-3 with the 3" bbl,24-3 with the 4" bbl and a 624 with the 6.5" bbl. Even with Winchester's 200 grain Silvertip hollow point loading in the 624 it's like shooting a 38 special. While S&W only made so many 24-3's with the 3" bbl, 4" bbl and 6.5" bbl and the same for the 624's in the same barrel lengths, they do not seem to come up for sale all that often. And when they do,they seem to command a good price when they do. I guess you'd have to check around with some of the custom pistolsmiths to see what they would charge for such a conversion. I don't imagine they would have S&W barrels and cylinders sitting on the shelf. I guess you could put a want to buy ad on the S&W forum regarding a complete 44 special cylinder and barrel and see where that takes you. Best of luck whatever you decide which way to go. Conversion or luck out and find either 24-3 or 624 series. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    I can well understand your wanting to have a 44 special…. Even with Winchester's 200 grain Silvertip hollow point loading in the 624 it's like shooting a 38 special.
    I looked into reboring my 5 inch M27 to .44 Special but decided against it. Instead I rebored an Original larger frame Ruger Vaquero to .44 Special with a .44 Magnum barrel swap. A much cheaper option. With a Keith bullet and 7.5 gn of Unique it does feel like a .38 Special.
    Last edited by fn1889m; 09-19-2021 at 10:22 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123