Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Remington 22 HP Centerfire???

Remington 22 HP Centerfire???

Was up in Mendocino National Forest a few weeks ago camping out & celebrating my 61st b-day at a neat old Deer camp that's probably been in use for ages. Found a very old, damaged but live centerfire round that is marked REM UMC 22 HP loaded with a long .22 caliber round-nosed bullet. Tried searching and turned up no info - what'd I find and what's the cartridge's history?

Boolit Master
    22 Hi Power.
    Basically Savage's 219 Zipper.
    Based off of the 30 WCF cartridge line, necked down to 22 caliber. My brother has a Savage 99 chambered in it, I've made cases for him from 25-35 brass.

Cool - Thank you. By the patina, it looks like it had been laying out up there in the high country for many years.

Or 5.6x52R as they are known here in the metric part of the world.
    Popular in break action shot/rifle combo guns or single barrel breakaction rifles.
    Uses a .228 cal bullet, not a .224.

Used to own a Valmet shot/rifle in 12gauge/5.6x52r. A good rifle on mixed hunts for small game up to roe deer. (Here, roedeer are the largest game allowed to use both shotgun and 5.6x52r on.)

Boolit Master

They are fun to shoot, but use a .228 bullet instead of the .223.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by Swede 45 View Post
    Or 5.6x52R as they are known here in the metric part of the world.
    Popular in break action shot/rifle combo guns or single barrel breakaction rifles.
    Uses a .228 cal bullet, not a .224.

Used to own a Valmet shot/rifle in 12gauge/5.6x52r. A good rifle on mixed hunts for small game up to roe deer. (Here, roedeer are the largest game allowed to use both shotgun and 5.6x52r on.)
    Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    They are fun to shoot, but use a .228 bullet instead of the .223.
    Well, I measured the bullet with calipers right where it protrudes from the case and got .2245 so?

Boolit Master

Pull the bullet it will be .227-.228. You are still on the ogive at the case mouth.

I had a Savage 1899 22 HP. Savage and writes at the turn of the 1900's pouted it as a big game cartridge it was not a big game cartridge. Reloading it Hornady was the only supplier of the correct bullet diameter at .228. Fun to shoot in that rifle but not a big deal for varmints bullet was 70 grains around 2900 over my screens.

Boolit Master
    Savage 99, 1912, 22 High Power, even killed some tigers, considered extra special in its day mostly 70 grain .227-.228 bullets, still produced in Europe, occasional runs of bullets and loaded ammunition in USA. Savage 99's were mostly light barreled take-downs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    Savage 99, 1912, 22 High Power, even killed some tigers, considered extra special in its day mostly 70 grain .227-.228 bullets, still produced in Europe, occasional runs of bullets and loaded ammunition in USA. Savage 99's were mostly light barreled take-downs.
    Am I mistaken, it did Karamojo Bell kill a few of the big 5 with a 22 High Power?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    If my eyes aren't playing tricks on me, there seems to be a bulge in the case.? Might be the reason it's unfired?

Quote Originally Posted by Schreck5 View Post
    If my eyes aren't playing tricks on me, there seems to be a bulge in the case.? Might be the reason it's unfired?
    It had quite a deep dent in it - almost like it had been run over.

The current ballistic equal to the .22HP is the .223 Remington with 70gr bullets, I think.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    My father had one of these during the 1930s, which was before I was born. I never fully understood what he was talking about. I thought the rifle he was discussing was a Remington, but maybe he was only talking about the ammunition.

Boolit Master
    Don't know about Bell, there was a preacher(?) in India used it on tigers, remembered from long ago. It was kind of the '220 Swift' of its day. I don't know if any body other than Savage chambered rifles for the 22 High Power in the United States, though Europeans used in single, double and combination rifles. Winchester, Remington, Savage, the Canadian ammo maker (CIL ?) made ammo. Graf's may have had some made, Norma did make it, maybe still does for Europe, probably some others, European or small custom makers.
    Last edited by MostlyLeverGuns; 08-25-2021 at 10:09 AM.

Boolit Master
    .22 Savage Hi Power
    ".22 Savage Hi Power" https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...+Hi+Power.html

I found it last night, Nathan Foster's website.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk